Culling pups

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I breed a litter , it,s my responsibility to home the pups , they stay with me till they are found good homes , however long that takes.

a topic that should never be talked about in an open forum,,,doesnt show anyone in a good light in dog world in 2day,s time,s     one thing ive learned over the years,,,,when litter,s born,,,,the r

I got banned from another site for mentioning "culling", but surely if people put more thought into breeding and bred less litters, and only from the best; there would be no need to cull ?   Cheers.

If your going to cull, i always thought the best time to do it was as they are born, or very soon after . ............. In which case drive wouldn't come into the equation! My guess would be smaller, weaker pups.

Smaller weaker pups can turn out to be the best/strongest out of a litter

Thats a fallacy. Usually when a runt is born, it stays the runt ! It's only people who buy them or take them on that think they turn out well ! It maybe 100/1 or 1000/1 0r 10000/1 that a runt turns out best/strongest in a litter, but the VAST majority of runts stay that way.....runts; no matter how much you love or nurture them .

Cheers.

runt's turn out stronger because they get spoiled with daft sentiment like oooh pity for the poor little might give him some extra grub and a cuddle would like a lecky blanket ffs cull the little sh*te and be done with it ........ as for full litters i personally don't agree with forcing a bitch to whelp a full litter depending on the number of pups .... 6 pups is plenty in any litter but if the bitch looks tired i would half that number to 3

If only every one thought like this the well being of the bitch should always come before that of the pups a proper stock man can see when the number of pups is pulling the bitch and litter down and act appropriately there aint nothing big or hard about it, it is-just stockmanship a skill sadly lacking in most.

Wouldn't a good "stockman" ensure that the bitch has ample food and care to compensate for what the pups take out of them?

i choked on my tea when i read the above comment by undisputed ............ talk about making a right t*t of yourself ....... i allways feed top quality food to my dogs whether they be with pups or not but bitch's go down hill fast after giving birth to a large litter of 10 pups and sometimes more so why the f**k make the bitch suffer more by leaving the full litter on her ?? there can only be one reason for leaving a large litter on a bitch and that is £££££ money money money pure and simple ...... ample food what a f**kin joke .

touch wood never had abig litter 9 was biggest ever 6 or 7 normal and the females handled them easy ,had them weaned early and onto lambs milk and meat bitch was up and about getting her shape back by the time the last pup left and the one i kept , but it does take it out them took me three months to get her going again and getting her fit gradualy

i choked on my tea when i read the above comment by undisputed ............ talk about making a right t*t of yourself. i allways feed top quality food to my dogs whether they be with pups or not but bitch's go down hill fast after giving birth to a large litter of 10 pups and sometimes more so why the f**k make the bitch suffer more by leaving the full litter on her ?? there can only be one reason for leaving a large litter on a bitch and that is £££££ money money money pure

and simple. ample food what a f**kin joke .

I thought about a sensible reply to this but in the end I couldn't be arsed. You've obviously had more experience of breeding than me by your comments. So enlighten me on how it should be done obi wan.

havn't gone through this all but if i wanted a bitch then 1st choice would be for the males to fade away / culled then if you could pin point any issues at that age then they would be next and sad it may seem but if colour was a issue then thats another group. then you would be left with a really small litter that would have what your looking for.

Isometimes often wonder what environmental back grounds some were reared in , just has a footnote has a boy my grandfarther only kept welps on a bitch that were had homes to go to any surplus healthy or otherwise were culled

.And yes these were not wasted they were put to good use no room for waste of any kind ,some may think i was grown in a cruel enviroment me i dont think that for one minute ,it has stood me in good stead , I see fellow enthusiasts that cannot cull rubbish in there fancy of canaries absolutely silly the cull his for the better of the stud no nonesense attitude his the only way in the world of stock breeding atb bunnys.