Pre season road work

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took mine on a 10 miles cycle yesterday with 15 minutes of swimming in the river at the end....when we got back I could barely even walk up the stairs and that sod was throwing a ball around the liv

I think we need to remember that ones persons walk is not the same as another's. For some people is may be a 20 minute walk to the local park through streets, dog on a lead. Free running at park then

Does nobody work on here r is it all bullshit 2 hours in the morning 4 to 5 hours on a night if u walked a dog that much it would be f*#@ed not fit stop all trying to out do each other n tell the trut

Yes Weasel the whole shebang!..... I'd better say "No don't be silly Weasel of course not!" :laugh:

I'm glad Moll has mentioned "Day off" rest is also just as important to the dog, however I tend to do this when the season kicks off.

So talking of season, I wonder how many people change there regime when it's in full flow?

Guest dances

Yes Weasel the whole shebang!..... I'd better say "No don't be silly Weasel of course not!" :laugh:

I'm glad Moll has mentioned "Day off" rest is also just as important to the dog, however I tend to do this when the season kicks off.

So talking of season, I wonder how many people change there regime when it's in full flow?

i do, if im lamping them tonight i wont walk them but will give them a shorter walk the day after.

I think we need to remember that ones persons walk is not the same as another's.

For some people is may be a 20 minute walk to the local park through streets, dog on a lead. Free running at park then walk back home on lead. For others it may be out in open fields, through woodlands, dog never on the lead hunting up and chasing. Both walks may take the same length of time but have totally different levels of exercise.

One dog walked on its own will exercise less than dogs with other dogs playing chase etc etc etc.

• Like 2

I think we need to remember that ones persons walk is not the same as another's.

For some people is may be a 20 minute walk to the local park through streets, dog on a lead. Free running at park then walk back home on lead. For others it may be out in open fields, through woodlands, dog never on the lead hunting up and chasing. Both walks may take the same length of time but have totally different levels of exercise.

One dog walked on its own will exercise less than dogs with other dogs playing chase etc etc etc.

All true,and i wasnt trying to knock any one.if you want to spend your time walking your dog, its your dog its your time. :thumbs: Just dont try and tell me thats what you need to do to get it fit.

ours get 3 to 6 miles nightly road work on the lead and varying amounts of free running with the rest of my pack (2 terriers, a cocker and a lab) so they run and play toy fight etc doing trebble the distance we do. i have access to a farm which is right on the beach so im lucky, but to get them match fit i think good diet is important and when the season starts out as often as possible.

All i do is change there diet slightly,

And up the work rate, Trot them beside the car for a bout 5mile at diffrent paces short hard runs then slower pace ect about 2/3 a week, And a quick mooch over the feilds having a few runs ect where i live my dogs never need to be on a lead so are always free running no matter what iam doing, And sunday too us is nothing but a big mooch start out midday and back in when its dark... But only way too get them sharp is to get them behind a few

So of the times some of yous are out is strange, You either dont work have kids or are single cause all this 2 hours in the morning then 3/4 at night well it just dont work out with normal live styles....

All i do is change there diet slightly,

And up the work rate, Trot them beside the car for a bout 5mile at diffrent paces short hard runs then slower pace ect about 2/3 a week, And a quick mooch over the feilds having a few runs ect where i live my dogs never need to be on a lead so are always free running no matter what iam doing, And sunday too us is nothing but a big mooch start out midday and back in when its dark... But only way too get them sharp is to get them behind a few

So of the times some of yous are out is strange, You either dont work have kids or are single cause all this 2 hours in the morning then 3/4 at night well it just dont work out with normal live styles....

Who actually said they do 2 hours in the morning and 3 or 4 at night?????

Guest lurchermania96

All this talk bout muscles they dont catch you rabbits!

What's the hell do you think they use to run? what a bizarre thing to say!

It isnt really, my dogs are well muscled now,but in a months time when the only excersise they get is running and working,the muscle will not be any were near as defined.So are they fitter now than when there lamping 4 5 nights a week.

If i was going to run a marthon i wouldnt go weight training.Think big muscles are cool becouse of the bull cross.

Any one walking there dogs for 2 hours a day are wasting there time,becouse the dog dosnt need it.

so strengthening muscles isn't an important part of fitness? :blink:

Not on about big muscles, on about strengthened, conditioned muscles....saying that's not an important part of fitness/hunting is bizarre in my opinion!

But if a dog is fit it will have strong muscles.All this my dog dos 8mile my dog dos 10 is a load of internet drible.

why exactly? if you take a dog out running alongside a bike you can cover 8 or 10 miles in an hour.......basically you take your dog on a walk for a couple of miles and because other people do something different it must be "internet drible"

I AGREE WITH YOU THERE MATE

the missus walks mine in the morning for atleast an hour just on the leader. i leave at 6am for work she dosent start till 8.30 but gets up with me on a morning.

then i get home usually around 1.30/2pm and i go out with mine till my missus finishes work at different times threw the week. sometimes im out for 1.5hrs with as much running after the ball as i can get them to do to swimming in the pond. thursdays she works late till 8pm so i might just walk them till she finishes maybe 4 or 5 hours just walking from place to place letting them chase bunnys if there is any or free run and with the ball again.

i have nothing else to do, well i should say nothing else i want to do on an afternoon so its all i do.

sometimes if its a nice night when she finishes work we go out again for and hour or 2 just for something to do.

i have my son on a weekend so i manage lamping on a friday night and my lass has him on a sunday as im out all day with the rifle and dog on a sunday.,

its not bull shit its just what i do. if anyone wants to come and check its fine by me, ide like the company!.

• Like 1