have always wanted one and lately was thinking of getting one as a pet..

whats your expeience of them?

do they make good pets?

any other info would be great!

cheers

ps few pics aswell :thumbs:

Yes my dad has 2 currently ive fostered loads and had one for years as a pet.Theyre not for the faint hearted the slobbers alone are a nightmare one of the reasons i never got another one.They dont live long enough 9 is old for a dane and they can bloat at the drop off a hat.Theyre not cheap to feed either and need about 4 meals a day to prevent bloat they bloat if the get stressed as well.Have a load of contacts if you want a rescue one there are a fair few youngsters about just now and if you want can give you a few websites that know their stuff and see how you feel they cost a lot vet wise too and they more often than not end up with heart problems and bone issues

My mate Shaggy has got one.....a bit thick and scared shitless of ghosts but it can talk........ :icon_eek:

• Like 1

my old neighbor had one that was scared of everything that moved including traffic,used to produce some feckin drool aswell.

I like wolfhounds a bit more i knew an old lady who had one and it was fearless and a very good guard dog,plus no drool.

either way i think its a giant vets bill on legs.

dont think all great danes are like the ones we have in this country, their still used as guard dogs in south africa and are used as pigdogs in Oz. :thumbs:

I was speaking to an American fella a couple of years ago who reckoned there was a few over in the states that were schutzhund 3.

dont know if its true or not.

dont think all great danes are like the ones we have in this country, their still used as guard dogs in south africa and are used as pigdogs in Oz. :thumbs:

I was speaking to an American fella a couple of years ago who reckoned there was a few over in the states that were schutzhund 3.

dont know if its true or not.

i can believe it blan, theres still boxers doing the business as well.

Had a Blue one years ago was a great dog.

Dont eat as much a people think and also dont need a lot of exercise.

Prone to hip problems and as has been said short life span.

For a big dog you hardly know you got em.

Oh and bear in mind if you do get one as a pup house train it quick!! Its a big mess to clear up :D

Also bear in mind the worktops dinner table etc are all at head height!