badger cull

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TO THE ANTIS READING THIS FORUM. Do you see what your over zealous protection of badgers has done.All these brock that are going to be killed do not have to die,they could be dug out easily,safely and

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT WHY THE SUBJECT OF A CULL KEEPS CROPPING UP. THINK OF THE DAIRY FARMERS THAT ARE LOOSING CATTLE, 1ST THEY LOOSE WHATEVER CATTLE ARE INFECTED, FAIR ENOUGH THEY GET COMPENSATION FOR

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I finally received my response from the BBC. It only took 3 emails and then a phone call. Here it is for any who are interested;   Thank you for your email ab

Looks like they will be lamped and shot...

"In the RBCT, badgers were trapped in cages and shot.

However, the government - and farmers - are keen to have marksmen shooting badgers as they roam at night, which is much cheaper, under licences issued by Natural England.

The effectiveness of "controlled shooting", as it is now known, has never been tested.

Under the new draft guidelines, marksmen would have to hold a top level deerstalking licence, and would also have to undergo training on the specifics of killing badgers with a single shot, and on potential public safety ramifications.

The government envisages pilot culls going ahead in two areas, providing the consultation throws up no major obstacles.

Earlier reports suggested those areas would be in Devon and Gloucestershire, but Ms Spelman said no decision had been taken."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14204236

Guest busterdog

The only difference between level 1 and level 2 deer management is being able to show the physiology of the body in the postmortem, it looks like the normal chaps will be excluded again :hmm:

pardon my ignorance what is hock. :icon_redface:

part of the badgers back leg i would have thought similar to a pork hock i think.

its also part of a dogs anatomy -- aint having a go but you lads really should know ..

• Like 1
Guest busterdog

As the topic states as i just herd this on the news

jus wonderin how they will go about this cull,

whats everyones opinion ??

thanks artful

.17 hmr rifle the only way

Most people can't get fox on a 17hmr ticket let alone old brock, the powers that be always prefer overkill.

thanks artful

Most people can't get fox on a 17hmr ticket let alone old brock, the powers that be always prefer overkill.

If I was to hazzard a gues I would say they will want a min of .243.

Guest busterdog

thanks artful

I have .223 and .243 but if given the choice it would have to be the .223, what it looks at falls over nice and clean :toast: .

thanks artful

I have .223 and .243 but if given the choice it would have to be the .223, what it looks at falls over nice and clean :toast: .

22.250 would be my choice rather than the .223 ideal for the job

thanks artful

22.250 would be my choice rather than the .223 ideal for the job

The type of gun might be less important than the ability to kill the badger with one shot.

I don't shoot, but i am guessing that even the best marksman can miss.

Unlike shooting deer which happens in the open, the sett will probably be hidden under some cover.

In woodland with paths that may travel concealed for most of their length.

What happens if you only wound the badger and it makes it to ground.?

The Anti's have a lot to answer for.!!

Dig them out and test them would seem the most practical solution.

IMO.

• Like 1

cant see the gassing being done unless the wildlife act gets amended to be honest with shooting it means all badgers are on the hit list tb or not,trapping testing for tb then dug to would be the ideal way in an ideal world but we have more chance of finding rocking horse shit than that happening.

the easiest and cheapest way would be just to lift the protection of them and let folk get on with it , pre 74 there were still plenty about and guys were out digging them every weekend let alone roadkill and shooters, we dug 1000 s over the years my old man had a good market for badger hocks he had to suppement his money somehow and this was one way along with the rabbits and game birds

I think you will find it was badger hams that your

father was dealing in

Very tasty if cooked right ..or so i am led to belive :hmm:

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT WHY THE SUBJECT OF A CULL KEEPS CROPPING UP. THINK OF THE DAIRY FARMERS THAT ARE LOOSING CATTLE, 1ST THEY LOOSE WHATEVER CATTLE ARE INFECTED, FAIR ENOUGH THEY GET COMPENSATION FOR THE CULLED CATTLE, BUT IT'S THE AFTER AFFECT ON HIS INCOME. HIS MILK CANNOT BE DECLARED FIT FOR CONSUMPTION FOR A YEAR OR MORE, THAT'S WITH REGULAR TESTING OF HIS HEARD. THINK OF HIS INCOME! FEEDING AND VET BILLS FOR HIS HEARD AND NO MONEY COMMING FROM HIS MILK! ANY MILK HIS HEARD PRODUCES IS DUMPED DOWN THE DRAIN. THINK OF THE KNOCK ON AFFECT IF BOVINE BRUCILOCIOUS(SP) KEEPS SPREADING AT THE RATE IT IS? MORE HEARDS GOING DOWN, MORE MILK DOWN THE DRAIN, MORE MILK IMPORTS, LOCALLY PRODUCED MILK GETTING MORE EXPENSIVE. THERE'S A WIDER PICTURE THAN A CUDDLY LOOKING ANIMAL. WHO CARES WHAT METHOD IS USED. THE BADGER NEEDS TO COME OFF THE PROTECTED LIST.....END OF. BADGER BAITING IS A THING OF THE PAST. TIME TO AMMEND THE WILDLIFE BILL AND BE REALISTIC.

• Like 4