Culling pups

He is agreeing with you both.

Give the runts to pet homes, if you are worried make sure they go to homes that will spay/neuter them, without a pedigree (even if they are ped, you don't have to register them or hand over paperwork) most pet owners don't want to breed anyway and even if they do then you all know damn well no one who works dogs will want them. Also seems odd that you have at thread on this forum where someone just mated full brother and sister and no one openly batted an eye or posted negatively about it and people are in this one worrying about genetic abnormalities from breeding from pups that are not as strong as the others when they are newborn?

Again this is all just petty silliness over working breeds as pet dogs, we have our toys and you can't play with them childishness, there are plenty of other working dogs being kept as pets, gundogs, herding dogs and the like and you don't see people getting huffy over a pet Labrador.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I breed a litter , it,s my responsibility to home the pups , they stay with me till they are found good homes , however long that takes.

a topic that should never be talked about in an open forum,,,doesnt show anyone in a good light in dog world in 2day,s time,s     one thing ive learned over the years,,,,when litter,s born,,,,the r

I got banned from another site for mentioning "culling", but surely if people put more thought into breeding and bred less litters, and only from the best; there would be no need to cull ?   Cheers.

i only have this to add on that matter finding homes can be difficult enough for surplus welp,from good healthy stock.ON THE BROTHER TO SISTER MATING YOU MAKE MENTION OFF ,i have not seen this tread .But i will oonly say this it his the clocest one may get of inbreeding ,but providing the sire and dam of the sib bred pair are from diff lines they could genetically be a million miles apart.atb bunnys

• Like 1

i only have this to add on that matter finding homes can be difficult enough for surplus welp,from good healthy stock.ON THE BROTHER TO SISTER MATING YOU MAKE MENTION OFF ,i have not seen this tread .But i will oonly say this it his the clocest one may get of inbreeding ,but providing the sire and dam of the sib bred pair are from diff lines they could genetically be a million miles apart.atb bunnys

You are either Whin, or he's dictating what you say !! LOL !!

Cheers.

runt's turn out stronger because they get spoiled with daft sentiment like oooh pity for the poor little might give him some extra grub and a cuddle would like a lecky blanket ffs cull the little sh*te and be done with it ........ as for full litters i personally don't agree with forcing a bitch to whelp a full litter depending on the number of pups .... 6 pups is plenty in any litter but if the bitch looks tired i would half that number to 3

If only every one thought like this the well being of the bitch should always come before that of the pups a proper stock man can see when the number of pups is pulling the bitch and litter down and act appropriately there aint nothing big or hard about it, it is just stockmanship a skill sadly lacking in most.

runt's turn out stronger because they get spoiled with daft sentiment like oooh pity for the poor little might give him some extra grub and a cuddle would like a lecky blanket ffs cull the little sh*te and be done with it ........ as for full litters i personally don't agree with forcing a bitch to whelp a full litter depending on the number of pups .... 6 pups is plenty in any litter but if the bitch looks tired i would half that number to 3

If only every one thought like this the well being of the bitch should always come before that of the pups a proper stock man can see when the number of pups is pulling the bitch and litter down and act appropriately there aint nothing big or hard about it, it is-just stockmanship a skill sadly lacking in most.

Wouldn't a good "stockman" ensure that the bitch has ample food and care to compensate for what the pups take out of them?

• Like 2

i have done it in the past,but personally its a hit and a miss.you cant know if your culling the best (well unless they are physically malformed).look at the most famous greyhound of them all.mick the miller it was the runt and was gonna be culled.but a priest took it home and bottle fed it.won serious money for a runt lol

If only every one thought like this the well being of the bitch should always come before that of the pups a proper stock man can see when the number of pups is pulling the bitch and litter down and act appropriately there aint nothing big or hard about it, it is-just stockmanship a skill sadly lacking in most.

Wouldn't a good "stockman" ensure that the bitch has ample food and care to compensate for what the pups take out of them?

If you see the difference in a litter of say 6 pups as opposed to 11 has on a bitch and the litter then you would know that food aint gonna make the difference.

cant see why anyone would want to cull a perfectly healthy pup .yes if its sickly or poor fair enough but no other reason. and the old cabbage about to big a litter and pulling the bitch down bullshit .if you havnt got the time money or inclination to do the bitch and litter properly then simple dont breed to start with.last two litters ive bred 10 year ago and 18 months ago there were 11 in the one litter and 10 in the last litter and all were healthy and well done as were the dams themselves. no matter how many in the litter if you feed properly and put the hours in to the pups .ie start them lapping and feeding early and yes its hard work and time consuming but if you cant do it simple answer dont breed a litter .not rocket science is it . done properly its expensive and hard work rearing a litter and not all fun and roses but if you are going to do it then imo it should be done properly with no expence or time spared on shortcuts.

• Like 1

If you see the difference in a litter of say 6 pups as opposed to 11 has on a bitch and the litter then you would know that food aint gonna make the difference.danw food and vitamins and supplements along with time spent doing them makes all the differance no matter how many pups in the litter .

cant see why anyone would want to cull a perfectly healthy pup .yes if its sickly or poor fair enough but no other reason. and the old cabbage about to big a litter and pulling the bitch down bullshit .if you havnt got the time money or inclination to do the bitch and litter properly then simple dont breed to start with.last two litters ive bred 10 year ago and 18 months ago there were 11 in the one litter and 10 in the last litter and all were healthy and well done as were the dams themselves. no matter how many in the litter if you feed properly and put the hours in to the pups .ie start them lapping and feeding early and yes its hard work and time consuming but if you cant do it simple answer dont breed a litter .not rocket science is it . done properly its expensive and hard work rearing a litter and not all fun and roses but if you are going to do it then imo it should be done properly with no expence or time spared on shortcuts.

LOL 2 litters in 10 years you must know all the answers then.

dont know what happened to above post lol. dan w ime 57 had lurchers all my life and bred quite a few litters but only when i want a new dog for myself and without sounding off yes i can do a litter very very good.and although i havnt got all the answers i know the differance between doing a litter properly and not doing it properly . what are you saying because ime not a prolific breeder and pushing puppies out year in year out i dont know hoew to rear a litter of lurcher pups properly. and i stick by my statement if you ddo the bitch and litter properly and put the time andexpense in they can all be done and look well.

• Like 1