SALUKI

Cracking looking Saluki, what are the Parents?

I think the burying is just one of those Saluki trait's they can very primative and instinct often takes over, my Saluki dog is fairly 'normal' but the bitch is like another species.

I've seen photo's of multiple salukis sleeping piled on top of wardrobes and bookcases etc. :icon_eek:

maybe ill post some on, the sonora is in new mexco and old mexico border we hunted for two weeks on jacks coyotes and whatever , saw a few good saluks and a tazi cross we had caught a hare with the cunnninham hound,a type of cold blooded greyhpound that can do the four minuteon a strong jackrabbit and a tazi cross i turned the binocs round then theres aguy with a few saluks on another chase i run to an advantage piont and watch the whole course they caught it well maybe twenty turns but they got him before they hit the cat claw and mesquite bushes, then we caught another jack rabbit great sport not an anti hunter in sight only a few old mexicans tillling the land and a rancher cheching his stock all the best

Guest Ditch_Shitter
i went up my permission today with my son's saluki

:hmm: Could That be a clue?

Just whose Dog is this, really? Your lads? Or one ye 'bought for him' only in title? Who keeps the Dog, day to day?

Belting dog marco might be summat in what ditchy says. Only dog ive ever owned that picked another owner was a pure saluki took a shine to me old man even though he never took him running first chance he had he would high tail it to me dads house where he ended up staying in the end used to howl at the full moon too sat on top of the kitchen table not a normal howl either more like a low moan first time it did it i wondered what the hell it was

maybe ill post some on, the sonora is in new mexco and old mexico border we hunted for two weeks on jacks coyotes and whatever , saw a few good saluks and a tazi cross we had caught a hare with the cunnninham hound,a type of cold blooded greyhpound that can do the four minuteon a strong jackrabbit and a tazi cross i turned the binocs round then theres aguy with a few saluks on another chase i run to an advantage piont and watch the whole course they caught it well maybe twenty turns but they got him before they hit the cat claw and mesquite bushes, then we caught another jack rabbit great sport not an anti hunter in sight only a few old mexicans tillling the land and a rancher cheching his stock all the best

that would be great to see some pics whin,thats a life time ambition of mine to go some where like that and see there native saluki's and actually work along side them. ;)

ditch,it's my sons dog who is really involved in the working/feeding /training of him when he can but due to school commitments i take over during the day,i take him out with my two other dogs morning and evening, i would say that i have a good bond with him and he's very obedient when my son's not present,the saluki's general obedience is good just apart from putting it's catch in my hand it put's it in a hole :hmm: it sounds possible to get him out of this going off what some lads have said so i'll keep at him through the summer months,cheers marco.

My dog Ben a saluki/grey X bull/grey used to bury the rabbit's it had shook to death quite often when it was younger.. and i could only find them if i went to the spot with the other dog.. :blink: ..

I used to think it was funny how quick a big dog could dig a hole and fill it in about 20 second's :D .. he has since grew out of this habbit now and im sure your's will when it has a few more kill's under it's collar .. :good: ..

Millet

you could be right millet,i don't think that he would be bothered to dig a hole when it's took him 3-4 mins to retrieve a big bunny,it's not a major problem but just unusual ;)

Aint got any fox in 'im has he?they bury what they catch quite often!..............only joking,but still it is a bit weird,but,I'm sure you will get the upper hand over the summer months.Does he bury stuff he is asked to retreive if it was just a dummy,or is it only real game(rabbits)? :blink:

many primitive dog type bury there catch to me it all goes down to early training , ill ask afew old saluki men who ran them for years maybe theyll high light, it ,i dunno any way dont bother about it if a,keeper comes heel hide his catch like a real ole poachers dog and take you back when the coast is clear i wish ahah

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Marco; I reckon it's down to pack status, mate.

This Dog's imprinted on ye son as his pack leader. Every canine knows it's his job to work with the team, but to defer to the boss. That's exactly why our Dogs do bring us what they catch. Now, in this ones eyes, you're a fellow pack member. He figures you two have gone out and hunted as a pack alright. But since he happened to be the one making the actual catch he feels it's his reponsibility to hand that catch over to the leader.

He see's you as trying to make him break the rules, by claiming what's not rightfully yours. That'd get him in trouble with the boss. So he's hiding it away from you till such time as the real boss gets there and can take control in deciding what to do with it.

Simple enough test for all that. Bring ye son along and see if the Dog will skirt round you to bring the bunny to the lad :good:

This Dog's imprinted on ye son as his pack leader. Every canine knows it's his job to work with the team, but to defer to the boss. That's exactly why our Dogs do bring us what they catch. Now, in this ones eyes, you're a fellow pack member. He figures you two have gone out and hunted as a pack alright. But since he happened to be the one making the actual catch he feels it's his reponsibility to hand that catch over to the leader.

He see's you as trying to make him break the rules, by claiming what's not rightfully yours. That'd get him in trouble with the boss. So he's hiding it away from you till such time as the real boss gets there and can take control in deciding what to do with it.

Simple enough test for all that. Bring ye son along and see if the Dog will skirt round you to bring the bunny to the lad :good:

well said

ditch that makes sense,i'm takeing my son out with us tomorrow,we're going to be flushing some big ears to the gun using the saluki so we'll see if your theory is right,there will be another dog present but it will be on slip and should be a good distance apart so if he does retrieve any it would be interesting to see what he does with the quarry.

i'll let you know what happens :D

all is i can say is good luck tommrow marco might have a mooch on some big ears myself... :D;)

well no retrievels today,ground was rock hard,walked some other land but not really suitable for a good retrieve :victory:

ditch the saluki wanted to be with me most of the time so it seems i could be the new pack leader,it was a

shame not to see any retrieves to see what he would do with the catch,we'll see next time hopefully :good:

pics of my son with the saluki.

Edited by marco

had the very same problem with a weaton cross .

did every thing right with the dog .

sit stay retrieve out of water.

at twelve months started him hunting

and was catching well but burying rabbits on me.

got some stick frrom it .

so i bought a training colar and stopped him working

for a couple of weeks brought him out

to the local field every evening and stated him on instant recal.

which he did nearly every time any way but the times he

did not i used the colar on him.

starting from the lowest level . you just have to make it

uncomfortable for the dog and have to be carefull not to over do it

on the levels .might be helpfull to ask around to see if you could get a loan of one.

once back in the field he caught his rabbit went to hide it and just as i called him he retrieved it straight

to hand and never had the problem again and never used the colar on him again.