dispatching bunnies

Chopping doesn't necessarily mean a clean quick kill: I've seen no end of people chopping away at a swinging, bucking rabbit before they manage to kill it: looks amateurish and messy.. Chinning or necking every time: if even a weak woman :tongue2: can neck a rabbit quickly and cleanly, then anyone can! It's just getting the technique right that matters: there's good photos of how to despatch a rabbit in Simon Whitehead's ferreting book.

your right there, its surprising how many people make a big deal out of dispatching a rabbit by trying to chop it around the neck, takes some 2 or 3 chops for them to be sure its dead,i dont favour this method. :tongue2:

cheers,

jay. :thumbs:

if its done correctly it only takes one chop but i know what you mean cause iv seen it done the wrong way and people chopping 2 or 3 times to kill the rabbit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never liked the chop, seen too many 'bouncing' bunnys, missed shots and swolen hands! Never for rabbits in numbers. Chinning all the way..

i dispatch mine by taikng them out of the net holding the back legs and giving them a chop behind the neck this works for me.

Stretch the neck everytime., don't like to see chopping.

For ferreting best to chin the rabbit in the net then put the rabbit in the net to one side giving you time to get another net on quick it is then easier to remove the dead rabbit from the net .When lamping i will chin them or use the pull down necking method .

All these folk saying the chop looks ametuer ish, or bruises the meat etc, or a "no no" (according to a DVD?!?!?!), obviously have never seen some one use the methos properly (of course they will say they will). It should take one, not particularly hard, but hard enought but decisive, little chop, not a fecking great karate chop, and the rabbit is instantly dead, and your meant to be hitting the base of the skull / very top of the spine, not hammering it's back and shoulders.

Seriously guys, is it possible to do the chop, when they are in the net, I don't chop but I would have thought it was pretty damm hard when curled up in a purse net or tangled up in a long net? The only reason I am asking is the original question from the lad, said "once in the net" or something similar.

Not sure about chinning or chopping but I don't really want to have a rabbit kicking, scratching, or chomping me. It's fair to say that I don't do a whole lot of netting these days but this is my method and has been for many years. It's fast, 100% effective, very little risk and above all very little can go wrong and it's quiet.

Grasp the rabbit by it's back legs in your right hand (if you are right handed, left if you are left handed). Rabbit, in hand and at ground level, put your left foot on the rabbits head, neck going under the arch of your foot if you see what I mean (obviously right foot if you are left handed). Pull the back legs up, whilst pressing down with your foot. The neck breaks clean and fast.

John

'Ideation' timestamp='1315697272' post='2235051']

All these folk saying the chop looks ametuer ish, or bruises the meat etc, or a "no no" (according to a DVD?!?!?!), obviously have never seen some one use the methos properly (of course they will say they will). It should take one, not particularly hard, but hard enought but decisive, little chop, not a fecking great karate chop, and the rabbit is instantly dead, and your meant to be hitting the base of the skull / very top of the spine, not hammering it's back and shoulders.

Fine if your getting the odd one or two but if your getting a bagful and your no Jackie Chan i reckon your hand would be smarting at the end of the day

I see these posts regularly and dont usually comment, i chin them and thats that!

however went out with my cousin and uncle couple of weeks back, my uncle showed me a method I havnt seen before(due to my cousin not being able to break the rabbits neck) he held the rabbit by its back legs in his right hand, stuck his right boot ankle out abit, swung it and hit its head on his boot heel, worked a treat but not for me thanks! anyone else use/seen this method?