Ending a tenancy agreement early?

Been living in my house now for just over a year. Been to look at another house to rent, this house is far better than the one I'm in just now. There's lots of land with it, a secure back yard and it's out in the sticks. They also don't mind the dogs or ferrets which was always going to be a problem.

This is right in the middle of nowhere and i am frothing at the mouth with the amount of land available to walk the dogs and the potential to work them and the ferrets right on my doorstep.

Now my question is, I have 11 months left on my tenancy agreement for the current house. I have paid a deposit and wish to end it early.

What can I do in this situation? And do I just ring the landlady and explain? Maybe say I have to move because of work or what?

I'm currently in an upstairs villa with a decent garden, it's such hard work with the dogs and the baby having no back door. Missus wants a back door or else lol. Thanks or the advice as this is my first place.

Been living in my house now for just over a year. Been to look at another house to rent, this house is far better than the one I'm in just now. There's lots of land with it, a secure back yard and it's out in the sticks. They also don't mind the dogs or ferrets which was always going to be a problem.

This is right in the middle of nowhere and i am frothing at the mouth with the amount of land available to walk the dogs and the potential to work them and the ferrets right on my doorstep.

Now my question is, I have 11 months left on my tenancy agreement for the current house. I have paid a deposit and wish to end it early.

What can I do in this situation? And do I just ring the landlady and explain? Maybe say I have to move because of work or what?

I'm currently in an upstairs villa with a decent garden, it's such hard work with the dogs and the baby having no back door. Missus wants a back door or else lol. Thanks or the advice as this is my first place.

Depends on the specifics of your contract but what a lot have to do is similar scenarios is find someone to take on the remainder of the term in your current house. Best just speak to your landlord see how he responds

Edited by lapin2008

I'll add my POV from a landlord, my tenent pays rent, i pay a mortgage, the letting agency take 10% of the rent plus VAT, so lets just say i dont dine at Ramseys resturant each week. Everytime they find a new tenent or i incur paperwork its costs another £100, plus just recently the boiler broke and i had to find £2,000 in 3 days to get a new one put in, not all landlords are rich.......

Check your contract and see what it says about ending the tenancy

as it should tell you in that, if it dosent then you may not have to give notice at all.

Have a read of this, it tells you what you need to know further down.

http://www.direct.go...ncies/DG_189123

Just noticed your in scotland. so read this one

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getadvice/advice_topics/renting_rights/ending_a_tenancy

Edited by chook1

I'll add my POV from a landlord, my tenent pays rent, i pay a mortgage, the letting agency take 10% of the rent plus VAT, so lets just say i dont dine at Ramseys resturant each week. Everytime they find a new tenent or i incur paperwork its costs another £100, plus just recently the boiler broke and i had to find £2,000 in 3 days to get a new one put in, not all landlords are rich.......

EXPENSIVE BOILER

EXPENSIVE BOILER

Yep, ended up at £1,850 installed, that was the cheapest of three qoutes..............

If its her only property she,ll more than likely keep your deposit as she has no option but to cover herself till she can find a new tenant.....if she has a number of properties she might play ball....

Depends how much you want this other gaff......only you know that.

Well my advice would be to explain the situation just as you have done on your first post. Who knows they might have another family looking for a place and things might run like clockwork. If the contract says that you have to pay then you have to pay......will it be worth it the long run if you get your dream house?... :thumbs:

Well my advice would be to explain the situation just as you have done on your first post. Who knows they might have another family looking for a place and things might run like clockwork. If the contract says that you have to pay then you have to pay......will it be worth it the long run if you get your dream house?... :thumbs:

I agree with Lab :thumbs:

I am also a landlady, my last tenant who was supposedly a friend, did a runner from my house. He left it in a terrible state, walls/ceilings half stripped, garden a mess. I had not charged him a deposit as he needed somewhere quick after splitting up with his lass. I even gave him his first months rent free so he could decorate. With the rent he owed, the poll tax he did not pay, replacing stolen bin, and the costs to get the house to good order, it has cost me nearly £1500. And that does not include all the work to tidy the place, dismantling dog kennel, dozens of trips to the tip etc. It has been a complete headache something i never want to do again so i am going through a letting agency, cost a load to start out with but hopefully a lot less hassle and cost!

I agree with Lab :thumbs:

I am also a landlady, my last tenant who was supposedly a friend, did a runner from my house. He left it in a terrible state, walls/ceilings half stripped, garden a mess. I had not charged him a deposit as he needed somewhere quick after splitting up with his lass. I even gave him his first months rent free so he could decorate. With the rent he owed, the poll tax he did not pay, replacing stolen bin, and the costs to get the house to good order, it has cost me nearly £1500. And that does not include all the work to tidy the place, dismantling dog kennel, dozens of trips to the tip etc. It has been a complete headache something i never want to do again so i am going through a letting agency, cost a load to start out with but hopefully a lot less hassle and cost!

Definately Von, had a few offers from neighbours offering me £75 a month less than i was asking and asking for no deposit, without exception they were laughed at.....Do it through a letting agency, its a little more expensive but they take the burden of managing it and finding tenents.............