Carp Puddles

Couldn't agree more.

However, i think there is more to it. Carp puddles are easy fishing, no long walks, your car is safe ?? a cafe on site so on, so on. Same with lots of thing nowadays, it's the Playstation age. If the "Natural" waters had been looked after better by the EA (Cormorants spring to mind) perhaps the Carp puddle revolution might never of happened. When i used to fish the matches, did we have some long walks or what ?? 300 pegs in one Stainy national, 4 big fields to get to the old stretch at Newton Solney. When the fishing was good, no problem. I wouldn't do it now.

What i do think is a shame is there is now a generation of anglers that have never fished a natural venue, some of them wouldn't even know how to shot a float to fish a river with. My Carp fishing mate being one of them. To me thats very sad.

i can see how there good for some people who have not got proper lakes near them or to introduce people into the sport. and as someone has said it keeps all the numpties in one place! for me i prefer the 50 acre syndicate with a low stock of fish and proper anglers!

i can see how there good for some people who have not got proper lakes near them or to introduce people into the sport. and as someone has said it keeps all the numpties in one place! for me i prefer the 50 acre syndicate with a low stock of fish and proper anglers!

you love to be with then numpties alan told me they call you jaffer because of all them blanks :tongue2: low fish stock and proper anglers more like campers every dangler to there own god bless ya

Ian Heaps

Ian Heaps has got a carp puddle of his own here in Pembrokeshire! :D

http://www.ian-heaps.com/

Never seen the point in catching tame fish in a pond just to put back in again. Totally goes against the fishing for food ethos I've been brought up with. Sea fishing for me every time, or failing that river fishing for a few wild, brown trout. :thumbs:

i was reading an article a while back by mike weaver on fly fishing for carp. A pocketful of floating freebies with some superglued onto hooks and he's roaming round these day ticket places with the bivvy brigade with half their garage looking on whilst he's getting all the action.

Got out of the match scene years ago as it was all going to pulling as many over stocked pastie carp out of a puddle as you could in 5 hrs, I carried on fishing the river sometimes settling in to a swim sometimes roving with a bait apron you have to think on moving water, and adapt as the situation arises, I fished a lot on the tidal stretch of our river this again presented new problems as the depth of the river changes constantly and each swim can fish differently at different states of the tide, but there's some cracking fish in this stretch some real big bream ( if your prepared to sit it out) good chub, roach and dace on the stick or waggler. Many years ago I done a mail mission for the anglers mail on this stretch and caught 5 chub all over 3lb in a couple of hours on the stick float wading out to the middle of the river and trotting under the far side trees, this to me was proper fishing.

I was working in the tackle shop ( i was 17/18) and every year we would go to Evesham for the John smiths on the Avon, now some of the anglers up there had proper water craft, Dave Harrel, Bob Nudd and my boss at the time Goff Salisbury sitting behind them was an education.

I don't get out as much now unfortunately but I'm glad I learnt how to fish the "hard" way and not on an over populated puddle.

Although I must confess to starting my lad who's only 5 on a puddle last year but he'll be on the river or beach with me this yearthumbs.gif

Can anyone explain to me what the fun is in carp and match anglers going to these over stocked lakes and pulling out tame carp after tame carp?.....or fishing for a 40 that everyone knows has been imported from france?

For the match type anglers, the old timers like Ivan Marks, Kevin Ashurst, Ian Heaps and Dennis White had real angling skill, they were winning matches fishing for truly wild fish.........same with carp fishing, the greats like Rod Hutchinson, Kevin Maddocks and Andy Little were pioneers.

We are so far away from what fishing is all about now days its just untrue.

I agree mate KEEP IT REAL forget these overstocked puddles where the fish are so defficient in everything that they would eat a dog turd.

And fishing for frenchies is fine,,,,,,,,, in FRANCE,, not in the uk.

As carp fishing has become more and more commercial more people have taken up the sport,, they skip all other types of fishing which progresses you into the specimin world and just go and grab set of carp rods and a bivvy and clog up the lakes. I blame magazines and companies ramming the sport down everyones necks plugging the hell out of everything they produce down the way. Big fish quick syndrome has led to the importation of foreign back of the lorry fish, some fisheries know that if they have big fish in there lakes no matter where they come from they will have bivvys around it every day of the year,, and that means money and as we all know money makes the world go around they have no morals or interest in the future of the sport they are after nothing but taking as many brain washed peoples money as possible.

There is very good strains of english carp that grow pretty fast in half decent enviroment,, keep there nice scaleation and live for a very long time,, a far better investment into any lake,, priory fisheries ajs and a few more,, only thing is they aint cheap and wrightly so as they are much more of a long tern investment than any frenchie or simmo of the back of a lorry. Ans thats where the book stops,, to many daytickets waters, clubs and even syndicates looking to take as much as they can out of the sport but put nothing or as little as they can back into it.

• Like 1

it makes me laugh when i see people on these lake that pay their good earned money to sit there for hours and maybe not catch any carp or maybe only 1 or 2,i enjoy fishing for the silver fish as well.it keeps the day frantic and is also great sport,and if you bag a few carp as well i consider it a bonus.i certainly dont fancy paying for a long sit in a bed chair,can do that at home.

Roll on June 15th

Why so you can get ready for the 16th when the season starts?

Yep you got it, sat on the bank waitng for the clock to strike and cast the rod in as I've done many times before I'm not alone either I know plenty that set up on the 15th.

i go on the 14th just to get the peg im after ha ha