.177 for hunting

HI

I Shoot both. but i can say i have had more kills with .22 and to many runners with .177 I read a article on pellets on the mart gun web site have a look manly on the bottom of page

www.gunmart.net/accessories.../.177_and_.22_calibre_hunting_pelle...

What web link? It does not work! .177 is more than capable of one shot killing rabbits! I have not had any kick due to waking up after being shot in the head by the .177!

Edited by secretagentmole

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the trouble with you moley is that you only read about what youre supposed to do,just like when you where going shooting pigeons ,you mate havent got a clue.

a couple of flyers there mate!lol,,seriously its all down to practise ,then practise and then somemore practise.

All i use is a .177 and i get my fair share of tackle...... All i can say is, if your getting runners you want to leave off the live quarry until you get your gun to hit where its pointed...or learnt

Lads,

What Villaman has said is also true.

If the shot is a slight bit out the kill zone on a quarry species the .177 can drill straight through causing very little damage or damage that causes a slow death.

.22 does this too but to a lesser effect as a body shot with a .22 causes more internal damage and a .25 causes massive mounts of damage.

I proved this on the new DVD when I did a full test on stopping power.

I have also hit vermin with a .177 and it as run off and died metres away, this is because my shot wasn’t perfect even though I tried to make it perfect. A gust of wind at the last second, the animal moves as the shot is released, all acts of God.

I have never witnessed a rabbit shot perfect though and it not die instantly in any calibre.

The simple answer is everyone no matter how good you think you are needs to practice on paper and metal before you go out and shoot vermin.

13 weeks ago down in Wiltshire when I was home last I went shooting with 2 of the best shots I know on this forum and probably on many forums and they practiced for about 3 hours on paper and metal at ranges up to 50 metres before they went out shooting vermin.

Check zero, check trajectory hold over points, practice and it all paid off with about 31 rabbits, a squizzer and a woody with the closest at about 35 yards all humanely shot.

True sports men, well prepared and great ambassadors of our sport.

Si

Edited by zini

177_and _22_ calibre hunting pellet review put that in google search and it should come up

All I can find is an American site going into it, which is about as applicable as the FPE required to get a bowl of macaroni through the air! They use air rifles for hunting wild pigs over there! We are hunting small animals, not 100lb wild pigs...

Edited by secretagentmole

HI

I Shoot both. but i can say i have had more kills with .22 and to many runners with .177 I read a article on pellets on the mart gun web site have a look manly on the bottom of page

www.gunmart.net/accessories.../.177_and_.22_calibre_hunting_pelle...

What web link? It does not work! .177 is more than capable of one shot killing rabbits! I have not had any kick due to waking up after being shot in the head by the .177!

the trouble with you moley is that you only read about what youre supposed to do,just like when you where going shooting pigeons ,you mate havent got a clue.

• Like 2

All i use is a .177 and i get my fair share of tackle......

All i can say is, if your getting runners you want to leave off the live quarry until you get your gun to hit where its pointed...or learnt to shoot . :thumbs:

You hit something right with an air rifle doing even 9ft/lb and its going to heaven. :angel:

There's alot of bullshitters have strong set-in-stone opinions on topics when they haven't had enough experience to give a valued opinion on.

No matter what quarry , you hit him where his kill zone is he's going to die. JMHO JD

• Like 1

It was the 15 minute waking up bunny that got me! Also I read what I am supposed to do, try it, then if it does not work, make changes, I only got a magnet and flapper because they were with the 80 odd decoys that we bought via the for sale section! I find it useful to read what you are supposed to do, even if you ignore what it says, however might I suggest you read this...

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/182473-spring-air-rifle-shooting/

Try doing what Simon suggests...

All i use is a .177 and i get my fair share of tackle......

All i can say is, if your getting runners you want to leave off the live quarry until you get your gun to hit where its pointed...or learnt to shoot . :thumbs:

You hit something right with an air rifle doing even 9ft/lb and its going to heaven. :angel:

There's alot of bullshitters have strong set-in-stone opinions on topics when they haven't had enough experience to give a valued opinion on.

No matter what quarry , you hit him where his kill zone is he's going to die. JMHO JD

:yes: Now thats a 100% true answer if i ever read one JD :thumbs:.

I couldnt of said it any better myself buddy.

There would be a slut point awarded buddy if i new how :thumbs:

Si.

Edited by zini

i have had a head shot rabbit start bouncing round the back of the van 10 miniutes after being shot with a 22 didnt check for a pulse lol just put it down to being bit of a high shot that knocked it out.

177 and .22 Calibre Hunting Pellets review | Airgun Ammunition ...

www.gunmart.net/accessories.../.177_and_.22_calibre_hunting_pelle...Cached

You +1'd this publicly. Undo30 Dec 2009 – Mark Camoccio gives his thoughts on hunting pellets in the two main calibres - .177 and .22.

Are .177 best?

Having mainly shot .177 over the years, I have had somewhat mixed results when hunting. Recently I’ve had a string of rabbits that have still managed to move a short distance, even after a registered head shot, which has made me re-evaluate my approach, and consider further experiments with larger calibres and pellet designs. As a result, I seem to be moving towards sticking with .22 for hunting, and have certainly had far more clean kills with this calibre (Daystate FT incidentally) of late.

One thing is for sure - there is no shortage of options out there in today’s vibrant airgun market… just remember to do your homework!

no matter how great a shot you think you are sooner or later you will clip a target rather than hit it.

Its nature sometimes they startle or a gust comes mid shot - whatever it happens to us all

I know from experience that I'd rather clip a bunny's skull with a 22 than with a 177.

Simple maths - 22 delivers more kinetic energy; harder punch; more margin of error.

My take is that it depends if you feel guilt about it.

IMO the margin for error increase of .22 over .177 is small, but certainly notable.

I've nothing against .22, in fact I hunted exclusively .22 springers for the first 10 years of my airgun hunting experience.

With my .177 pcp, I find any slight range finding error doesn't result in a miss, unlike with the more lobbed trajectory of the .22.

I'd have to say though that the need for good shot placement is even more important with .177, but easier to attain.

Regarding bunnies jumping around after being headshot - ever killed a chicken? They can run for 10 mins with no contents in the head, or indeed entirely minus head!

Every now and then nervous reactions from a shot bunny will make it appear still alive. Once I shot a young bunny clean through the brain box and it kept bouncing. So I closed in and put 2 more pellets through its bonce, point blank. It still bounced, despite the fact that its head was empty of brain.

I think it largely depends on what the animal was doing just before it got shot. I've noticed that bunnies grazing contentedly seem to just slump over when the pellet arrives, whereas those that have been chasing each other around and then get shot when they pause, ride the invisible bicycle on their backs for a while. Dead of course, just adrenalized and carrying on as a nervous reaction.