Who has / needs the best terriers ??

To all the Terriermen / Women out there  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who needs the best working terriers ?

• The Hunt Terrierman
    • The Freelance Terrierman

Right gents, this is a constructive question, no sarky clever arse remarks if you please. Regardless of name's , reputations etc etc, who in your opinion has or needs the best working terriers??, are we talking of hunt terriermen here or the freelance boys??.

A question, a genuine question to all the terriermen out there.

I look forward to all your CONSTRUCTIVE replies, and reasons behind them.

All the best

Bootsha

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont think there is difference between hunt and hobbie i just think that its the standard that any terrierman sets himself which depends on the dog he keeps if his personal standards are high he ll

the lads that work rock piles week in week out and do well have my respect ..a dog that either deals with or bolts its quarry regularly..gets its self out, has my respect

Theres more freelance type lads about thats all, not loads of lads who keep a terrier for our own pleasure have to worry about when they are blowing for terriers and want matey out and away double qui

Guest busterdog

The weekend digger only has limited space so he won't keep dogs for different uses but that said theres some dambed good hunt terrier lads with some dambed good terriers.

The weekend digger only has limited space so he won't keep dogs for different uses but that said theres some dambed good hunt terrier lads with some dambed good terriers.

Fair comment mate, agree 100%, I wonder after a few days how the poll will look ?. I hope it turns out to be an interesting topic, but most of all, stays costructive and true to the title.

ATB

B

reading a few posts lately and it seems like alot of people are of the impression that hunt terriermen keep little bolting jackers!!! some need to realise that they go out between hunt days and can be out 5 days a week giving dogs massive amounts of work.

• Like 1

One mans milk is another mans cream what I like may not please others I have a few dogs for different jobs and on a working day the truck has a few different dogs loaded if and when the need arrises They will be worked

• Like 1
Guest dee mac

I dont think there is difference between hunt and hobbie i just think that its the standard that any terrierman sets himself which depends on the dog he keeps if his personal standards are high he ll keep a kennell of dogs that reflect this if he settle s with ordinary then his dogs will be ordinary some hunt men keep a few different type s of terrier for the diff tasks they may encounter but the good hunt men will also have the top class dogs that will work too the very best standard . Even with lads that dig for sport the gulf between the dogs is huge and its back too same thing there standards its same in anything cars horses goldfish etc etc some people settle for ordinary some always want the best imo

• Like 4

As dee said its all down to the standards you set yourself,let it be hunt terrier man or ordinary joe soap.I have seen terriers that lads own and would call good,that i would not rate at all.Then the same lads would not keep what i use,everyone has a different opinion of a worker.Some like hard,some like sounders and then you have a minority that like a terrier that will come out or be called out after half an hour.I think its down to the individual that is working terriers,let it be hunt or otherwise,everyone differs.

the lads that work rock piles week in week out and do well have my respect ..a dog that either deals with or bolts its quarry regularly..gets its self out, has my respect :thumbs:

Yes,respect to them but how many terrier's have seen rock piles?

Hunt terriermen can keep as many terrier's as they like,weed out the bad stuff and your winning.

Not like the sport's man,it's hard work.But f**k it,it's good fun.

I walked two of the terrier pup's last week[a russel and pat]

the russel took off,swimming after a swan untill it could'nt.Awful thing to watch.

Poor thing drowned,that's the last of the lemon and white terrier's in my area.

All reply's to this post have fair and accurate content in them, all are constructive, the question of rock pile work is a genuine one, that i honestly had not thought into the equation.

One thing i will say from my own limited experience, I have had decent earth dogs and decent rock dogs, but a dog that is able to work a rock pile efficiently will always be able to work an earth, the reverse , however is not always the case.

If you've got a good dog to find and deal with an opponent in rocks, he'll find anywhere, i dont care what anyone say's. Again, just my humble opinion.

Regards

B :thumbs:

• Like 1

All reply's to this post have fair and accurate content in them, all are constructive, the question of rock pile work is a genuine one, that i honestly had not thought into the equation.

One thing i will say from my own limited experience, I have had decent earth dogs and decent rock dogs, but a dog that is able to work a rock pile efficiently will always be able to work an earth, the reverse , however is not always the case.

If you've got a good dog to find and deal with an opponent in rocks, he'll find anywhere, i dont care what anyone say's. Again, just my humble opinion.

Regards

B :thumbs:

Cant argue with that as i never worked rock piles,and from some of the pics ive seen in edrd i would not want to.I would say everytime you stick a terrier into one of them the prayer book is out,lol.