How Small is Too Small?

Hi mate, the smallest bitch is 10lb and the other is 12lb. When I first started hunting in the early seventies, the Terrierman for our local Hunt had a strain of 10" JRT's that could bottle up a fox in no time at all, and go the distance. I do believe some of his stock came from the late BG.

bg had a good type of small russell that worked anything from what i can remember allen dodds came from barry dainty -- who was i think with the meynal in the 70s ... smart type aswell .. eddie chapman had tidy small russells look at his dog sinbad .. if it was`nt a problem in the 70s why should it be a problem now quarry aint got any bigger.. Edited by the_stig

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you were to have a fight with someone with the lights off ...it wouldnt take you long to figure out how big he was

the physical size of the animal. if there rock hard and dont have the body mass they dont last long. depends on the quarry being worked to.

That little black dog i had was 8year old when he was robbed,as i said he never sounded and accounted for a lot of quarry,couple of here seen the dog work,both sides of the pool and any stuff that was

Posted Images

Thanks for the positive feedback lads, nice to see some genuine remarks instead of a lot of crap that is on here sometimes. It is nice to know that the older generation are using this Site and contributing in a positive way. Obviously the older generation have a lot to contribute to this site, and should be respected and listened to. YIS, WW.

the size wont really matter mate it's all down to the heart in the dog i've seen small dogs put some big dogs to shame .hope they do work out for yeah i find a small dog with a bit a fire in it can better than a big dog they get through tide tubes a lot easier

Some of the best terriers ive ever had were small and hard as iron.They could do a job where bigger dogs had failed then thieving scum wiped the whole lot out in a night.I remember 1 particular little lakey bitch i had,she was only a handfull but was a demon to ground,also a black dog todd that was gave to me by D Edwards from england,he was a great little worker,and hard with it,but you could put him in your pocket,lol.

Some of the best terriers ive ever had were small and hard as iron.They could do a job where bigger dogs had failed then thieving scum wiped the whole lot out in a night.I remember 1 particular little lakey bitch i had,she was only a handfull but was a demon to ground,also a black dog todd that was gave to me by D Edwards from england,he was a great little worker,and hard with it,but you could put him in your pocket,lol.

how small were they and what did they weigh mate..

my little bitch is only 7kg at 15 months old it was the 1st time I use her on sunday,45mins to ground = 1 dog fox and not a sound out of her

I was worried about her size and Im not frightened to say,I was a bit apprehensive/panicky but not any more :boogy:

good luck with them :thumbs:

I would think it would have a lot to do with the style of worker the dogs are.. I would think a super hard dog that size could be in serious trouble. However a smart worker that size would be NICE for around here.

could u explain that a little bit better for me i know wat ur trying to say but i dont see how he is in any more trouble than any other dog

Both were about 10inch and weight was about 10 maybe 11lb,the little black dog was mute and we never had to open a 2nd hole with him,always on top of his game.

I would think it would have a lot to do with the style of worker the dogs are.. I would think a super hard dog that size could be in serious trouble. However a smart worker that size would be NICE for around here.

could u explain that a little bit better for me i know wat ur trying to say but i dont see how he is in any more trouble than any other dog

the physical size of the animal. if there rock hard and dont have the body mass they dont last long. depends on the quarry being worked to.

• Like 1

That little black dog i had was 8year old when he was robbed,as i said he never sounded and accounted for a lot of quarry,couple of here seen the dog work,both sides of the pool and any stuff that was bred of him worked the same.I know what your saying in size does matter,but some dogs {small dogs} will do the job as good as a big one without geting pushed about.

• Like 1

Both were about 10inch and weight was about 10 maybe 11lb,the little black dog was mute and we never had to open a 2nd hole with him,always on top of his game.

up here no offence fatman in the right earth with the right quarry i cant see something that weight not getting shifted around the earth im not saying ur lieing mate but educated quarry can shift the biggest dogs so personaly i find it hard to belive he was open to in one hole all his carrer

Edited by stevie g 2005

up here no offence fatman in the right earth with the right quarry i cant see something that weight not getting shifted around the earth im not saying ur lieing mate but educated quarry can shift the biggest dogs

I know what your saying and no offence taken.Todd was an exceptional little dog,and i dug a lot of educated quarry with him and his offspring were just as hard.When i was robbed a friend of mine had a little red bitch,daughter to todd.He phoned me when he heard and offered me the bitch as he said she was way too hard for him.She was 15months old when i got her and to say she was hard was an understatement,she was mental on all quarry.She took a very bad doin when she was about 6year old and i had to bring her to the vets.The vet i took her to said he had to keep her over night and would i phone the next day.I phoned the next morn and was told she had been put to sleep due to kidney failure which i did not believe but that was the very last of that breeding.There is a couple of lads on here that dug both her and her sire and will varify im not talking bollox.SOPHIE WAS THE BITCH TODD THE DOG.