hunting bales

any one give me advice on bales the kkeper i help has asked me to go tommorow to

check bales at the estate.2 foxes were seen on them this morning and he reckons

its the ones that have been skulking about beside his pens and he wants rid of them

they took one of his ducks and some hens but immediate earths were empty

and the bales are only 200 yards from the pens, the dens 350 -400 yards

so my dogs never worked bales before any advice would be appreciated folks...

will she enter as keenly into bales as she does an earth? im doing it tommorow so please please

let me know of any hints or probable outcomes if there is such a thing in terrier work

all sorts mate, big and small, i love um.

:big_boss:

imho round bales are the easiest to work. personal prefrence, a good little bolting bitch, not to hard(that they bottle them up so they cant move or get wedged in) and not to soft that they wont jump up or down at them to get them to shift. thankfully i have a couple that have got working bales down to an art.

if control was the issue would have competent shots in good persitions or good relable lurchers. i would also be tempted to stop any near by large earths and leave the smaller ones open. most foxes will bolt easily and quickly from round bales so be prepared.

if your terrier is good to ground she should have no problem running bales. espesially not round ones. like in big spots a good nose i required. although the way describe your bales they sound very managable compared to most round here.

now the next bit of advice comes form alot of experience in bales, some may disagree with it but i practice it.

i will not put a dog into bales that have netting on(most round bales) with any collor on, i have seen 2 dogs killed this way due to being hung up. the larger square or smaller square that have just string fine, as bolts from these can sometimes be more difficult, and location might be needed, but not round netted bales, the negatives far out way the positives in my eyes, but ofcourse thats your call.

hope that helps a bit,

wink ;)

they are not netted . is the entrances as easy to spot as at an earth,will it be obvious were to enter ?i know it may sound stupid but its not that common up here for foxes to use bales

should be easy to spot mate, i would just let the dog find her own way, but yes if they are usd there will normally be visable entrances/exits.

they will lie where its warm and dry, often off the ground.

ssems to be common sense and caution il tread lightly and let you know how i get on

tomorow ive got a usb for the camera so hopefully a pic too .im actually quite nervous

about the whole thing??????????? ive never done it this early either so there may be cubs

too dont know if thats good or bad???? it aint just for the sport there is problems now and sure

when the poults come there would be bother then they are too close for comfort..

but chaps im on all night so any more advice will not go a miss thanks all so far :victory:

ssems to be common sense and caution il tread lightly and let you know how i get on

tomorow ive got a usb for the camera so hopefully a pic too .im actually quite nervous

about the whole thing??????????? ive never done it this early either so there may be cubs

too dont know if thats good or bad???? it aint just for the sport there is problems now and sure

when the poults come there would be bother then they are too close for comfort..

but chaps im on all night so any more advice will not go a miss thanks all so far :victory:

My experience is that they usually lie on the bottom in round bales and anywhere in square bales.Some reason they always bolted better in square bales.I think this is because on the places I work bales the square ones are usually stacked in a huge barn and the dog takes a little longer to get there,where as there is fewer round ones along a hedge and the dog is straight on.Many times I have entered a dog that has draw foxes from round bales,and a few times had a dog that has pulled out both fox and another dog.