Bass on fly - from the kayak

c ant beat a nice bass fillet , i would take a few to feed the family and freinds , there no piont in fishing to let every fish go if there a good table fish ,unless you have no freinds no means of bartering them , ,fresh bass good eating

• Like 1

Excellent! :good: I'd have taken at least one of those beauties home for the pot though! :D:thumbs:

Why? They are far to valuable to only catch once! If I want fish to eat, I would rather eat black bream, red gurnard or a host of othet fish. I have only had to take ONE bass in the last 15 years, a 6lber in Cornwall that I could not revive. I spent over 30 minutes trying to get her to revive and go back though - getting that fish to go back was more important to me than continuing to fish the tide.

Mate, it's a fish at the end of the day. :yes: I love bass as an opponent and target species. It's my ultimate catch & I'll never take more than I'll use, but being able to take home something for the table is the reason why I go fishing. :yes: Each to their own. :thumbs:

c ant beat a nice bass fillet , i would take a few to feed the family and freinds , there no piont in fishing to let every fish go if there a good table fish ,unless you have no freinds no means of bartering them , ,fresh bass good eating

Spot on whin.. :thumbs:

There is every point - SPORT. I like to think that the same quality of sport will be available in future years by looking after the stocks and being very selective. The number of anglers you hear about who think a 3lb bass is "A GOOD BASS" - it isn't, it is a small bass. A good bass is 6lbs or above (double the size most people think of as a good bass!)

I agree that the odd fish for the table is not doing any harm, but there are plenty of people who say they take "a fish for the table" when in reality they are takng 20, 30 or more at a go. They have done massive damage to shoals and I know of more than one good bass mark that now doesn't produce a fish, because ti has been fished out by anglers. Other paces have been productive for anglers and hit by nets, which is worse.

There is every point - SPORT. I like to think that the same quality of sport will be available in future years by looking after the stocks and being very selective. The number of anglers you hear about who think a 3lb bass is "A GOOD BASS" - it isn't, it is a small bass. A good bass is 6lbs or above (double the size most people think of as a good bass!)

I agree that the odd fish for the table is not doing any harm, but there are plenty of people who say they take "a fish for the table" when in reality they are takng 20, 30 or more at a go. They have done massive damage to shoals and I know of more than one good bass mark that now doesn't produce a fish, because ti has been fished out by anglers. Other paces have been productive for anglers and hit by nets, which is worse.

I personally don't know any non commercial angler who would take 20 - 30 Bass home. :no: Any sea angler who knows & respects the bass as a target species would baulk at the thought at that.

I agree 100% with your last sentence. :yes: I've little problem with sustainable commercial bass fishing with rod and line, but some people get greedy. :yes: I know one local spot where boys from up the line netted 5 tonne of bass in a few hours. :( That sort of fishing isn't sustainable given the slow growth rate of bass. :yes: Bass stocks seemed to drop dramatically a few years back, and I'm glad to see that there's a recovery of sorts under way, at least locally. :yes::thumbs: