old english sheepdog

is any one breeding workers of these ie not big balls of fluff? They might have made a goog cross to a greyhound in years gone by. We had one when I was a kid(an old english not a cross) and he didnt have the crazy mad hair that they have now, was a big solid dog, but seemed to like a scrap a big too much, my old man got rid of him as I think he got too much for us kids, but I have fond memories of him all the same!

cheers

John

yeah the one we had was big(although it might have been cos I was small) anyways he was very dog aggressive, well I guess thats my question on OES answered :)

dont be to sure on here mate,someone soon to put me right im sure but like i say this is the impression i got from the thread i started on them :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

Now i might be way off base here but i seem to recall a programme about OES saying they have a very unusual gait, they roll from side to side when they run because they use both legs on the same side together rather than opposite legs or as running dogs (2 front then 2 back giving reach & speed).

If this is true i wouldn't want to alter the movement of a running dog by making it different in the wrong way if you see what i mean :huh:

I owned a Saluki/Grey x Old English,if i remember correctly it was bred out of Warwickshire,about 1984?.The dog did have an unusual gait,but was deadly on hares and fox.Stood 29" and always looked underfed.The dog would not break to sheep no matter the punishment,that was his downfall.

I owned a Saluki/Grey x Old English,if i remember correctly it was bred out of Warwickshire,about 1984?.The dog did have an unusual gait,but was deadly on hares and fox.Stood 29" and always looked underfed.The dog would not break to sheep no matter the punishment,that was his downfall.

downfall indeed considering its name :laugh:

my parents have had the oes all my life and seen them change alot in 32 years the 1st was a wee dog with a shorter coat the next was bigger and a bit mental was a bit dog aggressive and the 1 they have now is huge always looks starvin and is thick as mince with so much hair it runs into the house wall, all were slow with the gait meantioned, ive had lurchers for 15 years and my 1st had beardie in it and is a much better option i think. the coat of any oes x would be murder to keep debri free whilst out huntingand the buggers bark alot.