Amount of ferrets

When out ferreting im shattered once im done and back home, now when i think that my ferrets are working away, running around underground. they must get tired obviously but still work in a manner, now im using 4 ferrets most the time but if i go out the next day and use the same 4 i dont think they work as well. does anyone else rotate there ferrets when working so constantly have fresh ferrets on the job, i no people use the same ferrets all day but im sure they wont be working as hard as what they would do in first hour.

I keep 12 (although 2 need new homes) and my ferreting partner keeps about 10, so we always have plenty of fresh ferrets ready to go.

When i am out on my own i tend to take 2 / 4 depending on the type of ground being worked and if they have a full day, rotate in different ferrets for the next day.

I am currently giving my one jill a weeks rest as she has probably bolted about 50 or more rabbits herself in the last few weeks and has taken a few nasty knocks.

2 big hobs will work all day

So will a brace of decent fit jills. Feck carrying 6 or 8 ferrets and all the gear to the holes and then the same and all the rabbits back again. If it was a 100 hole warren then fair enough but theres not many working warrens like that week in week out.

2 big hobs will work all day

So will a brace of decent fit jills. Feck carrying 6 or 8 ferrets and all the gear to the holes and then the same and all the rabbits back again. If it was a 100 hole warren then fair enough but theres not many working warrens like that week in week out.

dont carry anything we drive round all our permissions to much gear to lug round on foot

Im working warrens around 50 holes + most the time, some of them very deep as i have noticed sometimes i cant pick the ferrets up on collars. I have four jills and work them all but i just started to think i may need couple more for when im ferreting the next day, like to work enough ferrets to get things moving below ground and stop just the 1 or 2 ferrets getting the run around below...

Last season we used 5 ferrets most times out and rotate them throughout the day, just got another hob to add to the team this year and will be getting a few smaller warrens to do in the next couple of months.

Some of the bigger warrens we do we could sometimes do with another couple of ferrets but I like to work all of my ferrets one day a week through the season and feel 6 is enough to carry on top of the other stuff we have to carry around.