.177 for hunting

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the trouble with you moley is that you only read about what youre supposed to do,just like when you where going shooting pigeons ,you mate havent got a clue.

a couple of flyers there mate!lol,,seriously its all down to practise ,then practise and then somemore practise.

All i use is a .177 and i get my fair share of tackle...... All i can say is, if your getting runners you want to leave off the live quarry until you get your gun to hit where its pointed...or learnt

Hi Jimmy,

As the others have already said :yes: .

Nothing wrong with a .177 for hunting as long as you can hit the vermin in the kill zone, if you miss slightly then you may have a problem and will probably need to re think your max range for humane hunting pal, dropping it by 5 yards at a time until your putting all your shots it a 1 inch kill zone.

The rabbit won’t give a rats bum though if it’s a .22 or .177 that strikes it in the brain mate, its dead ;)

Also a .22 is just as accurate as a .177 if shot correctly mate, don’t get confused with calibre and accuracy, yes a .177 is easier to gain good accuracy from due to certain ballistic characteristics of the faster lighter projectile but with practice and with a correctly calibrated combo, a .22 will still put pellet on top of a pellet at the ranges a .177 will believe me especially if the pellet is the best matched pellet for the .22 barrel and the bloke or woman behind the trigger are doing their part well.

I’ve just been sent and am testing a new rifle for a company in the UK (not saying anymore about the rifle in regards to make and model yet).

The rifle is a .22 rifle and I have footage of me shooting a 1 hole group (5 shots) with 15.9 grain RWS Super Field pellets using it. I’ve also go footage of it smashing targets at all sub 12 foot pound hunting ranges in wind too with ease.

Believe me this rifle in .22 is just as accurate as a .177.

ATB

Si.

Edited by zini

HI

I Shoot both. but i can say i have had more kills with .22 and to many runners with .177 I read a article on pellets on the mart gun web site have a look manly on the bottom of page

www.gunmart.net/accessories.../.177_and_.22_calibre_hunting_pelle...

If you have too many runners using .177 then you are getting too many neck shots pal! A .177 Crosman premier pellet to the noggin has accounted for loads of bunnies with me! You have to be able to accurately hit though, what do I mean by accurate?

HPIM0842.jpg

That is a 35 metre 10 shot grouping of ,177 pellets...

DSC00361.jpg

That is a 14 shot grouping using .22 zeroing in my SR6 at 30 metres...

You need to get this accurate before taking on quarry. A .177 accurately shot will kill, very effectively, I have had lots of .177 prey, rabbits mainly, but pigeons as well! You do need a good pellet, I prefer Crosman Premiers, as they damned well work! You get very few to no unusable pellets in a tin (have not found any yet) and they cost less than many others out there!

I only do head shots not neck shots . I can all so do groups as good as you with .177 and .22 . I am not some gun ho shooter who cant shoot Ive been shooting for a few decades on and of since i was 14 some37 years a go. I have shoot a rabbit in the head went to get it and it was a spot on shot ,brought it back left it by the gate and 15 minutes later it started kicking and making a noise that was with .177 10.3 gr. pellet ,that was witnessed by my shooting pal ITS not only me saying it but some other experienced shooters, that's why i put up that web site for people to look at .