shogun / pajero swb views?

I would stay clear of the pajeros and the petrol ones. The 2.8 diesel are the ones to get so i'm told, never owned one myself but been in a few and they are good offroad, bit heavy on the juice but what decent 4x4 isn't? I would say rot and black smoke are the things to look for, plus check coolant and pressure when hot as i believe they could suffer from head gaskets (not as bad as the ford ranger trucks though). Chap on our shoot had a long wheel base one that he took a little over 300,000 miles. Smoked like heck by the end but she still went. Some good finds to be had if you manage to get one that has only taken the kids to school all its life. Can be picked up fairly cheap too.

nothing wrong with the petrol engine in the shoguns, well the 3.0 anyway. they do around 24 mpg in the auto version.

better chance of getting all the bells and whistles in the v6 petrol, i.e rear locker, leather.

watch out for rot on the archs and front valance. chassis usually good.

Got a pajero on my second one love them i would go for the pajero because theres no rust with them being imports i,ve got the 2.5 swb manual,the price of them are starting to up abit,go onto the pajero owners forum and read up on them thats the best way hope this helps.

I've had my Pajero since 2000, its brilliant, I will have another one when this one dies, but there is no sign of that so far!!!

Mine is the SWB 2.5 import and I cant fault it, all I have done is service it, easiest thing I have ever serviced!! A filter kit is a tenner from Milner Off Road! New exhaust, tyres, front shocks, bulbs and a new clutch at 100,000 and changed the belts.....nowt for 11 years driving and never let me down...rust not a problem.....couple of wee bits starting to show last year, thats all....

She stinks, is noisy, drinks diesel, but never lets me down....get one!

well, my tuppence worth.

my mate got a swb pajero with BFG ATs on.

he got stuck in field the other day. a short grass field, albeit quite soft... .. i went & pulled him out with my disco.... high range, difflock. had to give a few "yanks" to pull him out, but i never got stuck and never got into any difficulty really.

well, my tuppence worth.

he got stuck in field the other day. a short grass field, albeit quite soft... .. i went & pulled him out with my disco.... high range, difflock. had to give a few "yanks" to pull him out, but i never got stuck and never got into any difficulty really.

your forgetting that a bad driver could get a tank stuck on a football pitch

well, my tuppence worth.

your forgetting that a bad driver could get a tank stuck on a football pitch

Mr T?

Im loving my Pajero at the moment. You get good and bad examples of any make or model of car/truck so you'll always have someone with a tale of how awful they are. The 2.8tdi is a better engine (chain not belt, more torque, less prone to gaskets) than the 2.5 diesel. Although as said, very juicy :yes:

A common fault on the 2.8 is the fuel pump seal going causing bad starting and smokey. Had to do mine a month ago. The seal is couple of quid, but its a pain in the ass of a job to be honest.

But I do like the look of the pajero better than a shogun and the paj has more toys in it i believe.

Edited by samearl14

Had onefor years, get the 2.8 not the 2.5, get an auto and grabbers and off you go,,, get the lwb bags of room and seven full seats

If you get one that is just imported, yeh`ll need to change the injection pump seals ££££££££££££££££ or get one thats been done,, and get proof.

Other than that, bomb proof,, (Unless yer radiator splits and yeh dinnae notice !!!! hence the reason I`ve a discovery !!)

I do like the swb because of its manouverability and i have to back a trailer round a tight bend in yard which is a lot harder to do in my dads lwb.

But iv got two dogs and im considering a lwb for myself because with the dog cage in mine, cant get much else in sadly.