A dog is for life not....or am I old fashioned??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All my dogs are with me, or my family, for life, whether they make the grade or not.

The thing with this is alot of people are always trying to impress others more than just enjoying their dogs and sport by themselves so they set these silly standards on how there dogs should be far t

In my expierience those who turn over many dogs throughout the year are not dogmen... they are 'collectors'... More driven by whats in a dog rather than what it does or can do. Yes, they'll get out a

some just dont make the grade simple as that,or maybe thats just me

edited to add,iv never got rid of an adult dog on a whim,i can quite do without trying to make a few quid trying to dupe some fool out of his money on a WRONG UN ,as WILF said............. you see it through to whatever end it may find

Edited by watchman

keep the dog just don't breed from him/her if its not proving itself to be a 'great' dog in the field, however if, like me, there is not enough room to keep a dog that won't work to your standards, maybe it could make a good pet for someone with no intentions of working it. . . good topic, would like to see others opinions on this

• Like 1

Hi mate,

as mentioned previously, some just dont make the grade.

If the dog was intended as a worker then i'm afraid if it turns out a 'pot licker' then you will be doing the dog no favours holding on to it. This would only lead to frustration when the dog fails at it's tasks.

Sometimes unfortunately you have to cut your losses and get rid.

pernod

'A dog is for life' is a slogan to advertise a rescue centre.

Does that line apply to us, in my opinion, yes, because although I see no reason for keeping any dog that, with every effort, does not make the grade, it should be on everyones concience to ensure that dog is found the right exit from you, whatever that would be. I certainly wouldn't like to think that any dog that has left my keeping would be living the rest of its life in abject misery, there are far better options than that.

• Like 1

A dog is indeed for life, the dogs life that is............I totally agree with Bosun, if you take an animal on then you see it through to whatever end it may find.

That's the way I look at it. :yes: My current dogs live with me in the house, so they're with me until the end, be it natural or otherwise. They're as much family pets as workers, but I've got plans for a run and kennels because as it stands I'm stuck with a distinctly average lurcher for life. Any other dogs I get in the future purely for work will not get passed on either if I'm not happy with them. I'm sorry, but I don't believe in rehoming an adult dog. :no: The only exception I'd make was if the dog was going to someone close who had known the dog as long as myself.

Sometimes it is not just about making the grade.

I re-homed a pup a few years ago, kept it from 6wk till 6mth and that pup hated me. Broke my heart but he went to a fantastic home, a home he was adored and worked properly, and he is doing very well indeed :yes:

I have a dog here now, if he could not work for whatever reason i honestly do not think he could be kept as a pet, i would try first, but if it were too much 'for the dog' i would have to have him PTS, better to have lived a short but full and active life than a life of frustration and stress. I have to think of the dog before myself and my feelings of guilt & loss.

I have kept and still do keep my oldies, those were dogs that had a happy and full life but just became too old or knackered, these dogs know they are and are just as happy staying in a warm house as they would have been out lamping, but not all dogs are like that.

well i think if the dog were bred+bought as pet, and good temps they should stay to make old bones.But lurchers+terriers,gundogs, were bred to be working dogs 1st . pet. 2nd . If the dog not doing the job you want it to do, you not going to keep it in that roll are you, so let it go as a pet. Ive only kept one worker as pet, had 4 1/2 years out of her then she got hurt, kept her for 13 years she was great catch dog pre ban took the lot , she was lurcher to lurcher bred. My other dogs never made old bones ,most got hurt+killed out working. Bryn 4 now and good dog, had few bangs+bumps , he is tough type of dog, might be lucky aswell not got to hurt, even got over when the horse kicked him in the edge :huh: .! Tod reckless dont think he will make old bones, but you never know .!

The thing with this is alot of people are always trying to impress others more than just enjoying their dogs and sport by themselves so they set these silly standards on how there dogs should be far to high and alot of decent dogs are the unfortunate victims rhrough no fault of there own. Every dog has its faults thats plain and simple its just a shame to many knumbskulls are in the game now to realise this!! I think the biggest victim in all this is the bull cross as they attract more idiots than any other which is a shame as they are without doubt the best cross in all there various crosses, get the right cross that suits your needs and you wont just have a dog for its life you will have a dog that you will never forget in yours!

• Like 2

wouldnt get rid of my dogs for any reason now. IMO you should be prepared that if the dog doesnt make the grade then to keep it and make room in your kennels for another dog that does. the absolute minimum should be you busting your bollocks to find a decent home for the dog.

i just cant see how people have a dog for months upon months and put all their efforts into it and when it doesnt make the grade just passes it on a few hours later. surely they could still get some enjoyment out of the dog in the family environment? im prepared that if my pup doesnt make the grade then she will be a pet and when ive got more room i will start again with a new pup.

Edited by Veedublee
  • Like 1

l know what people are saying about if dog is no good then they need too get rid off it most off us would in this game but who fault is it the owner or the dog????.

What happens if dog is a good one and works for you until 7,8 then you need something young then what do you do if you have only thy the room for one dog????

l know what people are saying about if dog is no good then they need too get rid off it most off us would in this game but who fault is it the owner or the dog????.

What happens if dog is a good one and works for you until 7,8 then you need something young then what do you do if you have only thy the room for one dog????

An old dog dont take up much room mate where theres a will theres a way

• Like 1