i have been asked to rempve a fox from a friend of mines garden. the set is not in there garden but every nite the fox is in there digging up flower beds and causing a nusence.

so the best way i can think of is to trap it.

i have the designs to make a box trap but i was just wondering if a fox would go into a dark trap and not be spooked off.

this is because the trap will be made from wood so will be dark inside.

id like to no if anyone else has had succss with this.

i have been asked to rempve a fox from a friend of mines garden. the set is not in there garden but every nite the fox is in there digging up flower beds and causing a nusence.

so the best way i can think of is to trap it.

i have the designs to make a box trap but i was just wondering if a fox would go into a dark trap and not be spooked off.

this is because the trap will be made from wood so will be dark inside.

id like to no if anyone else has had succss with this.

I have never had much success myself with a wooden box trap for foxes but they are used a lot on the continent. I would be very interested to hear how you get on with it though. :victory:

There are a few threads running about baits and sites for cage traps for foxes - they would be transferrable to your project, I am sure.

One thing I would like to ask, though, is what you intend to do with the captive once you have caught it - I mean remove or dispatch in the trap, and how?

OTC

A snare would be as good a way as any but you need to get your act together on what you're going to do with it. Once it's caught by what ever means you have a duty and a legal obligation to deal with it swiftly and it will make a bit of a noise which may make you unpopular with the house owners.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Alec; I've no personal experiance of cage trapping foxes what so ever, mate. Never tried because I never figured out what to do with one, should I manage to catch one. Simple as that.

I posed this question to a forum full of my peers. Professional Pest Controllers of all walks. The up shot was ~ as I recall ~ that there's really only one practicable method of despatch. A firearm.

To most of us, this would boil down to a .410 shotgun. Have you access to a .410? If not, I shouldn't bother building that trap because, for the life of me, I honestly can't think of a workable way to get the fox out otherwise.

Of course, a .32 Loose Ball Pistol is the surpreme professionals tool. But they're not easily come by, for most of us. You, I or anyone else could simply buy a Cash Captive Bolt Humane Killer. No liceance required for one of those, in england. But then how will ye ever get it onto the right spot of than foxes head? It's not about to push it's nut against the bars and hold still for ye. I've mulled over all this endlessly.

No. 2" cartridge, heavy load, down a .410 shot gun. Point Blank. Blowed if I've ever heard of another method. I understand a .22 Rimfire between the eyes works as well. But, in uk, we'd be pretty well away with the fairies to start imagining half of us even owned one of those, eh?

Anyway, don't be swept away with the hype, mate. There's nothing wrong with a snare. As it's a domestic situation it'll be pretty much watched over anyway. As long as next door doesn't have a garden hopping Dog or cat, where's the problem? And then, if ye catch the fox and the snare doesn't finish him in short order? Ye have free and ready access to his brain box. Pin him. Whack him. All done. No fuss. No mess.

Best of luck.

Guest Nightwalker

The last time this question was asked on this forum it was by an undercover journalist who was seeking to make sensationalist headlines. I think the best answer would be to go for the permanent solution and help your mate improve his fencing so it cant get into the garden in the first place or run a couple of strands of wire from a proper electirc fencing units to deter it, a jolt or so from that and he will soon feck off elsewhere. If this is an urban garden I cant think of a better way of making yourself unpopular with your neighbours and potentially getting embroiled with RSPCA, police and journalists than by snaring it or going and trapping it and then having to shoot it. Imagine also the potential for conflict if you snare your neighbours cats

i see your point nightwalker but im no journilist.

i just asked the question because i was asked to do a favour by a mate and came here to see if any one had any suggestions.

ditch shitter i do have access to a .410 but i am starting to swing towards the idea of a snare. but thanks for your in put

I would like to add something if I may. I live in the US and am not very up on UK or English laws. However I have snared over 10,000 animals in the US and Canada. I can tell you that foxes in general are really easy to snare. If you set the loop at the proper height and diameter, you will amost always miss a cat and catch a fox. Foxes do not need to be shot. I have killed thousands and never fired one shot. If given something to wrap up on (like a steel rod) they will most always "choke up". Other than that, a short rap on the snout will render most foxes unconscience. It is very easy to do if you have a tight spot. On "box" traps, it's hard to get adult fox in them. I would prefer a large wire one with live bait in a bait compartment that the fox couldn't get to. Over here, we sometimes use roosters( cocks ) to lure in bobcats. I use 1/16 cable on foxes without any problems.

Guest Nightwalker
I would like to add something if I may. I live in the US and am not very up on UK or English laws. However I have snared over 10,000 animals in the US and Canada. I can tell you that foxes in general are really easy to snare. If you set the loop at the proper height and diameter, you will amost always miss a cat and catch a fox. Foxes do not need to be shot. I have killed thousands and never fired one shot. If given something to wrap up on (like a steel rod) they will most always "choke up". Other than that, a short rap on the snout will render most foxes unconscience. It is very easy to do if you have a tight spot. On "box" traps, it's hard to get adult fox in them. I would prefer a large wire one with live bait in a bait compartment that the fox couldn't get to. Over here, we sometimes use roosters( cocks ) to lure in bobcats. I use 1/16 cable on foxes without any problems.

The use of live baits in a trap for fox is illegal in the UK and would definitely result in prosecution and your cats must be much easier to miss than cats over here!

However I have snared over 10,000 animals in the US and Canada. I can tell you that foxes in general are really easy to snare. If you set the loop at the proper height and diameter, you will amost always miss a cat and catch a fox. Foxes do not need to be shot. I have killed thousands and never fired one shot.

I'd like to see a pic of these number you state so openly.

I would be more than happy to accommodate you mate! You'll need to send me your address as I don't have a digital camara and do not know how to post a picture on the web if I did. I have trapped and snared 7 states here in the US and in Manitba, Canada. I have snared 29 years since I was a teenager. I have caught coyotes, foxes,(red and greys) raccoons, bobcats, otter, beaver,mink, muskrat, skunks, squirrels and O'possums. O'Gorman? Not hardly....but thanks for the compliment. Actually we have guys over here that snare 800-1000 raccoons a season along with other fur bearers. I'm no where near that. I am however, a full time Animal Damage Controll Agent that covers up to 10 counties. I trap 12 mo. a year. 365 / 24-7 ! I don't do this for fun....This is my job! v v