what is an acceptable slip(pre ban of course)

having been the secretary of the alc i have been lucky enough to see some of the best dogs in the country and meet some true sportsman, most of who like me always gave fair law to the hare so to make a true and fair test. sadly some of the dvd film i have seen made me sick and also sad, dogs being slipped on hares under foot sometimes with more than one dog giving chase and in summer. when i did the cla gamefair one chap came up to me telling me joyfully how is dog had taken 5 out of 5 the other day and it was the best dog he had ever seen, i pointed out that it was the middle of july and out of season and that it wasnt sporting or right, his responce was "july or january it wont matter the hares were no different", so i took his number and arranged to take him out in december. To cut a long story short he came out with me and was made to give fair law his dog ran five hares and only put a bend in one of them. he turned to me at the end of the day and said " i didnt realise, i think ive been running with the wrong people". so the topic is how much law would you have given the hare. me always over 80yrds. how about you its the only way to judge how good your dogs are. oh and im not on about pest control.

yours in sport.

Pre ban never owned a dog specifically bred for hares, for a coursing dog i'd say at least 60/70 yards.............BUT if you are a moocher or coursing for your own pleasure or for the pot i think law is a subjective issue, when i ran the odd one the closer the better as mine weren't speed or stamina merchants.........

in ireland if every hare got 80 yds yea would hardly get a decent race as they would be gone trough a hedge or a gate or some thing but even in small fields i think they should be given 30 or 40yds when the slipper is not taken by suprise.Hope yea get many replys to this question but i douth it

At least 80yrds is nice, but when out on a days coursing on small land this has to vary as the hare is at the hedge before you know it especially when the hare jumps when the line has walked 3/4 of the field. ;) It's a differnt story when out on big land and then law should be given ;)

When out for the pot or mooching 'fair law' does not come into it as its about catching and not coursing ;)

Shame it's all history now, I used to enjoy proper coursing in good company :thumbs:

when out with the club as moonlighter said always 80 to 100 yds and woe betide anyone who got trigger happy and short slipped .did it once myself never again . but it depends entirely where you are running most of the country slipping that long and the hare would be gone and out of sight so it depends on lots of things .

Edited by boyo

Most of the land i walked,the dogs hunted up at liberty,so there was little control over the distances,if out coursing slips of 60-70 yds where the norm,young dogs 20-30 yds for the first few runs.If a blank day then a dirty slip or 2,to put something in the pot.

• Like 1

If you are out COURSING, for sport and to watch the dog run; then the hare should be given fair law. But if you are out HUNTING, for the pot, and you're up on a bit of high ground watching your dog quartering a feild and it lifts a hare, then it's only doing it's job, and law doesn't come into it.

Cheers.

• Like 1

What bull shit 80 yards 100 yards may be in the big open land off England but in small tight fields with gates,ditches,hedges,etc etc you give the hare that far you be lucky the dog gets on to it.

Have yet to see a hare getting up and a man letting it get so far before they slip.Maybe in competitions where there is rules but most off yous are just keeping yourselves going.