New Year Hunting

Had a kind invite from my curly haired mate to go give him a hand on his hedges. Took Roxy as i have been gagging to get her out with the ferts, and at 10 months of age, she is more than ready :lol::lol: She has been once previous in Sept, but it was a hot day and after a few bolts on that day, I was ready to go home, so in reality, she has seen very little of the ferreting game.

Anyway, it was one long hedge, as the always are, :lol: ...me on one side with Roxy, Ivan on the other with his two. His fawn bitch Kushti has really settled into the ferreting game. Not an intense worker like the collie crosses hovering and twitching and staring madly at a hole mouth, but very relaxed....and seemingly all knowing ;) She was covering both sides of the hedge which is the first i have seen from her and seemed to have a grip on where the action was and managed to scoop a few as they left the holes before hitting the nets.

Roxy knew she was out for coney,...... but took a few hours to click onto the fact that ferrets go in, we wait, watch , look and listen, then bunny pops out... 8-) Well, by mid day, she was that bit more focused, and was even trying to follow the action on the other side of the hedge that she could not see

Nets were no trouble, not once did she end up in the longnet, and she seemed happy to leave the netted rabbits alone, although hovering very close when i was there, and on occasion, either putting her paw on the netted rabbit or very gently mouthing it...to then release it immediately. This may be low confidence at this stage, but its encouraging behaviour and gives me a good position to work from.

There was one bunny that made it free infront of Roxy and Kushti, Kushti made the catch no fuss and Roxy did pursue Kushti, but hey, she is young and very excitable when coney is on the move or kicking around!

We ended the morning on 22 straight forward bolted rabbits. Luck or not, I ended up with about 2/3rds bolting my side mixing it between long nets and purse nets...so Roxy had a bumper training session....couldnt have asked for more, other than she also left the cattle alone and seemed happy bouncing over the fencing as appropriate throughout the day.

Below is a slide show of this morning pictures. click the link to open it up.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v491/delbertio/jan%2012/?albumview=slideshow

These are specific pictures i liked or wanted comment against.

1jan12fert002.jpg

Great rolling hills.

1jan12fert006.jpg

Well put together beddy x Bitxa. Loked a giant against Roxy. I have had a few dogs this size and bigger and i forget how nice and solid they feel

1jan12fert013.jpg

gaurded

1jan12fert015.jpg

No problem carying, but again today, reluctant to bring in to me, but seemingly better as the day progresed.

1jan12fert022.jpg

This dog doesent belong with a ferreting crew....she smacks of open country running ;)

1jan12fert024.jpg

always so casual......... like owner like dog :lol::lol::lol:

1jan12fert035.jpg

just cos i liked it.....

1jan12fert036.jpg

1jan12fert042.jpg

1jan12fert045.jpg

Net Patrol

1jan12fert049.jpg

Vantage point ;)

1jan12fert057.jpg

If you look at the slide show, you see a sequence of pics where roxy is walking up the hedgeline, then hears/see a rabbit bolt in the hedge, and she runs back the other way and then starts leaping repeatedly as she runs to give her some height to see over the hedge....was brilliant to watch. :lol:

1jan12fert070.jpg

1jan12fert073.jpg

Kushti caaught this one in front of Roxy

1jan12fert074.jpg

getting clear of the nets and going for a retrieve

1jan12fert082.jpg

There are plenty of pics of the rabbits in the net, but i liked the little sequence around this one bunny.

Further on down the hedge, the bunnies were bolting too quick for me and Roxy, 4 came out within a mater of seconds, leaving me to despatch and move, despatch and move....then sort nets and sort dog....proper sweat on ;) during this time, not once did Roxy feck about with the rabbits that awaited my attention, althought once dead and out the net, she carried one off around the field a little :lol:

1jan12fert090.jpg

1jan12fert108.jpg

Happy to watch over.......

1jan12fert111.jpg

Fine on the longnet...

1jan12fert121.jpg

EOD. I dont do these often, but for me, it had been a good productive morning ;) and wanted something to remember it by.

1jan12fert123.jpg

• Like 5

10 months there getting older roxy looks great , I keep meaning to get willow out with the ferrets but I just don't have the time at the

Mo , it's crazy how small they are a I put her next to her brother and he towerd over her I am certainly looking toward to the seasons ahead with her

• Like 1

10 months there getting older roxy looks great , I keep meaning to get willow out with the ferrets but I just don't have the time at the

Mo , it's crazy how small they are a I put her next to her brother and he towerd over her I am certainly looking toward to the seasons ahead with her

It's a nice size for the rabbiting game. I have yet to see in the flesh any of her litter mates, am sure I will see some of them at some point a folks paths cross. Like you say, the seasons ahead look promising ;)

Cracking result matey...enjoyable day all round i'd say? ATB Andy. ;)

Very enjoyable......all the better for the young one not messing up as some do..... :)

nice one mate ,, looks like a good day :thumbs:

I see you guys are certainly notching up the numbers at night, been ferreting the dales much?

Edited by tia.kins