kerry beaqgles

A friend of mine in victoria is the terrierman for a hunt called the Barwon hunt. he was tell me last night that they run Kerry beagles as well as fox hounds. So I was woundering if any one on here hunts with this type of hound and how do they handle ?

A friend of mine in victoria is the terrierman for a hunt called the Barwon hunt. he was tell me last night that they run Kerry beagles as well as fox hounds. So I was woundering if any one on here hunts with this type of hound and how do they handle ?

fast seen a couple last season allways up in the thick of it ;)

the scarteen foxhounds over here in ireland use nothing else.. great cry and f**k they can hunt. been hunted by the ryan familt for donkeys years.

with the old huntsman after a meet telling me about the kerry beagals at scarteen

Edited by gonetoearth

Where did your pup come from pepa? I knew of a fella that imported hill/fell type foxhounds for his deer hunting years ago some of the ones I owned came down from these hounds. when the foxhound deer huntng ban came into victoria I heard he was importing kerry beagles to try and be able to use them. Not sure if he ever did.

good luck with your pup it will be interesting to hear how she turns out.

Mine came from the import you were talking about.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/legal-beagles-are-vcats-bone-of-contention/2005/09/19/1126982001967.html?from=moreStories

When they banned him from using them one of the hunt clubs took them on. I got mine because they were only breeding for Black & Tans and mine threw mainly White with a bit of Tan. Fine for me, I am not too fussed about the colour as long as it hunts.

Kerry Beagles are quite common in Ireland. To my knowledge the Scarteen is the only mounted foxhunt that hunts only Kerry Beagles, other packs may run some Kerry beagles along with English Foxhounds/Harriers. Outside of County Kerry the breed is known as the Irish harrier, although the Kerry men will say that their hounds are a different breed to the Irish harrier. While there are some differences in the hounds kept in the north of Ireland and those in Kerry e.g. the northern hounds is in general smaller and lighter boned, in my opinion the hounds are all the same breed. The hounds are kept mostly in trencher fed footpacks. As the hounds are hunted on foot they are much more independent than a foxhound and are expected to beat cover and hunt a line on their own with little or no assistance from a huntsman. From my discussion with huntsmen of Mounted foxhunts they find them to heedless to hunt with. They will often find that when they blow for home it is a signal for the Kerry beagle to start hunting twice as hard. As they are hunted on foot good deep tongue is considered essential, as the pack might often be hunting a few miles from where the foot followers are, a good cry is needed to track the progress of the hunt.

Thanks once again for the replies some good information. yep pepa Graham is the fella I had some love hounds from in the late 80s, shame about he failed with his attempt in court bloody governments ya.