need help training russell x dog

Hey guys im new to the hunting scene and havin a few probs , ive got a 13 month old russell x dog which im having a hard time with i only want to use him for rabbiting and ratting , i take him bushing quite often and he does bolt sum but to be honest i think its luck because if i have spotted a rabbit going to cover ill try n get him to follow but he jus goes in bout a metre n cums back out then other times hes in 8ft brambles going nuts n i havent even given him a comand , my next problem is he doest yap or anything [bANNED TEXT] he's on to summit this is really confusing as he goes crazy [bANNED TEXT] in his run n he see's a cat or another dog any advice on this wud be very helpfull, lastly he hasnt had his fist kill yet n i was considering catching a rat in a live catch trap n chucking them in shed is this ok to do i dnt want to put him off if the rat gives him a nip or 2 any suggestions wud be great

Loads of top advice :thumbs: dogs yap when they are frustrated so as Moll said, get him fired up and make him want to chase stuff. Also, it sounds like he hasn't seen the end product (the fun, floppy furry thing that we call a dead rabbit) make it fun because this should be a reward for hunting well too. Show him a dead rabbit/rabbit skin or anything that resembles a rabbit and play with him with it (he also needs to know the smell of the rabbit so that he can track them in hedges so a dead rabbit or fresh rabbit skin would be best).

Lastly, if you caught a rat in a live catch trap, it would be a good idea to let him have a sniff......again, get him fired up and try to encourage barkin or whining (this should help to bring out yapping when he is chasing rabbits too). Letting a live rat out to a dog after he was doing the right thing (barking) did work when it was legal :whistling: ...... like I said, end product.

Hope this advice and the rest works mate.

Good luck :thumbs:

Sam

My terrier was from domestic stock as he was initially a pet but then I got into hunting, I took him ferreting and let him have a bunny and just kept throwing it in the bushes making a noise which sounds a little like "cus cus cus" and he'd bring it out and soon enough I took him to a spot where there is cover and he seen them run into bushes and was straight in he 12 months old and had his first kill about 2 weeks ago while walking my dogs well happy with him! But like matey said get him thinking he's going hunting as soon as I do my noise they no it's on and off he goes I'm not a pro but hope this helps :)

glad it's not just me. i have an 18 month old JR cross and he goes into cover about 10/15 ft turns and comes out even when i've seen a rabbit pop thru.when he is on one he yaps well . drives me nuts but he has had one kill so far so I guess i just need some patience. great advice, any more ideas , cheers

releasing a rat to a dog might be illegal? but its a very good way of bringing a pup on, :thumbs: i dug to a rat with my bitch at 5months old, she didnt kno what to do at first, but when she got nipped! her natural intinct kicked in and went bezerk! as for yapping, my bitch yaps too, which is good as she works along side my whippx, i havent trained her to do this, some dogs do? some dont?

get her on rats ASAP mate.

Edited by pipa

IMO The dogs that go into a bush and come back out again need to know what they are going in to the bush for in the first place. They may chase a rabbit in a field but do they know the smell of a rabbit? If the dog is in a bush but doesn't know what a rabbit smells like and can't see a rabbit then what is the point in being in the bush? Whereas if they are in a bush and can't see any rabbits but do know the smell of a rabbit and they can smell the rabbit in the bush then they're going to go and find it.

Just go right back to basics :thumbs: Think of it like this, your a man, you like women because you think they're fun :thumbs: you chase women because it's fun. We all know that women wear perfume so if we walk into a pub and your on the prowl but it's full of men and you can smell perfume (either there's a man that you need to watch your bum with - besides the point) OR there is a woman in the room so you go find her. :toast:

....That was intended in a far less pervy way than it came out but they both run along the same lines :yes:

:victory:

Sam

• Like 1