Cormorants wiping out fish. HELP

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it ain't the cormoRANTS its the immigRANTS !!

Well isnt this thread all jolly.....is it the fact its fish or the bird in question doesn't have a 'hook beak'...? ..... Shoot it, drown it, net it.......i shall remeber this next summer when some yo

so are you saying its ok to go out and break the law stubby,, you may think its ok to break the law,you just can't go and shoot them Ats will as you say but but saying so it may lead to people doing

Buy a floatation suit and make a scarecrow type thingy.

theyve got big orange inflatable ones here that inflate and deflate :laugh: mind id hate to think what county there in today after these winds :laugh:

They got one on a pond I know off and its got a motion sensor on it but instead of a light its got a horn on............bloody makes you jump a bit as I found out one night as I was about to dangle my worm. :D

I think your best option Crag is the licence route,nothing ventured nothing gained,always comply with the letter of the law,and however you decide to tackle your personal problem do it with discretion,I found this,makes interesting reading but as for its practicability I cant vouch.

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/JFO/v053n04/p0422-p0423.html

• Like 1

Go for the licsense, then find their roost, they roost in trees, in numbers, then shoot them if possible. Or, theres a river near me, that puts out straw-stuffed orange boiler suits with hi-viz waistcoats on, sorta techno scarecrows. They are definately getting braver though, you now get them diving thru your swim, 15 feet away, where as before, they would normally take flight when you dropped in a swim. I heard your now getting big inland colonies as well as the coastal colonies. Some sort of action needs to be taken.

place ropes over water on poles about 8ft high and about 4ft between and place foil or like strips off them and this would deter them,( rope a bummer for using rods tho) ,should keep goosanders and cormarants at bay make a few dummys but depends on the flight of the water, around the pond /pigeon scarer worth a try seen this on a few ponds inflatibles are a option also

not sure if your mate would get a licence tho a think that your only aloud to shoot 3 a year and have to bag them up and send to them ( not sure if this has changed now tho)

only acouple of thousand are aloud to be shot each year

hope you sort mate

He's got wire cages in the pond, a refuge for the fish. Been on a twitcher site and there's over 60 in his area. That's a lot of fish he's loosing. As soon as they see anyone near the pond there gone. Very difficult too shoot.

the trick is to be there when they arrive :laugh: 17hmr works well :thumbs:

speaking from a pestie point of view, applying for a license sounds ok, but you normally have to prove every means to deter them has been done first, ie the inflatables, flashing lights etc, which if the guy is skint, aint going to happen, plus you may get permission to shoot 3 or 4 a year, but what of the rest

Ive heard early morning visits work well with a rimfire, making sure to remove and dispose of any bodies, also finding roosting trees (heck of a lot of shit underneath) but of course Im not saying you should do that

we live in the real world here

Well isnt this thread all jolly.....is it the fact its fish or the bird in question doesn't have a 'hook beak'...? ..... :hmm: Shoot it, drown it, net it.......i shall remeber this next summer when some young keeper is getting his poults killed by some b*****d smelly c**t of a Buzzard... :censored:

Oh and good morning folks..... :bye:

• Like 2

Well isnt this thread all jolly.....is it the fact its fish or the bird in question doesn't have a 'hook beak'...? ..... :hmm: Shoot it, drown it, net it.......i shall remeber this next summer when some young keeper is getting his poults killed by some b*****d smelly c**t of a Buzzard... :censored:

Oh and good morning folks..... :bye:

:laugh: get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning did you lab :laugh:

so up north the buzzards hang about in packs of 10 plus like the commerants do, do they?

theres the difference

so up north the buzzards hang about in packs of 10 plus like the commerants do, do they?

theres the difference

Not uncommon to see 10-15 in the air up here buddy!!..... :yes: Just making the point that its seems to be acceptable on here to shoot a cormorant thats taking fish but not a hook beak taking birds. Probably something to do with the anti-keeper stuff you get on here!!