While I am new to this game I like to think I give my working lurcher the best food that I can afford.

I feed her on raw chicken with sardines and the odd egg, some veg.

I am now told by a guy who works lurchers that the raw chicken will do her more damage if I continue to feed it to her. I was told some months ago that chicken is one of the best feeds a lurcher can have, I am a wee bit confussed here, I am now told that the chicken bones will end up ripping the inside of her, can any of you lurcher people please inform me of the cons and pros of feeding raw chicken?

firstly tell this guy who works lurchers to feck off and get some show poodles as he knows f**k all .... chicken is one of the best meats for conditioning dogs if you want to build good bone or put some muscle on as it is high in protein and has a very good meat to bone ratio if you feed carcass with just enough fat to keep the dog going .... as for the bone taht is an old wives tale ALL bones are absolutely fine to feed to a dog as long as they are RAW ... it is when bones are cooked in the oven that they splinter as the baking process changes the make up of the bone .... now all that said i dont feed a lot of chicken to my dogs when i am working them hard as there isnt enough fat in chicken and dogs derive their energy from fats ... i much prefer a beef meal as the protein level is good and there is plenty of fats for energy ... if one of my dogs looks to be losing a little weight through the hunting season i will put them back on chicken and give them a week off to build back up ...........

Socks thanks for that. :thumbs-up:

I was told by macker that chicken was a good meal for my bitch, so I started feeding her this, then the guy who sold me the dog was on the phone tonight and thats when I told him I was feeding chicken, I hope he is not on this site the prick.

firstly tell this guy who works lurchers to feck off and get some show poodles as he knows f**k all .... chicken is one of the best meats for conditioning dogs if you want to build good bone or put some muscle on as it is high in protein and has a very good meat to bone ratio if you feed carcass with just enough fat to keep the dog going .... as for the bone taht is an old wives tale ALL bones are absolutely fine to feed to a dog as long as they are RAW ... it is when bones are cooked in the oven that they splinter as the baking process changes the make up of the bone .... now all that said i dont feed a lot of chicken to my dogs when i am working them hard as there isnt enough fat in chicken and dogs derive their energy from fats ... i much prefer a beef meal as the protein level is good and there is plenty of fats for energy ... if one of my dogs looks to be losing a little weight through the hunting season i will put them back on chicken and give them a week off to build back up ...........
ok socks,you mentioned about putting meat in the cooker and the bones splinterring,how do you rate it,when boiled,ie turkey wings..whats the advantages and disadvantages.. Edited by hafod

boiling wont effect the bones and they wil be fine ... but any heat kills the protein in the meat so by boiling you are lessening the protein values in your meat .........

Sam as we speak the crew are heading to his abode, wait for the bang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh:

Socks

When you say beef meal what do you mean, is it pure beer or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Raw chicken is great food, especially with the bones. For small dogs and pups I feed chicken necks, and you can get babies started on it by mincing up the necks with a clever. The bone is top nutrition. The carcase is great too, as it is soft marrow rich bone, and cheap.

While it's true that all raw bones are good for dogs, you have to watch them. I'd never leave a dog alone for long with a bone, as there can be accidents. On two occasions my Golden Retriever got a lamb shaft bone stuck in her mouth when a molar pierced it and jammed. Potentially slivers of raw bone can pierce the gut, but it has to be an unlucky fluke. The benefits of raw bones far outweigh the dangers in my view.

Try lamb bones as well. Ribs if possible. The bones give them something to work their teeth with. As they try and get the marrow and crunch the bones up it keeps their teeth sharp and in good condition.

Don't be alarmed by white dog shit when feeding raw. This is normal.

Edited by ChrisJones