Trial befor you buy

Ok bit of a controversial subject this one that needs a bit more scrutiny. There's been a lot of comments made about seeing the parents work before you buy. Now there will be some lucky devils that have first hand knowledge of the parents of a litter and know if they're the real deal or not. But what of the lesser mortals who have no knowledge of the parents save what the owner tells you. Lets examine the rationale and the practicalities of traveling often great distances to see the litter. Well if it's the summer what do you do after a few hours on the road. Do you "a" insist on waiting till it's dark and see both parents work??? "b" accept that the sire is in another part of the country and take the owners word for it. And also taking into consideration the bitch having just whelped won't be in tip top condition to run anything.

Then there's the knowledge that your never getting the "pick" of the litter and are probably buying what others before you have rejected. So where does that leave you?????. Seems to me there's a lot of risk in buying a pup from someon you don't know and a lot of trust placed in sellers being honest with you. So this notion of buying from worker to worker seem a bit flawed to me and appears to be more down to luck than anything else.... What do you guys think???

• Like 7

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok bit of a controversial subject this one that needs a bit more scrutiny. There's been a lot of comments made about seeing the parents work before you buy. Now there will be some lucky devils that

you hit the nail squarely on the head pure luck, mind abit of homework would help

i have done exactly what you said an its worked an its failed so yes it is a bit of a lottery but there is higher chance of winning the lottery with that pup than any old pup out the admag an all bec

whats wrong with doing your research finding a dog and bitch that you know is a decent type, an waiting for a pup??

Absolutely nothing all I'm saying is unless your getting pick of the litter it's a bit of a lottery. Would you be happy with 2nd or 3rd choice or taking the one nobody else fancies because you heard the parents were decent?

Edited by undisputed
whats wrong with doing your research finding a dog and bitch that you know is a decent type, an waiting for a pup??

Absolutely nothing all I'm saying is unless your getting pick of the litter it's a bit of a lottery. Would you be happy with 2nd or 3rd choice or taking the one nobody else fancies because you heard the parents were decent?

i have done exactly what you said an its worked an its failed so yes it is a bit of a lottery but there is higher chance of winning the lottery with that pup than any old pup out the admag an all because you wanted it now, 2nd 3rd an even last choice dont come into it imo, i have seen a few litters over the years an yet iv never seen the folk getting the pups fighting over there pick, everybody wants something diffrent in a pup, so the 5 people to see the litter could all be wanting diffrent pups so to speak :thumbs: old saying goes pay your rmoney an take your chances :laugh:

• Like 1

i have done exactly what you said an its worked an its failed so yes it is a bit of a lottery but there is higher chance of winning the lottery with that pup than any old pup out the admag an all because you wanted it now, 2nd 3rd an even last choice dont come into it imo, i have seen a few litters over the years an yet iv never seen the folk getting the pups fighting over there pick, everybody wants in a pup, so the 5 people to see the litter could all be wanting diffrent pups so to speak :thumbs: old saying goes pay your rmoney an take yourchances :laugh:

Agree with you I think most folks are swayed by how a pup looks there's no way of telling how a Pup will turn out.... A lot of it's down to common sense at the end of the day. As long as the pups healthy you have at least the foundation to build on.

ive just bred a litter of pups there wheaten/grey xbull/grey i own the sire and dam and anyone that comes to see the pups is told to keep my number and give me a ring in a couple of months and ill take them out with the dam and they can ring me anytime and ill take them out with the sire if there happy with the pup and parents then buy it if not then dont buy it i cant be any fairer than that and im only looking £35 for them

• Like 1

You do to some extent rely on the honesty of the seller , but you can use common sense too , the condition of the pups , how and where they are kept , likewise how does the dam look , does it show signs of work etc even chatting to the vendor can reveal an awful lot , doing some homework and taking your time , will benefit you in the long run .

pick of litter has nothing to do wit it i do agree u want to see and no sire and dam are serious grafters ive a 16 mth old here at the min doin charlie bringing bunnies live to hand and has had a couple of long ears my mate bred his bitch to a real proven dog his bitch well well proven had a litter mate took pick lad tat owned dog got pup mates brother got 1 and mates son den i picked my pup now at 16 mth is bigger stronger fitter more game and jus a better all round dog than all the rest has run wit his litter mates jus a different animal no matter how gud parents are still not 100% all pups will make grade u cud pic 1st and i cud pic 10th and my pup cud be class and urs shite and vice versa jus my story and opinion atb lads :thumbs: :thumbs:

You do to some extent rely on the honesty of the seller , but you can use common sense too , the condition of the pups , how and where they are kept , likewise how does the dam look , does it show signs of work etc even chatting to the vendor can reveal an awful lot , doing some homework and taking your time , will benefit you in the long run .

Some good points there mate it's a bit more difficult if the dogs only been used for bunnies

ive just bred a litter of pups there wheaten/grey xbull/grey i own the sire and dam and anyone that comes to see the pups is told to keep my number and give me a ring in a couple of months and ill take them out with the dam and they can ring me anytime and ill take them out with the sire if there happy with the pup and parents then buy it if not then dont buy it i cant be any fairer than that and im only looking £35 for them

That's the way to do it mate!

some people will be lucky. know the breeder seen the parents work . some people will go by word of mouth. others maybe know no one view a litter take their choice without any prior knowledge.depends on the circumstances. a well reared healthy looking pup is a must.if you are serious about what work you are going to do with the pup. put in the effort and hope for the best.

Ok bit of a controversial subject this one that needs a bit more scrutiny. There's been a lot of comments made about seeing the parents work before you buy. Now there will be some lucky devils that have first hand knowledge of the parents of a litter and know if they're the real deal or not. But what of the lesser mortals who have no knowledge of the parents save what the owner tells you. Lets examine the rationale and the practicalities of traveling often great distances to see the litter. Well if it's the summer what do you do after a few hours on the road. Do you "a" insist on waiting till it's dark and see both parents work??? "b" accept that the sire is in another part of the country and take the owners word for it. And also taking into consideration the bitch having just whelped won't be in tip top condition to run anything.

Then there's the knowledge that your never getting the "pick" of the litter and are probably buying what others before you have rejected. So where does that leave you?????. Seems to me there's a lot of risk in buying a pup from someon you don't know and a lot of trust placed in sellers being honest with you. So this notion of buying from worker to worker seem a bit flawed to me and appears to be more down to luck than anything else.... What do you guys think???

As long as every thing is in the right place, i e the jaws not under shot or over, the eyes/ears/arse/nose look ok and its the x i want, i'l pick out the pup i like the look of!

don't matter what other pup's people have picked before me, Just because one person likes one pup don't mean someone else will like the same!

as for taking the breeder word,some times you just have to as its pure luck, but then you only get out of a pup what you put in!

a lot of lads who are bang into it have lots of film of their dogs working, not to brag about them on the internet but just to keep for their own use, kicking myself i never got the cam i wanted would of being nice to relive the nights i had with the bitch i lost 2 month back..own fault for being a tight c**t!