http://www.barfworld.com/ Anyone try this and can offer any info?? Many thanks in advance.

I have not tried this and probably would not.

IMO most of these diets are a money spinning racket for the suppliers.

I read the sales pitch on the website and believe they are stretching the truth a bit.

I think if you take a sensible approach to feeding your dog, you have to think of the whole package.

Exercise them well, keep the amount of food to suit the activity and size of the dog.

Select a reasonably priced dry dog food, (forget the "Royal Canin" and "Hill science" scams)

Mix in any lean scraps from the family table. If you can source any Free meat, take it.

I mix in Sardines, cod liver oil, etc.. now and again, but I think a dog could survive and thrive on kibble alone.

JMO

• Like 1

Money making racket? For years I've been getting my butchers waste for nothing. Loads of chicken backs and wings, beef and lamb bones, all the xmas turkey gibblets which I mince and freeze to spread over the year. Home made veggie soup and I make my own wholemeal bread. One slice per day in the soup. Then the trout, rabbit and hare rounds it off. Haven't had to buy meal in years.

I have maintained my dogs on a natural diet for 40 years would recommend to anyone but you need to do more research than barf web site ,Bolio is correct butchers have to pay to get rid of there waste if veg are fed as well much better than dry dog food canine digestive system works on a 12hour cycle dry dog food can take as long as 36 hours to clear system you been constipated for 24 hours anal glands on dogs need emptying I believe this is caused by dry dog food why would anyone think that a fast food for dogs be better than natural diet you fed your children in mc Donalds every meal why think that a fast food diet for your dog better cause it is easy if you want any help pm me I guarantee you will see difference in 1month would you feed a athlete fast food NO! Only losers

• Like 1

Meat based diet is no comparison to dry feed, although some advocates of complete will argue otherwise. Barf being the modern fancy term, it's been going on for years. Dry feed is just over cooked convenience fast food, fact.

Edited by Sadie

Money making racket? For years I've been getting my butchers waste for nothing. Loads of chicken backs and wings, beef and lamb bones, all the xmas turkey gibblets which I mince and freeze to spread over the year. Home made veggie soup and I make my own wholemeal bread. One slice per day in the soup. Then the trout, rabbit and hare rounds it off. Haven't had to buy meal in years.

As i said on my post;

"If you can source any Free meat, take it."

I think that the discussion of the "relative benefits" between BARF and dry food is necessary.

But in my opinion the claims that one is better than the other will go on and on.

As long as people have opinions we will argue over something.

The standard answer comparing dry food to fast food is not really going to help this discussion. (I know BOLIO1 you did not say this)

Compare the ingredients of one relative to the other and we have a start.

My thoughts on this are not limited to the ingredients alone.

I think that exercise is more important to the balance of health than the difference one diet has over another.

The amount of time that is spent in making your own vegetable soup and wholemeal bread is fantastic.

Perhaps you put us dry food people to shame with your effort.

I take my time spent with my dogs and divide it up so that the majority is spent exercising them.

This is not because I am lazy, if I had more time it would be spent on more exercise.

My post was directed at the original question with an attached website.

Having read the website (I had researched BARF before this) I think "Grafter-Man" would be better off keeping away from these people.

JMO

And you think that last post did help p3d & was not a waste of grafter mans thread half a page saying nothing If you think 20 minutes more exercise is better than a diet fit for a athlete that is up to you if you got something to say about what others post say it .If you tell me what kibble you feed I will happily have a discussion (this is what adults do when they do not agree)on it merits & the cheap products that they put in it in order to bulk it out (to scam you ) also the advertising points that they say imakes it better I would suggest you! Keep well clear of people like these I like Sadie am entitled to our opinion .We did not presume to tell him to exercise his dog I did say to look at other natural diets as did Sadie I am sorry if my post offended you but I made no reference to what you wrote or any remarks to it's worth you are entitled to your opinion & you are in the majority in what you choose to feed.I have fostered children for 24 years if you asked me what makes the biggest difference to the children in care quality of food I would put at the very top it will change them quicker than any therapy that is a fact I am sorry grafter but felt like we were getting put down without any constructive criticism

And you think that last post did help p3d & was not a waste of grafter mans thread half a page saying nothing If you think 20 minutes more exercise is better than a diet fit for a athlete that is up to you if you got something to say about what others post say it .If you tell me what kibble you feed I will happily have a discussion (this is what adults do when they do not agree)on it merits & the cheap products that they put in it in order to bulk it out (to scam you ) also the advertising points that they say imakes it better I would suggest you! Keep well clear of people like these I like Sadie am entitled to our opinion .We did not presume to tell him to exercise his dog I did say to look at other natural diets as did Sadie I am sorry if my post offended you but I made no reference to what you wrote or any remarks to it's worth you are entitled to your opinion & you are in the majority in what you choose to feed.I have fostered children for 24 years if you asked me what makes the biggest difference to the children in care quality of food I would put at the very top it will change them quicker than any therapy that is a fact I am sorry grafter but felt like we were getting put down without any constructive criticism

The dry food I use is "Bestformydog, premium agility" and like I said in my post I will mix and match. Raw fresh meat if I can get it.

Your post did not offend me, I did not think Sadie or your post was directed at me.

I thought both your posts were directed at the guy who started the thread?

I came onto this topic from the Terrier forum.

It has been moved to the health forum now.

I have read through another thread here, to get a feel for what the debate on BARF was like in this forum.

The way that the thread on BARF seem to collapse into personal attacks is scary. i.e.

"half a page saying nothing"

"(this is what adults do when they do not agree)"

'but felt like we were getting put down"

I have no problem with whatever you want to feed your dog. Its a free world.

But lay off the personal stuff, This is not a life or death situation.

They are dogs. Great dogs ..Yes , but they are dogs.

ATB :thumbs:

Regarding the time required to make bread and broth p3d, it's not so bad as it sounds. I stick a pack each of barley, lentils and split green peas in a big pot with finely chopped carrots and two jumbo chicken legs. The bones are later removed. I boil this for about an hour and add the chopped greens and two chicken stock cubes when the heat is turned off and leave to cool overnight before packing and freezing in small containers. While the soup is under way it takes all of five minutes to put the ingredients for the loaf in the bread maker and flick a switch. You didn't think I did all the hard work myself surely, lol.

Regarding the time required to make bread and broth p3d, it's not so bad as it sounds. I stick a pack each of barley, lentils and split green peas in a big pot with finely chopped carrots and two jumbo chicken legs. The bones are later removed. I boil this for about an hour and add the chopped greens and two chicken stock cubes when the heat is turned off and leave to cool overnight before packing and freezing in small containers. While the soup is under way it takes all of five minutes to put the ingredients for the loaf in the bread maker and flick a switch. You didn't think I did all the hard work myself surely, lol.

You make it sound easy!

I was getting hungry just reading that. :laugh:

I am lucky enough to have a mother in law that is a great cook.

Every week she makes an Irish stew, there is a surplus bowl left and I pour this onto the dogs meal.(including the spuds)

You should see the dogs lap it up.

Everyone to their own method.

As long as your dogs are healthy and working to your satisfaction, you can't being doing anything too wrong. :toast:

I like the idea of "everything in moderation"

ATB

P3D

• Like 1