Cur pups

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was a cur at some point what pitbull enthuiasts referred to as dog with no gameness did some of them refer to am sraffs as cur dogs , Im not judging just asking a question

Idont mean to be rude but your starting to sound stupid best to let it go mate,

Alright mate, whats in a cur? Or are they line bred? If that makes sense?

i think it's just an old old english word for a working dog with no specific breeding, ie a mongrel.

I think the yanks still use the word whereas we forgot about it years ago. it used to be an insult to call someone a cur.

Edited by Tomm Parr

i think it's just an old old english word for a working dog with no specific breeding, ie a mongrel.

I think the yanks still use the word whereas we forgot about it years ago. it used to be an insult to call someone a cur.

Yes, i know that. :thumbs:

But in the states i think they use it to refer to fairly specific dogs, of mixed breeding, rather than any old mongrel. And i THINK that they will roughly breed true to type, whereas most proper 'mongrels' will throw a lot of litter variation.

Just to add to your collection a 'cur dog' is also hunting terminology for any non-hound.

Yes, i know that. :thumbs:

But in the states i think they use it to refer to fairly specific dogs, of mixed breeding, rather than any old mongrel. And i THINK that they will roughly breed true to type, whereas most proper 'mongrels' will throw a lot of litter variation.

Just to add to your collection a 'cur dog' is also hunting terminology for any non-hound.

WWell i don't know what you mean by my 'collection' but I think that between us, we've nailed it.... :whistling: perhaps.....

Well, until the yank posts again and makes us look like a pair of mugs. :doh::thumbs::

Edited by Tomm Parr

Meant your collection of 'Cur' meanings.

Aye, he'll be a long at some point (or dan) to fill us in. :thumbs:

From what i know curs are a mixed hound/terrier type dog, and there are maybe different 'types' of cur, but the idea (and i think if you look at the pups it looks that way) is that they breed true to that type, cur x cur.

Guys your pretty much point on, the term "cur" comes from the English term curtailed. You got taxed on any dog with a tail from what I understand. Curs are bred two ways here imo. Seriously and what ever. Some follow papers and peds while a hog hunter might just breeds to a friends "good" dog. Lines/strains are kemmers, mountain, stephens and a few others. Alot of hound/curs cross dogs are bred then put back in the respective line like anything else then papered...You know how it goes, so its a safe bet just get one from someone who is puttin the meat up. :thumbs: feck the papers. Dan could give allot of insight as the bitch I got from him but he's a miserble b*****d and a downer to talk to as he seen the shit side of the cur biz. :tongue2:

Cheers for that mate, interesting info, i'd love to see them work. Do different 'types' of cur have different working styles or applications (i.e different quarry, land etc).

Guys your pretty much point on, the term "cur" comes from the English term curtailed. You got taxed on any dog with a tail from what I understand. Curs are bred two ways here imo. Seriously and what ever. Some follow papers and peds while a hog hunter might just breeds to a friends "good" dog. Lines/strains are kemmers, mountain, stephens and a few others. Alot of hound/curs cross dogs are bred then put back in the respective line like anything else then papered...You know how it goes, so its a safe bet just get one from someone who is puttin the meat up. :thumbs: feck the papers. Dan could give allot of insight as the bitch I got from him but he's a miserble b*****d and a downer to talk to as he seen the shit side of the cur biz. :tongue2:

Was a cur at some point what pitbull enthuiasts referred to as dog with no gameness did some of them refer to am sraffs as cur dogs , Im not judging just asking a question

• Like 1

liam-Thats correct...a non game bulldog is called a cur. Bulldog men also call any non bulldog a cur, regardless of breeding. I have always believed the term was carried over to many of these type dogs. Many bulldogs, and bulldogx were/are used as "meat dogs" all over the country, and even many of todays "linebred/papered" curs show a strong bulldog influence, IMO.

Take care.