Mine was a blue as well and he was an evil big sod if they get problems he came with you have a real big problem when a 80 kg dog hates people.They slobber and your constantly washing walls etc down or it lands in your coffee and what not thats the only reason i wouldnt have another that and they die way too young the dogs being bred today are crap and they cost plenty to feed comapared to lurchers or such other dogs My dads dogs get through at least 15kg of food per week and they get a lot of extra stuff added as well if they werent getting that it would hit at least 20 kg a week

I personally wouldn't get one because of the associated health problems with the breed. Too much irresponsible ignorant breeding as with most non-working dogs. I would be interested to see what they should look like and what they were orginally bred for because i don't know much about them at all, i have disregarded them a lot.

They were originally bred for boar hunting and other big game :thumbs: That was long before the kc got hold of it though the way theyre bred nowadays theres not much worth having about them.Its a shame cos the old school ones were really nice dogs but as i said be prepared to be washing walls daily and re painting all the time nothings out of reach either and the vet bills when they get on a bit (example 5 years old Maybe 6)

Short lifespan (maybe thats just as well!)

Leg problems (such as rickets)

and can shit a fair turd too...!

Ain't my cup of tea but if your determined...

Check out the pair from the old film Swiss Family Robinson (with John Mills), the tiger scene. :thumbs:

its just waiting for a THL breeding program

This is what the one next door to me does but not to a frog ,, it comes out and just stands and barks constantly ,, in there house if the phone goes it barks , the door goes it barks , through the night if a car comes into the street it barks ,,, when it's left alone it barks and after a bit it starts to howl, waste of space if you ask me ,, and so are the people that own it

dont think all great danes are like the ones we have in this country, their still used as guard dogs in south africa and are used as pigdogs in Oz. :thumbs:

yes they use them in Oz , they x them same as boxers, and irish wolfhounds. As you say there either got better breeds(lines) out there, or they will use any shit.!!

dont think all great danes are like the ones we have in this country, their still used as guard dogs in south africa and are used as pigdogs in Oz. :thumbs:

yes they use them in Oz , they x them same as boxers, and irish wolfhounds. As you say there either got better breeds(lines) out there, or they will use any shit.!!

Or they cull like feck, and hope for the odd genetic throwback? Seems to work though doesn't it, and it makes you wonder!