Jack Russel or Lurcher??

We are thinking of getting a dog for coney hunting on the permissions I have. We cann't decide between a jack or a Lurcher though. When it comes to personal preference, I am for a lurcher and Louise is for a Jack. So, over to youse guys who use these dogs on a daily basis. What are your thoughts, also, what would be the rough price of a jack pup or a lurcher pup?

John

why not get the two of them.

one for bushing, the other for picking up.

also they would be good company for each other.

atb,j.

A great idea. The one problem we have here is the tenancy rules.........NO PETS ALLOWED so, the neighbour next door has a Staffi and others have cats so, we are bringing the one dog in under the umbrella as it were and hope for the best!

What type of land is it, and what type of hunting are you planning? Obviously if you are planning lamping the choice is simple, if the land is thick undergrowth etc..............

No, flat as a pancake with gravestones at one end:) It is a Cemetary:) The permission is also in an really awkward area, right beside a main road and round a bout and is lit constanly with the over head sodium lights for the road leading up to the round a bout and the round a bout proper. Trying to shoot the b*stards is virtually a no go as they can see anyone approach all bloody night so, problems all round.

John

What type of land is it, and what type of hunting are you planning? Obviously if you are planning lamping the choice is simple, if the land is thick undergrowth etc..............

No, flat as a pancake with gravestones at one end:) It is a Cemetary:) The permission is also in an really awkward area, right beside a main road and round a bout and is lit constanly with the over head sodium lights for the road leading up to the round a bout and the round a bout proper. Trying to shoot the b*stards is virtually a no go as they can see anyone approach all bloody night so, problems all round.

John

To be honest sounds totally unsuitable hunting ground for either type, a lurcher will probably kill itself on the headstones or on the main road, and you wont be able to lamp it due to the street lights, and a terrier will np doubt get killed on the road too...........

To be honest sounds totally unsuitable hunting ground for either type, a lurcher will probably kill itself on the headstones or on the main road, and you wont be able to lamp it due to the street lights, and a terrier will np doubt get killed on the road too...........

Lets see if this works Simon then you can see the area. http://maps.google.c...=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

I also have the field beyond the boundry as well. The area where the rabbits are coming in are from the bushes all around the perimeter of the area, and none towards the gravestones area. I did think about the road etc hence why I wanted to put my neck on the block as it were with you guys who do this all the time.

John

Edited by Guzzik

Matey, i certainly wouldn't let a terrier run rabbits there, that looks a very busy road, and as you have said, the streetlights making lamping impossible, so best idea (to me) would be a lurcher and ferret combination BUT that road would always be at the back of my mind......

Feck off the graveyard for somewhere safer.

Get a lurcher! It's well known fact you don't need permission to hunt with a lurcher. :yes::whistling::angel:

Its safe enoughbro:) I like lurchers, i do.....She (the wife) isn't going with me hunting so, I can use a lurcher, I can really......Just talking my self into it now I know it is legal :whistling:

Matey, i certainly wouldn't let a terrier run rabbits there, that looks a very busy road, and as you have said, the streetlights making lamping impossible, so best idea (to me) would be a lurcher and ferret combination BUT that road would always be at the back of my mind......

Fair do's Simon. The other thought was Ferrets. Oh well, no doggie for me :cry: Thanks for the help though guys:)

John

I know exactly where that is and i certainly would be having a dog running after things there. Pretty sure the ground is sandy aswell so if the terrier buggered off to ground after a rabbit it could well cave in by the time you get a tool to dig it out. If you have permission then shoot it. I cant remember if the road to Wool has a pavement on it or not, and im pretty the field must be out of view of the swanage road because the bank goes down from the field to the road. Just call the shooting log at the police station and let them know you are going out lamping :thumbs:

P.S many rabbits there are there?? :whistling: