Lucas terriers.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

t. coulson worked a little bitch for some time when he was terrier man for the braes of derwent. she was a decent little bitch.

I met him at Brian Pummers once. He was through with his son. He seemed like a really genuine guy. I think his son had a bull greyhond lurcher. His son seemed like a good guy too.

t. coulson worked a little bitch for some time when he was terrier man for the braes of derwent. she was a decent little bitch.

I met him at Brian Pummers once. He was through with his son. He seemed like a really genuine guy. I think his son had a bull greyhond lurcher. His son seemed like a good guy too.

yes he is a nice plesant man

Yes i know Tommy well and his bitch was a good little worker, and it was as a result of seeing his at work that i decided to opt for that breed. Tommy himself is a lovely, quiet unassuming man, a credit to fieldsports.

Guest Eamon.Mc
Provided they come out, as i haven't posted pics before, i thought you might like to see a picture of one of my Sporting Lucas Terrier bitches with a couple of young fox cubs

Why have you got fox cubs?????????? :blink:

Yes i know Tommy well and his bitch was a good little worker, and it was as a result of seeing his at work that i decided to opt for that breed. Tommy himself is a lovely, quiet unassuming man, a credit to fieldsports.

Are your Lucas's from the Raggengill Line?

Provided they come out, as i haven't posted pics before, i thought you might like to see a picture of one of my Sporting Lucas Terrier bitches with a couple of young fox cubs

Why have you got fox cubs?????????? :blink:

Dug a vixen last April for a gamekeeper, despatched her and found 2 tiny cubs probably 4 days old didn't have the heart to despatch them so brought them home, as i live on a large country estate, missus reared them, they now live totally wild making a grand job of keeping the Rabbits down, haven't seen the dog cub since last November, but the vixen appears regularly and joins in for a walk with the Bassets, the same ones we flush foxes with every weekend, and i have over two hours of video recording to back up what i'm saying.

And yes Minion mine are the Raggengill line but as i said i don't keep terriers now as we have our own terrierman who does our work for us

Be carefull,if you post anything positive on here about Plummer, it seems to provoke a lot of reaction !

I met him a number of times and spoke to him many,many more. His knowledge of dog breeding, training and genetics i found second to none. And although Ratting, bushing Rabbits and even pulling sledges with white German Shepherds were never branches of dog work that particularly interest me, I was always impressed by his knowledge and enthusiasm.

I find it a shame that he is disregarded by so many of the 'My dogs harder than yours, and so's my Dad' gang that the working dog scene seems to attract.

... I've probably made a great big stick to be hit with here, but like I said, my avenue of working dogs was'nt the same as his, but I can still see the stuff he did for years is still a league above some of the 'Back-yard-breeders' that refuse to acknowledge that dos'nt need laying up for a month after each dig.

( still havent worked out the photos yet, but i've got the weekend to work on it !!)

Nice to see someone posting a positive piece on Brian ''JRB'', i wonder if i might of met "MINION" at Brian's we got a litter sister from that mateing "Raggengill Treacle", she was broken to ferret's would work rat's and rabbit's better than than my black lakey's, and if i was to be honest she was more sensible on fox as she had a reverse gear and could be used every day of the week if needed, unfortunatley we lost her when she dug herself into trouble and suffocated before we got down to her :( Were the 3 bitch's Willow, Samantha and Apple?

:( Good to hear that some people are wrking these dogs under ground the main problem i have is that my first dog is to big and he never took to fox, he will hunt rabbit and rat all day but show him a fox an he turns and heads for the hills. i never entered him early i gave him time but he just never came. :(

Bassethund,

pleasing to see that you cared for the fox cubs, or your missus did. That's real humanity, and you should be proud of it. For all their depredations, I don't think there's a more beautiful animal than a fox, and all dog lovers must admire them as a species, even as they hunt them.

this is polo

...... damn, thought id cracked the photo thing !!

Jason

Polo is on the Lucas Terrier Club website at www.lucasterrier.co.uk/polo.htm so no need to fight with uploading photos. His descendents through Mark's line - when he bred the Sealyham Lulu to Polo - are still working in the Essex area in a small pack. Mark currently has an outcrossed Lucas bitch, Tink, as his line had become too interbred, that he has mated to Polo's grandson and I am sure some of these will go to working homes too.

Lucas terriers have no Plummer/Raggengill lines in them as all these dogs were de-registered by the Club in 1999. The Lucas is Norfolk/Sealyham and nothing else.

As already said, there is Max, and also the young bitch his owner has, who is working and one or two others dotted around the country. The truth of the matter is that most do go to pet homes and this was a source of revenue that Sir Jocelyn Lucas was not averse to!

I've tried to add a photo of Polo but don't know if I will have any success either.

Cheers

Jazz

this is polo

...... damn, thought id cracked the photo thing !!

Jason

Polo is on the Lucas Terrier Club website at www.lucasterrier.co.uk/polo.htm so no need to fight with uploading photos. His descendents through Mark's line - when he bred the Sealyham Lulu to Polo - are still working in the Essex area in a small pack. Mark currently has an outcrossed Lucas bitch, Tink, as his line had become too interbred, that he has mated to Polo's grandson and I am sure some of these will go to working homes too.

Lucas terriers have no Plummer/Raggengill lines in them as all these dogs were de-registered by the Club in 1999. The Lucas is Norfolk/Sealyham and nothing else.

As already said, there is Max, and also the young bitch his owner has, who is working and one or two others dotted around the country. The truth of the matter is that most do go to pet homes and this was a source of revenue that Sir Jocelyn Lucas was not averse to!

I've tried to add a photo of Polo but don't know if I will have any success either.

Cheers

Jazz

Yea I remember getting a letter from the Lucus terrier club telling me that they had discovered the introduction of plummer blood and that my dog was no longer considered a Lucus, but is now a sporting lucus.

It didn't effect me one way or another to be honest.

Nice to see someone posting a positive piece on Brian ''JRB'', i wonder if i might of met "MINION" at Brian's we got a litter sister from that mateing "Raggengill Treacle", she was broken to ferret's would work rat's and rabbit's better than than my black lakey's, and if i was to be honest she was more sensible on fox as she had a reverse gear and could be used every day of the week if needed, unfortunatley we lost her when she dug herself into trouble and suffocated before we got down to her :( Were the 3 bitch's Willow, Samantha and Apple?

Hi Bud,

It would have depended when you were there. I met him in 1997 and spent alot of time at the kennels until he died. I stayed with him and his wife for about a month in 1998 helping inthe kennels and that's when I spent alot of time working the Lucus terriers. I wasn't working at the time and it was a good chance to learn. I was only 18 in 1998.

It was defenatly Mr Pie and Willow, but I can't remember the other one. I have loads of photos but can't seem to find them. When I do i will put the pics up. I'm sure I wrote the names on the back of the pics.

To be honest, I didn't really mention I knew him in the past because I got loads of stick from other sites a few years back. At the end of the day I really liked him and that's upto me. He showed me, and later my wife, great generousity and I have many fond memories from Raggengill. However, I am my own person and have my own thoughts and opionions. I wouldn't expect anyone to judge or treat me differant because I know Brian well. That wouldn't be very fair would it?