Yeah I do mate

so you are telling me that your dog is a digging dog and a ferreting dog ? no it dont cause if it was to mark a rabbit hole at will CRY AND YAP and mr rabbit would NEVER come out to play but what ever :whistling: how old is the dog couse it must have done 1200 diggs already and go rabbiting every day as well yeah right .in all my time working terrier i never seen it done would have to see it for myself .CANT BE DONE

Edited by Elmer Fudd 2011

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

theres stil sounders about my bitch is goin for her 4th season she mightn be everyones cup of tea but she suits me as i can take her out as often as i like not like all the big hard dogs that only

Lads agreed a lot Of gear can be had with a yapper but a lot of gear will also make a yapper look daft then you'll end up with holes dropped all over the hard vs yapper argument will go on for eterni

TM good quality terriers are gone scarce,let alone sounders,and if you have hard ones you dont want i will gladly take them of your hands.I can remember when i started diging first there was nothing t

theres stil sounders about my bitch is goin for her 4th season

she mightn be everyones cup of tea but she suits me as i can take her out

as often as i like not like all the big hard dogs that only get 3 or 4 digs a year

i know what i prefer but each to there own :angel:

atb artful

• Like 1

i have just had this out on another post as i have a few bayers that i can use every day and i got them knocked on this site by folk who reckon they know it all, maybe they do but i will say, that my little bayers will always be here for me and not lying in kennels bashed up for weeks on end. To me, these so called hard or kennel stressed terriers are ten a penny. They arent clever dogs but stupid dogs. How on earth can a dog that can only be used a few times a year be worth a bed in kennels is beyond me but this is only my personal opinion, yis Del.

Lads agreed a lot Of gear can be had with a yapper but a lot of gear will also make a yapper look daft then you'll end up with holes dropped all over the hard vs yapper argument will go on for eternity a dog that's parked up after everydig and only managed three digs is in my eyes impossible it would either spew or be dead obviously the man that made that comment hasn't worked many hard dogs granted a hard dog will take some wallop but to park him up all season withonly three digs it's impossible unless your seasons only a couple of month long I will add a dog that starts very hard with the correct amount of work will nine times out of ten be steadied the Ones that won't steady either jack die or pts this is my opinion and no dOubt a few will mock I'm speaking from a lot of experience working these type of dogs and for me one with balls is the Dog I'll be putting in the jeep

• Like 1

Hunt, i agree with you here mate. I will also be very honest and say that i have had on very few occasions the need or wish that i had brought my hard dog to complete a mission due to the ground being impenitrable and i could not reach old Charlie boy. One that springs to mind is a hole we part dug where we encountered a boulder that was frikkin massive, on top of another couple of boulders and no way could we dig this. I could see my wee tyke baying away and Charlies nose could just be seen but could not be reached. We spent about 3 hours fannying about (yes lads, fannying about is the correct term) To me the dog was doing exactly what it is bred to do which is to keep her quarry at bay but on this occasion, this is all she could do. I had to send another guy back to the kennels to bring a slightly different type of terrier in order to stir this up and get the job done. So i will say this time was needed for something different but as always its horses for courses in my book yis Del.

Hi folks I've just noticed lately that , good quality traditional sounders are gone scarce , well around my area they are! I know there a must have in the uk , with all the regulations :-), but I find it's easy enough to pick up the harder bred dogs but the sounder seems to be gone scarce, I'd like to here other Irish members views about this !

Pre-ban in Ireland when there were two types of terriers "Sounders" and "Strong dogs" it seemed easier to pick up a sounder for the job required.

Everyone knew what a "sounders" job was. Find,Bay and Stay. A small Russell would do the job well.

After breaking through the sounder was lifted. The strong dog (Staff or Wheaten) came forward to do his job.

It seems less clear from some posts what some people want a "sounder" to do.

If I am reading it correctly there are guys who are trying to get an all in one dog.

If they could breed a 20lb Wheaten or a 20lb Staff they would have the best of both worlds.

There is great emphasis put on a LARGE HEAD, big dogs that can GET ON to the quarry.

GAME dogs that will take HOLD and FINISH the job.

The smooth black dogs seem to be an attempt to become this all in one dog.

Just my opinion but that is not a sounder.

:thumbs:

Hi folks I've just noticed lately that , good quality traditional sounders are gone scarce , well around my area they are! I know there a must have in the uk , with all the regulations :-), but I find it's easy enough to pick up the harder bred dogs but the sounder seems to be gone scarce, I'd like to here other Irish members views about this !

TM good quality terriers are gone scarce,let alone sounders,and if you have hard ones you dont want i will gladly take them of your hands.I can remember when i started diging first there was nothing to be had only white bodied terriers of different make up,some or most had bull in them while more where fox terrier russellxs then there was the sealyham russells all were good diging dogs and a lot were to ground for very long periods because there were no locaters then,so they were tested for gameness and staying power.Then the black dogs started to creep through in different locations around the country and the locater also came on the scene.The black dogs started to take over and the good little terriers people had been using for years got left behind,some say there is no comparing them to the black ones but imo they were as good as any black dog ive seen work and believe me i have seen a lot of them from the big name breeding that were pure rubbish.There are still lads around the country with good little white bodied diging dogs and fair play to them.Ilost a very good dog a couple of year back that could be dug to all day all week if you wanted,and was always on top of his game when you broke through,never had to sink a second drop with him,but they are hard got now.

• Like 1

Pre-ban in Ireland when there were two types of terriers "Sounders" and "Strong dogs" it seemed easier to pick up a sounder for the job required.

Everyone knew what a "sounders" job was. Find,Bay and Stay. A small Russell would do the job well.

After breaking through the sounder was lifted. The strong dog (Staff or Wheaten) came forward to do his job.

If I am reading it correctly there are guys who are trying to get an all in one dog.

If they could breed a 20lb Wheaten or a 20lb Staff they would have the best of both worlds.

There is great emphasis put on a LARGE HEAD, big dogs that can GET ON to the quarry.

pre-ban there was every type of working style of terriers about , just like to day .

Hunt, i agree with you here mate. I will also be very honest and say that i have had on very few occasions the need or wish that i had brought my hard dog to complete a mission due to the ground being impenitrable and i could not reach old Charlie boy. One that springs to mind is a hole we part dug where we encountered a boulder that was frikkin massive, on top of another couple of boulders and no way could we dig this. I could see my wee tyke baying away and Charlies nose could just be seen but could not be reached. We spent about 3 hours fannying about (yes lads, fannying about is the correct term) To me the dog was doing exactly what it is bred to do which is to keep her quarry at bay but on this occasion, this is all she could do. I had to send another guy back to the kennels to bring a slightly different type of terrier in order to stir this up and get the job done. So i will say this time was needed for something different but as always its horses for courses in my book yis Del.

so even after you knew the place could not be dug, you went away and got another dog and put him to ground as well in the same spot :blink: .

Think he just means they needed a harder dog that would take hold to finish the job the bayer couldn't mate.

so even after you knew the place could not be dug, you went away and got another dog and put him to ground as well in the same spot :blink: .

Think he just meant they needed a dog that would take hold to finish the dig mate

Edited by CorkyJohn

pre-ban there was every type of working style of terriers about , just like to day .

Every type of working style, I agree, but two "types" (maybe type is the wrong description). Sounder and Strong.

Not too many "Mute" sounders around before locaters.(they would NOT BE around for too long).

JMO

Is that a new book cover in your avatar?

Edited by p3d

TM good quality terriers are gone scarce,let alone sounders,and if you have hard ones you dont want i will gladly take them of your hands.I can remember when i started diging first there was nothing to be had only white bodied terriers of different make up,some or most had bull in them while more where fox terrier russellxs then there was the sealyham russells all were good diging dogs and a lot were to ground for very long periods because there were no locaters then,so they were tested for gameness and staying power.Then the black dogs started to creep through in different locations around the country and the locater also came on the scene.The black dogs started to take over and the good little terriers people had been using for years got left behind,some say there is no comparing them to the black ones but imo they were as good as any black dog ive seen work and believe me i have seen a lot of them from the big name breeding that were pure rubbish.There are still lads around the country with good little white bodied diging dogs and fair play to them.Ilost a very good dog a couple of year back that could be dug to all day all week if you wanted,and was always on top of his game when you broke through,never had to sink a second drop with him,but they are hard got now.

fatman you say good quality terriers are gone scarce? sounds funny as i was reading another thread on this today about the amount of digs the irish lads are getting a season,some very large numbers.

Sounder what i meant was years ago you could pick a terrier of the street and take it out and it would work,but that day is gone.How many for sale ads do you see now for unreal money and most of these dogs advertised as workers or from proven workers are in fact just rubbish.As for the amount of diging we get well thats up to the individual who gets his or her dogs out every chance they get.I think a lot of the lads that are moaning about not geting the diging are not puting in the time.Its no good going out for a dig after dinner on a sunday and then straight home to the pup or whatever,you wont get results like that.I know kevem em and neil cooney and a lot more of the lads of here and they are geting the diging they say there geting with ease including ourselves.I know that a few year back neil conney and myself had well over a 100 digs between two bitches,and that was just with them,so it is not hard to build up the numbers.