Artificial Insemination

I don't do it myself,but know the lad has had a very good success rate. Two breedings were done for me & both took.

Last time i spoke to someone about storage i am sure the annual cost was a lot lower than you mentioned. Maybe now it has took off this last few year,the cost has come down ?

It would be great to have the funds to store some frozen as we all have something worth holding onto.

I don't do it myself,but know the lad has had a very good success rate. Two breedings were done for me & both took.

Last time i spoke to someone about storage i am sure the annual cost was a lot lower than you mentioned. Maybe now it has took off this last few year,the cost has come down ?

It would be great to have the funds to store some frozen as we all have something worth holding onto.

Dont forget 10 years ago AI in dogs was pretty much unheard of to the general public.....now you can buy an AI kit anywhere for about a score !!....Like anything when somethings rare it costs,when it becomes popular that cost comes down.

Having some frozen isnt where the expense is......the expense is turning it into pups :D

current prices in ireland.

Fees and Charges

No. Service Price **

1. Semen collection, analysis without freezing 50

2. Semen collection, analysis & freezing 285

3. Preparation of chilled semen 50

4. Storage first 12 months free

5. Storage after 12 months per cane (up to 6 vials) 60

6. Blood test for export when required 75

7. Health certificate per donor 80

8. Import/Export Permit (if required) 60

9. Customs duty on import of semen varies

10. Department Vet certification 65

11. Blood test (Progesterone) sent by post 20

12. Blood test (Progesterone) and cytology 40

13. Artificial Insemination with fresh semen 50

14. Artificial insemination with frozen semen (implant only) 250

15. Transcervical Insemination 150

16. Boarding per animal per day 8

17. Shipping administration charge per donor 100

18. Rental of shipper up to one week 100

19. Semen retrieval (for export/relocation) 30

20. Preparation of a dry shipper container for shipping 50

21. DNA test for USA 100

22. Copy of collection certificate/semen inventory, etc 5

23. Approximate air freight charges (FedEx, DHL) Europe,

USA each way* 200-250

24. Approximate air freight charges (FedEx, DHL)

Australia/New Zealand each way* 350

* Charges are given as guidelines only. Shipping charges may vary considerably due to carrier’s fuel surcharges, location and the possibility to share the container with other breeders. Please contact us to register your interest in shipping to particular location and/or for exact quotation on shipping costs.

** Deposit of €1,000 euros is required for the rental of the container. The deposit is returned when the dry shipper is returned to Trade Genetics.

** ALL PRICES ARE IN EURO, INCLUDING VAT @ 13.5%

Thank you very much for the replies, its purely because i have an old dog i would like to have a litter from, he mated a bitch last year but she didn't take, this could be because the old fella is firing blanks as he is 11. The bitch i would like him to cover wont break down until the spring so its all theory at the moment but it would mean storing the semen straws. This is my dog of a lifetime im sure so it would bother me not to have something to keep from him in my kennels. I'll look into your information guys, but gnasher if it is in the £3k range it wont happen :thumbs:

First step i should imagine is to get a sample from the dog and get it tested for fertility . . . . no point going down the AI route if he's firing blanks.

Any vet will do this for you i had the lab done about 3 months ago . . . he tied with a bitch 3 times, yet he is castrated . . . the previous owner had him done, and i needed to check they actually had, not just said they had because his balls never dropped as a pup. Easy process, my vet had it out in minutes and test results by the end of the day, About £50 i think . . . . you can get the sample yourself . . . . depends how you roll with shit like that! :tongue2:

current prices in ireland.

