collie x grey

Johnny- When out in big spaces here anyway they use a BC type dog but "Cattle Bred" a bigger rougher, harder upstairs in the brain type collie. In the pens ,corrals around the ranch I see allot of ACD's or Kelpies. One thing I noticed allot of these cowdogs have been bred worker to worker as they dont care what color, breed ect as long as its working. My neighbor has a BC X Rotty that he uses for work and catching cows lol.

Bird I had a ACD and Kelpies pure and X's the ACD as he got older got real sharp with people. He was one tough customer boy , if you turned your back he'd let ya know haha. I had to get rid of him because of that in the end.

Here is a pick of my Kemmer Cur [like a hound} I use for bear hunting. Bull got loose and he acted like he wanted some so I said have at it. Made that bull behave well lol.

Untitled00008-60.jpg

Untitled00012-26.jpg

Untitled00012-39.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a very popular breed, in the 60s/ 70s Hill collie bitch with a champion coursing greyhound, that was the best way, out of litter say 7 pups you may get 3 good decent dogs, for all round, edible

not a hare coursing dog, but as taken odd few mooching, is fast for a 1x ,and as is good on all edible quarry. As brill nose finding quarry, finds loads of birds,rabbits,deer, and to me thats what mak

BL- Great info, I have a loading shute for cattle at my house , so the men running cattle use it from time to time to sort, ship and stuff. Yesterday a crew showed up with about 8 Q Horses and two cow

Posted Images

Johnny- When out in big spaces here anyway they use a BC type dog but "Cattle Bred" a bigger rougher, harder upstairs in the brain type collie. In the pens ,corrals around the ranch I see allot of ACD's or Kelpies. One thing I noticed allot of these cowdogs have been bred worker to worker as they dont care what color, breed ect as long as its working. My neighbor has a BC X Rotty that he uses for work and catching cows lol.

Bird I had a ACD and Kelpies pure and X's the ACD as he got older got real sharp with people. He was one tough customer boy , if you turned your back he'd let ya know haha. I had to get rid of him because of that in the end.

Here is a pick of my Kemmer Cur [like a hound} I use for bear hunting. Bull got loose and he acted like he wanted some so I said have at it. Made that bull behave well lol.

Untitled00008-60.jpg

Untitled00012-26.jpg

Untitled00012-39.jpg

:thumbs:

thanks Stunt on the ACD's, yes that what ive heard they will use there teeth very easily. Maybe with some border's they might need a drop of somthing to them stiffin them up a bit, maybe bit of bull or ACD but not much. Most bullxs have good temps with people and dogs, so maybe there then.!!

ACD are generally more heavily built than the hill collie types, tell me if im wrong but wouldn't this take speed off a first cross? maybe a 3/4 bred acd/grey would be more like a Fx collie/grey? hmm.gif

i think you are right mate, :thumbs: 1/4 ACD 3/4 grey or lurcher would make brill lurcher. A 1/4 of a dog like a ACD,is till plenty :thumbs:

be interesting to see one work, think they'd be a good animal for quarry that bites back, same with the kelpie. Got a kelpie on my uncles farm and well you can tell when there's a fox in the yard cos his dog house moves about 10m and it weighs a tonne. Put him over a grey and i think you'd get a good fox dog yes.gif

a155ccda.jpg

64f8689e.jpg

df6ed9b2.jpg

My collie grey pup she is 4 1/2 months in pic. 3/8 5/8 border and beardy grey.

What are your thoughts on the differences of border bred and beardy bred x's ? How much difference in size strength and ability is expected from the 2 ?

I have a kelpie x and shes highly inteligent,I use her for ferreting,rabbit shooting,goat shooting,shes capable of learning anything fast.I have intentions of breding her in the future and some day might need a stud.I want either a 3/4 bred G.H/Collie or another kelpie x.Theres a young dog coming on which will more than likely fill my needs but always looking out for other similar type.I havent come across any that would make me want to use for stud.Good post and interesting reading.

a155ccda.jpg

64f8689e.jpg

df6ed9b2.jpg

My collie grey pup she is 4 1/2 months in pic. 3/8 5/8 border and beardy grey.

What are your thoughts on the differences of border bred and beardy bred x's ? How much difference in size strength and ability is expected from the 2 ?

I seem to remember someone on this site put some pics up of his collie crosses a while back. Not sure if they were 3/4, but it looked as though they certainly were more than capable of taking any quarry. Think it was undisputed

ACD are generally more heavily built than the hill collie types, tell me if im wrong but wouldn't this take speed off a first cross? maybe a 3/4 bred acd/grey would be more like a Fx collie/grey? hmm.gif

ACD are deceptively athletic and fast, a half cross is similar to a collie half cross. A 3/4 cross could well be awesome.

that coursing grey, back in those times was a well balanced dog, 26" / 27" weight about 65 to 70lb he had the pace to get up to his quarry, and could and stamina to go with,it, sadly those dogs have disappeared, ....

.... if you saw a real collie work, they can turn a beast weighing, almost a tonne, and drive to were his master wants him, then they can go to a field, pregnant Ewes, and Handle them with care..

Hi Borderlad, all is yet not lost mate. There are still some very useful greyhounds. It just takes a while to find them, and the same goes for the collies. If you look out on remote farms in Ireland and Wales, there are a few hardy collies still doing the job. But the situation is changing fast! Not long before these small old time farms will be closing up. :(