US Hares

Doesn't seem like nearly as much fun as it could be, using beagles and guns, but I guess your average coursing dog would either freeze to death or smash into a tree :laugh: I've seen a fair few posts up asking about hare hunting in the US and thought it would be of interest

http://harehunter.tripod.com/id2.html

a fen hare would run rings round an american hare :whistling:

How do ye know that have ye coursed hares in america ?? and the post is refering to hunting them with beagles not coursing dogs is a fen hare better at getting away from beagles than other hares as well ??

• Like 1

Pete is the real deal. He knows as much about hounds as just about any man I've ever spoke to. He's the kinda guy that when you talk to him, you just know that he knows. Not like all the wannabees at all.

Edited to say that them are snowshoe hare. Not anything like a jackrabbit at all.

Pete is the real deal. He knows as much about hounds as just about any man I've ever spoke to. He's the kinda guy that when you talk to him, you just know that he knows. Not like all the wannabees at all.

Edited to say that them are snowshoe hare. Not anything like a jackrabbit at all.

What's the differences between the two hares then, Dan?

I cant really tell you much cuz I'm no expert I just know a bit about jackrabbits but aint even really been around them since I was a young boy. I remember watchin the greyhounds run them though back in Oklahoma and them sumbitches can scoot. The snowshoe hare are more of a timber dwelling type critter and dont live out in the wide wide open so they dont have to have the same tools to stay alive.

I guess what I'm tryin to say is that this is a big place and our hares, fox, coyotes, deer, cat, lion, hogs, and bear are all different depending on where you live. If uphilldoc trees a 300 pound bear in Idaho thats a monster. If the same size bear is treed in Easter North Carolina they think its half grown, literally half grown. If them boys over on the east coast had a bear that ran like the ones in Idaho they'd think they was running a trash race. Our white tail deer here in Illinois are monsters but you got up north and out west and they are the size of your fallow deer for the most part. Their mule deer are huge though and we dont even have mule deer. Down in Texas the white tail have racks on them every bit as big as our in Illinois but their bodies are half the size. Like I said, big place.

• Like 1

Maybe stuntcunty will come on here and tell about how his eyes got opened wide when he went west a bit and tried to run them big ass white tail jack rabbits in the Dakotas. He said it was brutal and them jacks would just walk away from the fastest of the fast dogs. No need to jink or anything, just run straight away and say good bye. If you went out to uphilldoc's and ran them though they are much smaller and much snappier actin and will cut and dive and turn and use the sage to get away. Still fast but totally different. Can you imagine the difference too when you go down to New Mexico and its 110 degrees in the shade. The heat tolerance of the jack rabbits would be off the chart.

I guess what I'm tryin to say is that this is a big place and our hares, fox, coyotes, deer, cat, lion, hogs, and bear are all different depending on where you live. If uphilldoc trees a 300 pound bear in Idaho thats a monster. If the same size bear is treed in Easter North Carolina they think its half grown, literally half grown. If them boys over on the east coast had a bear that ran like the ones in Idaho they'd think they was running a trash race. Our white tail deer here in Illinois are monsters but you got up north and out west and they are the size of your fallow deer for the most part. Their mule deer are huge though and we dont even have mule deer. Down in Texas the white tail have racks on them every bit as big as our in Illinois but their bodies are half the size. Like I said, big place.

Great post enjoyed reading that cheers :thumbs:

How do ye know that have ye coursed hares in america ?? and the post is refering to hunting them with beagles not coursing dogs is a fen hare better at getting away from beagles than other hares as well ??

it was a joke mate not to e taking seriously :thumbs:

it was a joke mate not to e taking seriously :thumbs:

:laugh:

I wonder how they beagles would do with collie feet? :hmm: