ferret fell asleep during ferretin

my ferret has been working since 4 months old and its 3 years old now and in that time its never slept down a hole or fell asleep on tyhe job of ever let me down and today when i was ferreting a had done 4 massive warrens and on the last warren the ferret came out the hole so i put it on my arm and as a was walking across the warren and just about to put the ferret down the hole i noticed it had fell asleep on the job is that just a sign of old age or what its never done that before has anyone else had there ferret do that on them or what do you think is wrong with the ferret

Edited by borderhunter15

It could just have been tired out, even ferrets can have an off day. Is your ferret ok now? All normal in eating, drinking, activity, toileting etc? Coat ok? Ears clean, teeth ok? No odd lumps of bumps anywhere? Feet and nails ok? Any fighting with its companions, if it has any?

It could just have been tired out, even ferrets can have an off day. Is your ferret ok now? All normal in eating, drinking, activity, toileting etc? Coat ok? Ears clean, teeth ok? No odd lumps of bumps anywhere? Feet and nails ok? Any fighting with its companions, if it has any?

a have check him he looks to be all fine

How fit is the ferret? Does it live in a hutch? Or a court where it has plenty of room to exercise and keep fit. Older animals of all kinds tend to play less and sleep more as they get older. Same with dogs: lose fitness quicker and take longer to get fit. If you have to ferret at this time of year, like has already been said, chasing baby rabbits around warrens is a lot more tiring.

although everyone seems to think its a "he" you dont actually state wether its a hob or jill, not that it should make much difference, but you do state, it was after the 4th massive warren, and your doing this with one ferret :hmm: Im not suprised the poor bugga was tired, get him some help

just having a look at cheapest places to buy from, have found www.lamping.co.uk to be cheapest at 135quid for locator with one collar, anyone bought anything from them? Would like a bit of feed back before parting with hard earned cash, or any other places anyone can recomend to me.

I dont buy mutch online and am always a little suspicious of any transactions i am not physically present at, if you know what i mean.

Any help appreciated :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

you dont need a ferret finder if your ferrets are good workers or like you they will come back ouy but if they dont come out jus block the holes up and go back a few days later but if it still doesend come out or has escaped from warren jus go get another 2 they only cost about a 5a for a pair or people will probz give yousum kits for nothing

Good job he dident fall asleep to ground then ay mate :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

As already said mate he was knackered as regards it being to old 3 yr old is no age we have 6yr olds that work all day the difference is when they do the massive burys there is up to 10 of them working it 1 ferret is no where near enough to ferret something that size its horses for courses

glad he recovered ok

As already said mate he was knackered as regards it being to old 3 yr old is no age we have 6yr olds that work all day the difference is when they do the massive burys there is up to 10 of them working it 1 ferret is no where near enough to ferret something that size its horses for courses

glad he recovered ok

Wow! 10 ferrets working at once....surely no warren is big enough to need 10 ferrets? how many of you are there to keep on top of that?

I could be wrong but I'd have thought that number of ferrets in one warren would be blocking off escape routes and virtually guaranteeing kills underground?

• Like 2