Hi,

Anyone recommend the .22hornet for fox, on one of my permissions 200 acres plus, I need something in between my .17HMR and my .22-250, it's quite flat and a little bit built up,Im also taking noise into consideration, I feel my .22-250 is just a bit too much, and of course the .17HMR is not enough.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob, I've had a Ruger Hornet for a few months now and can't find much to fault it. I've read about it not being the best choice but what the feck do folk want it to do, sing and dance? I was a novice before christmas with firearms, accompanying a good friend,(an FAD) out as lamp man and using that experience as mentoring with him, he let me shoot and advised on all I asked. I shot my first fox with the Hornet the other night at 90 yds and it dropped like a sack of shit. It does make a fair crack but I've stuck a T4 mod on the end and it does the business fine, you just get a whoosh and light smack and no recoil to talk about. Like you, I have some land that's around 200-300 acres and find the Hornet ideal for it. I can use the Hornet on these places but not anything bigger, which is the reason I put it on my ticket. I have a closed ticket for a .223 on larger areas of land I shoot on, but I think I need a lot more experience with the Hornet before I think about getting a .223. The power surprised me. It's ok knocking rabbits over with the rimmy from 30-40yds, but the Hornet can double, treble or do even more than that range quite comfortably. I shot that fox with a 45 gr S&B round, again not supposed to be the best choice, but it worked for me and holds zero well. A good choice I'd say fella.

Bob, I've had a Ruger Hornet for a few months now and can't find much to fault it. I've read about it not being the best choice but what the feck do folk want it to do, sing and dance? I was a novice before christmas with firearms, accompanying a good friend,(an FAD) out as lamp man and using that experience as mentoring with him, he let me shoot and advised on all I asked. I shot my first fox with the Hornet the other night at 90 yds and it dropped like a sack of shit. It does make a fair crack but I've stuck a T4 mod on the end and it does the business fine, you just get a whoosh and light smack and no recoil to talk about. Like you, I have some land that's around 200-300 acres and find the Hornet ideal for it. I can use the Hornet on these places but not anything bigger, which is the reason I put it on my ticket. I have a closed ticket for a .223 on larger areas of land I shoot on, but I think I need a lot more experience with the Hornet before I think about getting a .223. The power surprised me. It's ok knocking rabbits over with the rimmy from 30-40yds, but the Hornet can double, treble or do even more than that range quite comfortably. I shot that fox with a 45 gr S&B round, again not supposed to be the best choice, but it worked for me and holds zero well. A good choice I'd say fella.

Cheers Cragman, for the good advice, it would be used mostly whilst lamping and I feel the .22-250 is just too much for this place in the dark, I will be using home loads so can experiment with recipe's.

Thanks again

Bob.

Hi,

Anyone recommend the .22hornet for fox, on one of my permissions 200 acres plus, I need something in between my .17HMR and my .22-250, it's quite flat and a little bit built up,Im also taking noise into consideration, I feel my .22-250 is just a bit too much, and of course the .17HMR is not enough.

The Hornet is OK, but it does have drawbacks, like the ammo is expensive and not available everywhere, also the case is very fragile (if you reload?).

Rifle choice is also a bit thin, not many new ones around.

My choice if I were you would be .223, but I have a 22.250 and used to have a .223, and to be honest there's not a significant difference, save a bit less powder

and small primers, just as loud.

That said you may have trouble getting a ticket for a .223 as you already have a 22.250, well I dont know?

I guess it's .223!

.222 is also a good option. Nice shooting round.

Of course, all rimfire rounds suffer from the supersonic crack, which no moderator can remove. The 22-250 with a good mod is as quiet as any other cf with a good mod.

Hi,

Hi Mate, Had a .22K hornet for about 3 years and IMO an excellent calibre :thumbs:and would great for use with regards to comments in your post.

i reload mine with 40 Gn Sierra blitzking head & 13 Gns Lilgun Powder this combination will drop a fox at 175 yds ( up to 200yds if confident :whistling: ) Easy and cheap to reload, quiet with a good mod, no recoil worth mentioning, 700 to 800 Ft Lbs energy more than enough for fox.. I also use a .223 but looking back and taking into account that average range of foxes shot is under 150Yds, i have accounted for many more fox with the hornet than the .223. So if one ever had to go---Guess which one :icon_eek:

Cheers.

LD