Fees and Charges

No. Service Price **

1. Semen collection, analysis without freezing 50

2. Semen collection, analysis & freezing 285

3. Preparation of chilled semen 50

4. Storage first 12 months free

5. Storage after 12 months per cane (up to 6 vials) 60

6. Blood test for export when required 75

7. Health certificate per donor 80

8. Import/Export Permit (if required) 60

9. Customs duty on import of semen varies

10. Department Vet certification 65

11. Blood test (Progesterone) sent by post 20

12. Blood test (Progesterone) and cytology 40

13. Artificial Insemination with fresh semen 50

14. Artificial insemination with frozen semen (implant only) 250

15. Transcervical Insemination 150

16. Boarding per animal per day 8

17. Shipping administration charge per donor 100

18. Rental of shipper up to one week 100

19. Semen retrieval (for export/relocation) 30

20. Preparation of a dry shipper container for shipping 50

21. DNA test for USA 100

22. Copy of collection certificate/semen inventory, etc 5

23. Approximate air freight charges (FedEx, DHL) Europe,

USA each way* 200-250

24. Approximate air freight charges (FedEx, DHL)

Australia/New Zealand each way* 350

* Charges are given as guidelines only. Shipping charges may vary considerably due to carrier’s fuel surcharges, location and the possibility to share the container with other breeders. Please contact us to register your interest in shipping to particular location and/or for exact quotation on shipping costs.

** Deposit of €1,000 euros is required for the rental of the container. The deposit is returned when the dry shipper is returned to Trade Genetics.

** ALL PRICES ARE IN EURO, INCLUDING VAT @ 13.5%

The Dealer,thanks a lot for putting that up.

Gnasher,i agree with what you said.

The last few year has seen some working lads investing in this for the future. I really am confused as to why many more have not taken that route in all working breeds as with each year passing & all the law changes,things don't look too rosey for the future.

Am i right in thinking any frozen straws reduce in fertility even though they are frozen,the longer they are there ?

The Dealer,thanks a lot for putting that up.

Gnasher,i agree with what you said.

The last few year has seen some working lads investing in this for the future. I really am confused as to why many more have not taken that route in all working breeds as with each year passing & all the law changes,things don't look too rosey for the future.

Am i right in thinking any frozen straws reduce in fertility even though they are frozen,the longer they are there ?

Ive not heard that....its frozen in liquid nitrogen at something like minus 200 degrees,once its thawed its only fertile for something like 24-36 hours....but im not aware that it loses fertility while frozen.... my experience of all this was at its early stages over here and there wasnt the info available like there is now,but i wouldnt imagine the basic theory can have changed too much.I know back then they preferred to do the insemination surgically whereas today i believe they prefer to do it trans cervically ( straight up the fanny ) with some instrument i forget the name of it now....but apart from that im not sure its changed too much.

I think the reason its not used more is quite often folk just think its too much hassle and so breed to a different dog......but in some breeding programs theres just no option to do that,in which case AI is the only way to avoid a compromise on what you really want.

Edited by gnasher16

can be expensive but dosent have to be. as folk say, get the dog tested, he may be queer like you.... if he aint drop me a line... im a world of knowledge with spunk and other messy substances.

Thanks for all the advice and had some great pm's. And you young man were the first bperson i thought of in relation to spunk!!!! :tongue2: Cheers JR, im gonna phone the local vet this week but may give you a ring for some advice :thumbs:

Thank you very much for the replies, its purely because i have an old dog i would like to have a litter from, he mated a bitch last year but she didn't take, this could be because the old fella is firing blanks as he is 11. The bitch i would like him to cover wont break down until the spring so its all theory at the moment but it would mean storing the semen straws. This is my dog of a lifetime im sure so it would bother me not to have something to keep from him in my kennels. I'll look into your information guys, but gnasher if it is in the £3k range it wont happen :thumbs:

First step i should imagine is to get a sample from the dog and get it tested for fertility . . . . no point going down the AI route if he's firing blanks.

Any vet will do this for you i had the lab done about 3 months ago . . . he tied with a bitch 3 times, yet he is castrated . . . the previous owner had him done, and i needed to check they actually had, not just said they had because his balls never dropped as a pup. Easy process, my vet had it out in minutes and test results by the end of the day, About £50 i think . . . . you can get the sample yourself . . . . depends how you roll with shit like that! :tongue2:

I wonder if with a bit of research and loan of a microscope avoid the vets for getting a good idea of his fertility in those circumstances, but for the sake of a nifty.....

• 8 months later...