Lamping tips and help for a first starter

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of you experianced guys could help me on lamping, I have currently have a 3/4 1/4 greyhound bull, and would like to start using her down the lamp.

i have had a little go with her but [bANNED TEXT] the lamps on somthing she will not go towards the lamp and just does her own thing(running about picking up scents etc) so i was hoping maybe some of you people will be able to help me on how to train my dog run down the lamp.

hope i get some positve feedback and help

cheers

Try go with somebody who has a working dog let it watch and then try a few easy ones , go careful what you post on this site aswell as they is some no good keyboard warriors who talk a good nights rabbiting , atb with it mate, its got the right ingredients , and I pressume it come from working tackle

The bitch is 8 month old mate, is that to young to start training her like? cheers for the advice, the lead that i have for her at the moment is just a rope round her neck 'one from the pet shop of course ha' is it worth getting her a lead with a collar and a quick release lead??

the training with another working dog could be a problem as i only go out with my mate 'who doesnt have a dog' and its abit difficult to get through to the lads i know with working dogs, so basically its starting from scrath, i was gonna try using a dummy and putting it a few metres in front of me then get the lamp on it and send her away do you think this is my best option for teaching her?

and cheers for that ill wat out for the ppl who talk a gd job haha

right get a dog collar any sort will do put it on get your self a bit of thin rope thread it through the collar and hold the two ends together when she sees the rabbit let one end go when she runs off it will unthread and you will be left holding the rope i would leave the dog for lamping untill she is about tweleve monthes though then you will see a big diffrence she will be more keen faster and sharper and her bones and joints will be almost finished developing by then.

but its up to you pal dont need a nother dog to show her its instinct mine learnt them selves so yours will .

good luck

Don,t agree with starting a young dog beside another older experienced dog, imo it only encourages and increases the chances of bad habits developing, opening up with over excitement and frustration having to watch another dog chase a bunny about the field, reluctance to retrieve etc etc

and also can,t quite see how a young pup watching an older dog equates to the pup learning to look down the beam

best going on yer own and then you,ve only yourself to blame if it go,s tits up but if you,re successful its great,

as some folk have said, easy squaters, dug on a slip, the dug will soon get the idea,atb :thumbs:

Guest born to run1083

I took my pup from 6 months old watching, not to learn the lamp as such but to achieve other goals like fences in the dark, retrieving a dummy chucked down the beam , retrieving a dummy over fences, and so on to give her the best preparation for her first season so now all the above is perfect and now I can just can concentrate on putting quarry infront of them, all the above mate you can do now , and then when season starts and the pups mature enough give it a few easy ones on the lamp, don't get trigger or slip happy, take your time and pick that one rabbit each time that has the dogs name on it so to speak lol start with a few runs and as the season progresses increase the amount of runs, as the dogs fitness and skills improve

Don,t agree with starting a young dog beside another older experienced dog, imo it only encourages and increases the chances of bad habits developing, opening up with over excitement and frustration having to watch another dog chase a bunny about the field, reluctance to retrieve etc etc

and also can,t quite see how a young pup watching an older dog equates to the pup learning to look down the beam

best going on yer own and then you,ve only yourself to blame if it go,s tits up but if you,re successful its great,

as some folk have said, easy squaters, dug on a slip, the dug will soon get the idea,atb :thumbs:

im with kittlerox on this one, too much excitement for a young dog who you really want to be calm and focused ,

there's a lot of threads bout lamping and how to get young dogs to this and that,,and the answers in most cases are ,the dog needs to go out and experience it and learn himself ,he will learn how to catch and he will learn how to use the lamp to his advantage, given plenty of work,,

with a bit of common sense thrown in on your behalf,,

Had an old bitch before, who could make a mental map of the spot in the field where i had spotted a bunny and knocked the lamp off ,she knew by my actions ,she could make her way towards that spot where bunny was lying in darkness, so id give her a few seconds to get up there before knocking the lamp on, worked great on bigger quarry who were a bit lamp shy,

the point im making is, the dog had learned through experience much more than i could ever teach her ,on her own,,

Byt the sounds of it you would be better training your pup better recall and retrieving as running the beam will come in time ....another good tip is to teach your dog is when you switch the lamp off the dog will come to you

right get a dog collar any sort will do put it on get your self a bit of thin rope thread it through the collar and hold the two ends together when she sees the rabbit let one end go when she runs off it will unthread and you will be left holding the rope i would leave the dog for lamping untill she is about tweleve monthes though then you will see a big diffrence she will be more keen faster and sharper and her bones and joints will be almost finished developing by then.

but its up to you pal dont need a nother dog to show her its instinct mine learnt them selves so yours will .

good luck

Well said, I always trained my Dogs on the lamp solo, its not rocket science, as been said put the dog on a slip, find some squatters or easy rabbits, wait till the dog sees them and slip the leash, after a few times out the penny will drop, and the dog should run the beam,slowly slowly catch the Monkey, you will get posts saying my dogs been lamping since six months, young dogs need time to muscle up, patience is a virtue.

I would leave the rabbits for now and concentrate on getting her to return immediately, theres nothing worse than a dog that hunts up and puts every rabbit for miles around down. If her recalls ok in the day then take her out at night where there are no scents to bother her and shine the lamp on your feet and recall her. Do this till she comes back just to the lamp every time and not your voice, then you can take her lamping.