problem with dog going into cover while lamping

As the title said ive got a problem with my dog going to cover when lamping , if he has a run and bunny makes cover he will 9 times out of 10 follow he is a young dog 16 months but its starting to get annoying especialy when i have to resort to calling him loudly and scaring every rabbit within a mile of me i hate reprimanding him for it because he has a very high prey drive and i dont want him to be put off any input would be great thanks

Edited by trinder

WHY THATS A GOOD THING 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 THE QUARRY WILL COME BACK OUT ,I LIKE A DOG 2 SMASH THE COVER ,MITE BEEN MORE INJURYS BUT CATCH RATE WILL RISE

So you would rather see dog hurt its self just to see you catch rate go up???Its not for me don't mind dog going in but not flat out too many dogs have died or the hunting career over by doing this but everyone till there own

WHY THATS A GOOD THING 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 THE QUARRY WILL COME BACK OUT ,I LIKE A DOG 2 SMASH THE COVER ,MITE BEEN MORE INJURYS BUT CATCH RATE WILL RISE

So you would rather see dog hurt its self just to see you catch rate go up???Its not for me don't mind dog going in but not flat out too many dogs have died or the hunting career over by doing this but everyone till there own

no quarry is worth the dogs life or injurys but if the dogs aware of its surrudings ,its heart in your mouth stuff but if your dogs pulls up 10 yds from cover then it hasn,t got the drive in my imo ,it can be dangerous but that just the way it is somtimes ,some dogs do it some don,t ,i think it would be hard 2 stop it doing it apart from takeing the lamp before the hedge but would that not increase the chance of injury

my main concern was injury but he does tend to slow down as he enters cover but still risky i know, think ill jus have to do some more work in training as i said he still a young dog so has alot to learn only started this summer introducing him to lamp ready for season start

my main concern was injury but he does tend to slow down as he enters cover but still risky i know, think ill jus have to do some more work in training as i said he still a young dog so has alot to learn only started this summer introducing him to lamp ready for season start

get a shock coller mate from packdog.com this will sort yore problem out

no quarry is worth the dogs life or injurys but if the dogs aware of its surrudings ,its heart in your mouth stuff but if your dogs pulls up 10 yds from cover then it hasn,t got the drive in my imo ,it can be dangerous but that just the way it is somtimes ,some dogs do it some don,t ,i think it would be hard 2 stop it doing it apart from takeing the lamp before the hedge but would that not increase the chance of injury

Am not saying that dog should stop 10yards away but if the rabbit is cover and the dog still 10 yards away l would not want the dog just crashing into a hedge for no reason(my own dogs stop have listen they hear anything then they go in) when there is nothing in sight what point smash hedge for no reason.They always going be more rabbits in the next field.

If dog it up the rabbits ass and it hits cover well the dog should be right in behind it.

Think its a lot harder with the hedges and ditches still being so thick but gets easy as the season goes on and the cover dies down a bit.

Rather a dog miss a rabbit in a hedge then smashing it and getting vet bill worth£££££££ and the season being over before it has started :thumbs:

• Like 1

get a shock coller mate from packdog.com this will sort yore problem out

How will that sort out the problem????Will you not just put the dog off going into cover day and night????

Am not saying that dog should stop 10yards away but if the rabbit is cover and the dog still 10 yards away l would not want the dog just crashing into a hedge for no reason(my own dogs stop have listen they hear anything then they go in) when there is nothing in sight what point smash hedge for no reason.They always going be more rabbits in the next field.

If dog it up the rabbits ass and it hits cover well the dog should be right in behind it.

Think its a lot harder with the hedges and ditches still being so thick but gets easy as the season goes on and the cover dies down a bit.

Rather a dog miss a rabbit in a hedge then smashing it and getting vet bill worth£££££££ and the season being over before it has started :thumbs:

1000% agree with last statement my was when the dog was on the quaryy arse

1000% agree with last statement my was when the dog was on the quaryy arse

thats a main factor if he is on its ass then he smashes into the bushes if the rabbit has a bit of a lead as i said he tends to slow down before entering some good advice fellas not too sure about shock collar im not a fan i prefer old fashion methods positive reinforcement etc but im a begginer so all advice welcome

had plenty dogs hit the cover over the years not quite sure your stats are right there mate but yes sometimes they do come back out,i always just keep lamp on and more often than not mine have caught in the cover itself,been lucky or rather my dogs have been never had a problem to date but yes have heard of the odd accident over the years,do i personaly see a dog hitting cover as a problem,no not really and fecked if id know how to stop it even if i wanted to,trick is really to know the land your hunting and what the hedgerows are holding in terms of posts and fencing for example although obviously the odd branch or stump could also give the dog some bad news,as you said yourself i do like to see a dog crashing in but would not see it as the be all and end all,if the lads dog is hunting up in cover then obviously its lamp straight off and recall needs enforcing before letting it loose again im guessing :thumbs:

Edited by watchman