fishing for dabs

right theres a comp on early january . on a beach i never do well at ...

but ive been told theres a few dabs down there ....

any advice on what bait and what tackle i should be using

ill be using 2 rods . 1 out to about 120 yards and another about 80 to try to find them quicker

If you are fishinng off Slapton, then try one hook on each rod with very thin mackerel strip, just of a size suitable for your hook - 1" long and 1/4" wide is enough. ragworm tipped with squid (again, just a tiny sliver of squid hanging off the hook) would be another bait I would try. I haven't caught dabs for years,but used to go for the big ones off Beesands each winter - January-February was the big dab time, and they got close to 2lbs some of them - really BIG dabs, most in the 12oz - 1lb size, but always some whoppers.

Turbot off the beach too - not Devon though!

IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

Edited by Acuspell

Good luck - my baits would be:

black lug

rag tipped with squid

straight mackerel strip

Fish Beesands rather than the main beach. Close to Hallsands end. Put one rod close to the base of the rocks, you'll often pick a flattie up hunting along the "edge". It has been warm enough for other stuff to still be about - cod coming aplenty from Cornwall, close in.

Guest long-tail

dont know the area but we always used black lug down at greatstone and dungeness,always had a spoon on the rig next to hook as well if i remeber rightly used to do well with a few plaice coming in on it as well,either way good luck :thumbs:

Guest long-tail

3 hook boom rig, size 2 hooks or a single hook rig with beeds an inch from the hook, better close in.

remember we used beads as well red and yellow if that makes a difference :laugh: sat above hook then the spoon :thumbs: