starting a pack is there enough thounght going into it

the thoughts of starting a pack seems to be on a lot of peoples minds at the minute eveyrone seems to be trying to get hold of working hounds with the thoughts of running foxes to ground but is there enough thought going in to this its all to easy to get your hands on substandered shy nervous hound witch have seen little but the hunting ground they work in if your one of the many looking to start a small pack of hounds and going into it with cloudy vision here is a few thing to think about before you get your hounds

first and foremost do you really have the time to give them they need a fair bit of exercise then you have the training feeding getting them out hunting once or twice a week

do you have the perrmision to run them its all well haveing a few farms here and there but if its the case they are bound to stray on other land time is well spent going out all over the summer gaining permission

do you have the room two or three hounds can live well enough in a smallish run as long as they get plenty of exercise but would do better in a big paddock

then you have the cost of feeding worming frontlineing and so on its not cheap

if its pups your after they will need all this and more

but if your answer is yes to all this then i belive you are read to get your hounds but there are bound to be thrills and spills along the way

if the answer is no get involved with others that all ready have a small pack and try learn as much as your brain will let you for the day you can give hounds all the above

happy hunting and best of luck to everyone takeing on the task

robert

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IM A SHOOTING PACK BOY'S THERE'S NO F-CKING HORSES WITH ME ,I STARTED AT THE BOTTOM AND I STILL CLASS MYSELF AT THE BOTTOM ,WHAT YOU BOY'S GOT TO REALISE IS MORE THAN TWO HOUNDS IS CLASSED AS A PACK,O

the thoughts of starting a pack seems to be on a lot of peoples minds at the minute eveyrone seems to be trying to get hold of working hounds with the thoughts of running foxes to ground but is there

plus all the hours & diesel driving round looking for missing hounds

Posted Images

lol...... i take it you have a pack???? or is it you who is quetioing himself??? plenty a land here buddy.... i will agree unless you get a trial or see the houind working chances are your getting a mistake.... if you have hounds robert i would not mind seeing them hunt atb stopend

don't forget insurances public liable£450,transport,vet bills,there's a carriers licence required for picking up food in your van £154,a licence required to collect food cat-2 cat-3 waste food, cess pit emptied three times a year £150 each time,its not cheap,

don't forget insurances public liable£450,transport,vet bills,there's a carriers licence required for picking up food in your van £154,a licence required to collect food cat-2 cat-3 waste food, cess pit emptied three times a year £150 each time,its not cheap,

think hes getting two beagles mate hes no room for a horse

plus all the hours & diesel driving round looking for missing hounds :laugh::tongue2:

• Like 1

easy on old nog was only looking 2-3 honds not 30-40 lol .....we have small bogs to you know we dont use horses here lol

if your having a small pack for others to follow and enjoy, you might want to take a cap, to help you out with the upkeep, does,nt have to be extortionate amount, i can remember going with the mole valley teagles and the members helped out, then again you have a trencher pack and they all come together for a days hunting.

IM A SHOOTING PACK BOY'S THERE'S NO F-CKING HORSES WITH ME ,I STARTED AT THE BOTTOM AND I STILL CLASS MYSELF AT THE BOTTOM ,WHAT YOU BOY'S GOT TO REALISE IS MORE THAN TWO HOUNDS IS CLASSED AS A PACK,ONCE THOSE HOUNDS CROSS A ROAD(DRAG HUNTING)AND CAUSE A CRASH YOU ARE LIABLE,CATTLE AND HORSES RUNNING THROUGH FENCES YOU ARE LIABLE,IT HAPPENS,TO MANY PEOPLE STARTING UP THESE DAYS THAT DON'T KNOW THIS ,IN THIS DAY AND AGE ITS ALL ABOUT CLAIMING,I PAY SO MUCH FOR MY INSURANCE WHICH IS £450,THAT COVERS ME FOR 5 MILLION PUBLIC LIABLILITY,(IF I GOT TO PAY IT YOU ALSO SHOULD BE PAYING THE SAME) ITS A CHANCE YOU TAKE,I CAN'T REMEMBER WAS THAT 5 BULLETS OR 6 BULLETS,IS IT YOUR LUCKY DAY PUNK.

• Like 4

have to agree with old dog here, we have our own insurance which covers us to 10 million euro public liabiltiy an personal accdent cover too. we run a trencher feed beaglex pack. we get great fun an good hunting, i also hunt with a harrier pack an you must be prepared to stay out an look for lost hounds. if you want to go home when you want too get a springer, y.i.s, sionnach

• Like 1

have insurance countryside alliance..... covers up to 7 million STERLING :thumbs: .... public insurance up to 750,000..... and only 2 hounds and 2 russells.... is only [bANNED TEXT] when we get permission to insure the men whos land that give us the sport that nothing happens....yis stopend

• 1 month later...

i hunt my own pack of 5 beagles and only hunt small cover most farmers down my way are sound so theres no bother there you realy would to be takeing beagles out twice a week as for feeding they dont stop eating mine gets 1 big feed every second day no good feeding every day i think and no matter what you do these dogs always smell bad i clean mine out twice a day atb buster100

No way to many nobbers thinking they can pick a few hounds up go out and hunt fox and its as simple as that,they have no idea about hounds and come unstuck very quick,seems alot of young lads think they can get a couple of hounds go out and run fox to ground every day :laugh: :laugh: hopefully its a passing fad and they will learn there not as easy as they think :thumbs:

• Like 1