COMPULSORY MICROCHIPPING - A WARNING

If you want people to write in it helps to provide a template letter that people can copy and paste either into a letter or email. Most people cant spare the time to sit and write, lots have lost the will to be bothered but a click and sign might persuade a few to take the trouble. Just a thought.

Hi Sallie

Once the Government have announced the full extent of their proposals and its known exactly what we may all have to contend with, it was my intention to do just that, along with a list of adresses and email addresses for any correspondence to be sent.

But thank you for making the point, it's a very valid one :thumbs:.

Kindest Regards - Barrie

Why would anyone feel it is a good idea to microchip dogs?.......What is the end goal?...How can it be that enough people would support this mad adventure?....Of course the cost would be borne by dog owners and another layer of government is born....Sad!

well if someone stole your dog, and 2 months later you see someone with it. they say that your not having it back because they bought it in good faith. possesion is 9/10 of the law. so in the eyes of the law where do you stand? this removes all this messing about. and i also know someone that lost a dog (a terrier in fact) that was chipped.less than hour after it escaping it had been picked up by a quick thinking member of the public, taken to a vets and scanned. the owner was contacted straight away, dog and owner reunited in no time. :thumbs:

mine are chipped :thumbs::thumbs:

Guest busterdog

When I did the course they said its fine to chip your own pups My vet said the same :thumbs:

Don when she took the course she was told in no unsertain way that the vet must chip a pup at the time of docking as it goes hand in hand with it, hope your right as it would save the lads a fortune.

When I did the course they said its fine to chip your own pups My vet said the same :thumbs:

Don when she took the course she was told in no unsertain way that the vet must chip a pup at the time of docking as it goes hand in hand with it, hope your right as it would save the lads a fortune.

Buster

In terms microchipping docked dogs for the purpose of identification then you're 100% correct, it does have to be performed either by a vet, or by a nurse acting under his supervision (see extract from the official DEFRA form below).

In terms of the wider compulsory microchipping we'll have to wait to see what the proposals say. But I know which I'd put my money on.

Where some vets do get it wrong is that they misread the form and think they have to chip the dog on the same day as they dock, whereas the actual legal requirement is that the docked dog is chipped before reaching 12 weeks of age and this can be done by any other vet (or nurse under supervision).

Kindest Regards - Barrie

Extract from the DEFRA docking certificate which vets must use....

To be completed by the veterinary surgeon signing below on the day on which microchipping of the dog takes place-

2. I ........................................:.............. [iNSERT NAME] confirm that on ....................................... [iNSERT DATE] either I have, or a veterinary nurse acting under my supervision has, inserted a microchip into a dog:

whose tail I have docked on the same day.*

that the owner or a person whom I believe to be representing the owner has presented to me as the dog whose tail was docked on ................................... [iNSERT DATE] by the veterinary surgeon who signed the certificate in paragraph 1 above.*

(*delete whichever is inapplicable}

The microchip reading is .................................................[iNSERT MICROCHIP READING].

Signature of Veterinary Surgeon: ..............................................................................................

Name: ........................................................................................................................................

Address of Veterinary Surgeon's Practice: ................................................................................

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

Edited by Barrie

UK census information and mid-year population estimates of the number of households and the average household size in 2006 in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland were used to estimate that UK households owned approximately 10.3 million cats and 10.5 million dogs in 2006.

x £60 thats £630,000,000 in dogs being chipped that they will make.

Concidering they are going to have to chip 10.5 million dogs i think my dogs will probably die of old age before they even get around to bothering me lol

Say what you will, it's all about money to the government AND the vets!....Just like paying for tail docking!....One snip of a scissors at near birth and it's done....Vet's are making money on something that a child can do.

• Like 2

Ive come home to empty kennels,the terrier wasnt micro chipped nor seen again :censored:

since that day, all mine will be chipped.

a friend had his kennels emptied, 6 years later, a phone call from a veterinary surgery he was reunited with one of his spaniels but had to be PTS because the theifs had taken such good care of it! :censored:

Say what you will, it's all about money to the government AND the vets!....Just like paying for tail docking!....One snip of a scissors at near birth and it's done....Vet's are making money on something that a child can do.

argeed!!!

Barrie not 100% correct ..They can be chipped by a Qualified Chipper..Thats the purpose of the courses..Agree Vets should not even consider chipping a pup at time of docking far too young and as you rightly stated they can be chipped by any vet nurse or (registered ) chipper before 12 weeks.. :thumbs:

I cant find a great deal of updated information about '' compulsory microchipping '' other than a few daily rag articles like this one.. It would seem they want to introduce microchipping to any new dogs you buy or take on.. I cant find any reference to existing dogs in your care having to be chipped

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/04/25/microchip-plan-to-tackle-dangerous-dogs-115875-23084962/

According to this piece in the mirror the police & the RSPCA will have access to the data on the chipping data base .. which i find very worrying .. especially as the last reading in the Lords of this bill claimed the RSPCA WONT be the body who deals with & issues '' dog control'' notices it will be left to the local autoritys

So why do body's like the police & the RSPCA need access to the national data base :blink:

Edited to add the readings in the commons that took place in march this year .

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201011/ldhansrd/text/110304-0001.htm#11030452000495

Barrie not 100% correct ..They can be chipped by a Qualified Chipper..Thats the purpose of the courses..Agree Vets should not even consider chipping a pup at time of docking far too young and as you rightly stated they can be chipped by any vet nurse or (registered ) chipper before 12 weeks.. :thumbs:

Veterinary nurses can chip dogs without the supervision of a vet.So i am lead to believe.

No offence, but unfortunately there are specific differences between microchipping in the wider sense, as opposed to microchipping carried out to identify those dogs legally docked under the working dog exemption permitted by the Animal Welfare Act 2006 and its only to the latter I was referring.

Part 2 of the docking certificate (the part which is completed when the microchip is inserted) is quite specific in stating that it must be completed by a veterinary surgeon on the day on which microchipping of the dog takes place, it goes on further to state that the microchip must be inserted by a vet, or a veterinary nurse acting under their supervision and that the vet must sign part 2 of the certificate to confirm what has taken place. There is no provision to delegate that authority to any other third party.

Im not saying I agree with it, simply thats what is required :thumbs:.

Kindest Regards - Barrie

Edited by Barrie