really struggling with poor light conditions at the moment and struggling to get head to tail sharpness in my images. Is it a case of banging up the iso to increase my shutter speed or do I need to change my f number to something other than f4?

really struggling with poor light conditions at the moment and struggling to get head to tail sharpness in my images. Is it a case of banging up the iso to increase my shutter speed or do I need to change my f number to something other than f4?

I am having to slow the shutter speed down , but then you get blured pics unless you use a tripod , i give up now till the sun comes out a bit :laugh:

I am having to slow the shutter speed down , but then you get blured pics unless you use a tripod , i give up now till the sun comes out a bit :laugh:

Lol I know what you mean Kay but if I did that I'd only get out twice a year if I was lucky.

A tripod will help if you are using slow shutter speeds, becaue there will be less risk of camera shake, but won't prevent blur with a moving target.

If you're using f4 with quite a long lens you'll find depth of field is very limited so try and focus on the most important area, which in the case of dogs etc, is usually the head and eyes. Using a smaller aperture (higher f number) will give you a better focus range, but will mean that you have to use an even slower shutter speed to compensate for the lens letting less light reach the sensor...

You can't win, so bang the ISO up to what you can reasonably get away with on your particular camera. It is possible to hand hold shots at quite low speeds but it takes practice, and the longer the lens focal length, the more any movement will be amplified... A general rule is that shutter speed needs to equal focal length to avoid camera shake. Image stabilising helps and allows you to use a slower speed, but won't help much with action shots because it can slow the auto focus down.

For fast moving targets you can get good shots by panning (following the subject with the camera) which will give a good feeling of movement but legs etc will be blurred.

Have a look here , some great tips .

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

:thumbs:

You can increase the ISO , but the quality will decrease . Have a look online for

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=understanding+exposure&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12159470216999918688&sa=X&ei=GUWLTp6FMdK38QP8-sS5BA&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAw

( i downloaded a copy from pirate bay )

Just have a mess , atb Buster

Dull days, dull photos matie, aint nothing you can do about it..but, that lense is sharp wide open, stick a 1.4 or 1.7 tc on it and its still sharp wide open, it is truly on of the sharpest lenses on the market..

Edited by Romany