Gutted

Guest jrt

I wouldn't be too concerned, some 5 month old pups are still babies where as others need holding back, just keep giving him the opportunity and he will eventually click. Try getting him out with some experienced dogs.

i started my patterdales at 7 moons and they are pretty hard bitten on long tails , with older dogs , five moons its still should be getting walked and ragging dead fox fur etc you get a crack on these net channels but full of eejits and people who have never walked the walk or , i have a dog what age will it catch a fox , what size will it end up whats the best cross , it goes on ,whats the best dog for killling red deer stags etc , there either drugged or drunk , what heights the best for a long net , go out and learn with like minded or like a lot of us trail and error or through nessecity , go out an dlearn with like minded adults or older wiser guys ,

Thats why hes here mate, to try to learn from people like you who supposedly have some good advice :big_boss:

The trouble is to many people are quick to slate these lads who come asking for knowledge......If you want to keep the sport going give some advice, dont tell him to go ask someone else...........ffs :no:

Edited by RatSnatcher

JRT, give him time, my liitle bitch the first time i took her out at 9-10 months was fecking useless and i was the same as you no other dog to show the ropes but after she got her first there was no holding her back, she almost always gets all the rats on days when they are few and far between now.

dont worry about it and wait another month or two.

ONE THING IS SURE, HE WILL PICK UP ON YOUR IMPATIENCE AND THIS WON'T HELP AT ALL.

MAYBE YOU ARE TREATING IT TOO SERIOUS, THE BEST WAY WITH PUPS IS TO MAKE IT LIKE A GAME AND BEFORE LONG HE WILL AS SERIOUS AS YOU SEEM TO BE ;)

Excellent advice David :thumbs-up: its very easy to ruin a very young dog by expecting too much of them. Remember a puppy is a baby animal.

Be patient, and your patience will be rewarded, dont forget that its just a puppy. Introduce it to work, but do it gradually and gently without high expectations :) Make a huge fuss when your dog does something you really approve of, but just ignore the times it doesn't - dogs are very sensitive creatures, they can sense when you are not pleased with them and will pick up on your frustrations. Be heavy handed and expect too much from a very young pup and you will reap the consequences - unfortunately Ive seen it happen. Don't spoil your pup, let it develop in its own time - it will ..

The dog in the pic was of a similar age & the only dog that day not to catch a rat........!!!!!!!!...........He run about with a dead one but that was it................He later went on to become a TOP CLASS digging terrier.....In fact he can be seen this mnth in the EDRD....The small strong choc dog with a trophy....That was just a bit of fun...........But he exceled at earth work & had seen more in his short life than alot of terriers will in their careers...........He sadly died of suspected poisoning..... :(

kent1.jpg

Excellent advice David :thumbs-up: its very easy to ruin a very young dog by expecting too much of them. Remember a puppy is a baby animal.

Be patient, and your patience will be rewarded, dont forget that its just a puppy. Introduce it to work, but do it gradually and gently without high expectations :) Make a huge fuss when your dog does something you really approve of, but just ignore the times it doesn't - dogs are very sensitive creatures, they can sense when you are not pleased with them and will pick up on your frustrations. Be heavy handed and expect too much from a very young pup and you will reap the consequences - unfortunately Ive seen it happen. Don't spoil your pup, let it develop in its own time - it will ..

Well said, :clapper: cannot say any more than that wise words :)