I have always kept myself fit , running , gym , footie etc. So for the past couple of months I have been taking my 9 month Beddie for a 2/3 mile run in the mornings and the same at night, and to be honest he loves it.

Last night I got my bike out and took him up the canal for a trot.

He absolutely loved it, cantering beside me, chasing the odd Rabbit in the adjoining feilds.

The only thing was, when I got home, I checked the distance that we had gone on the map and internet, and it seems that we covered 14/15 miles round trip.

Does anyone think that this is excessive for a young dog (or any dog) and do you think it may harm him in any way?

He didnt seem that tired when we got home, and he was bouncing around this morning.

I'd say depending on the fitness of the dog it should be grand but be carefull some dogs are that loyal that they will push them selfs too much just to keep with you. Build it up over time, i get out every evening with my two terriers they are running for most of the time then at the weekend they manage 4hrs hill walk no bother.

Edited by EOD

way to much for a 9 month old pup to be doing in my opinion,let the dog fully develop first,they will run that distance no problem and love it,but i would let the dog be a pup for at least another 2 months

Guest lurchers n lamps
way to much for a 9 month old pup to be doing in my opinion,let the dog fully develop first,they will run that distance no problem and love it,but i would let the dog be a pup for at least another 2 months

to much exercise to erlie can just cause problems better to leave it till the dogs fully developed for now shorter walks will do the dog more good

I wouldn't be doing anything like that until the dog is over 12 months at least. Hard exercise should wait until the bones are mature, but I confess I'm not sure when that is in a Beddie. My Beddie pup is 4.5 months, and I only lead walk him around the block - about 10 minutes. He gets tons of exercise in the house and yard playing with the poodle pup, and if he gets tired, he can rest. It's easy to get impatient to get the youngsters out, but keeping them back a little pays later on.

IMO i'd build up slow as a dog matures, 9 months is still young, also it's easy to go to fast on a bike your better of running as unless your an elite athlette your unlikely out pace a dog and if you build up the distance to quickly you will get injured before the dog. I run with mine across open land and on the beach at low tide this means that in warm weather the dog is easily cooled down with a quick dip.

to much exercise to erlie can just cause problems better to leave it till the dogs fully developed for now shorter walks will do the dog more good

i agree with these lads even a fully a fit adult dog you have to watch u dont over exercise a dog u can burn it out to fit to much is like not enough but a pup 9 months old legs and feet aint up to that watch u dont cripple him you could do lots of damage to him