how long do you leave your dogs for?

The way im looking at it is - if i already lived on my own and was out the house 11 hours each day I wouldnt even consider getting a dog. but i already have the dog and it'd be going from being on its own for maybe 5 hours a day with the company of 2 other dogs to being totally alone for an extra 6 hours. im not trying to baby it im just trying to work out something sensible. Id quite happily build a nice big kennel and run but i dont think my budget will stretch to a garden big enough. when i got this dog i made a commitment to look after its best interests until it dies so im not going to get shot of it because my circumstances have changed so im guessing im stuck at home for a little while longer which id much rather that than get rid of my mutt!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please dont be offended but we have all seen from your previous posts that you dont have a f*****g clue so in this instance I dont think your opinion really matters.

As long as they have food and water, leave them for as long as you need to (with in reason)....fannying around dogs leads to needy, nurotic animals. If more folk treated dogs like dogs and didnt try

f*****g spot on........my dogs get fed when i'm ready not them, they get walked when i'm ready not when there ready. Pussy foot around them and you'll end up with shite. I've had this argument befor

I dont think there are any egos at work here, the simple fact is that this lad may have to make some important choices and he should hear some different points of view that are bullshit free.

Aye mate, i just meant your semi-drivel about making dogs nuerotic wrecks by over pampering.

And while i sort of agree.

I'm not sure how much relevance it has.

Just think 11 hrs a day 5 days a week cooped up on your own inside is gonna do the dogs head in more than too many walks etc.

Your opinion /my opinion matey.....its drivel to you, fair enough......I know what I see, but hey, I am nobody, everyone is free to crack on however they wish :thumbs:

The relevant bit, as I see it, is this......he is being told that he has to totally fit his life around the dog when IMHO you dont need and should not have to do that at all........

Aye, i agree with the idea that a dog should fit in with you. But also a dog is a commitment. It's your job to sort something suitable. I.e in this lads case he is staying where he is until he can get a place with a kennel. For the record i am not talking about separation anxiety or any of that bollocks, or over pampering a dog, i can leave mine in the kennel or house fine. But if i did so for 11 hrs each day in the house, i'd soon be scraping up dog shit from places i'd rather not, and i generally reckon they would go a bit mental out of the boredom. No one told the kid he had to totally fit his life around the dog at any point.

I think finding dog shit everywhere depends what your feeding .. a raw diet will almost certainly lessen that problem if not eliminate it .. over a processed diet where again depending what type you feed :thumbs:

Fair point, but would you leave your two in the house consistently for 11 hrs a day 5 days a week? And feel it was fair on the mutts.

Consistently yes .. isnt that what dogs thrive on consistent feed times.. walks.. exercise & ongoing training.. its folks who start something & DONT keep with it that usually have issues with behavioural problems :thumbs:

• Like 1

Most folk who work 40 hours are going to be out of the house 10 or 11 hours each day, so do they all change to part time work or do they go on the jam roll or what?

If I travel to Scotland which takes me 10 hours, there wont be dog shit all over the car if I do it non-stop, the dog will just lay down and go to sleep the whole way if I didnt make a piss stop for it.

It wont be crying, or going up the wall..........it wont get out of the car and try and attack stuff or have a mental breakdown.....it just does it.

Its my opinion, not saying its right but its mine, that a nicely chilled out dog will take nearly every situation in its stride with no major issues.

People, places, guns, fireworks, other dogs, in kennel, out of kennel, alone, in company.....the dog should just be comfortable in its own skin and from what I have seen people who fuss and fart and treat there dogs like kids dont often get this kind of dog.

So long as the dog is not kenneled each day for very long periods of time, then there shouldn't be a problem.

A dog kenneled all day and everyday for very long periods of time, is a reciepe for disaster for the dogs mind and health.

Yes, sometimes a persons circumstances may change. Do you adapt your ways for the dogs needs?

There are some dreadful dog owners out there. Shocking really.

I dont think there are any egos at work here, the simple fact is that this lad may have to make some important choices and he should hear some different points of view that are bullshit free.

Aye mate, i just meant your semi-drivel about making dogs nuerotic wrecks by over pampering.

Just think 11 hrs a day 5 days a week cooped up on your own inside is gonna do the dogs head in more than too many walks etc.

Your opinion /my opinion matey.....its drivel to you, fair enough......I know what I see, but hey, I am nobody, everyone is free to crack on however they wish :thumbs:

The relevant bit, as I see it, is this......he is being told that he has to totally fit his life around the dog when IMHO you dont need and should not have to do that at all........

Aye, i agree with the idea that a dog should fit in with you. But also a dog is a commitment. It's your job to sort something suitable. I.e in this lads case he is staying where he is until he can get a place with a kennel. For the record i am not talking about separation anxiety or any of that bollocks, or over pampering a dog, i can leave mine in the kennel or house fine. But if i did so for 11 hrs each day in the house, i'd soon be scraping up dog shit from places i'd rather not, and i generally reckon they would go a bit mental out of the boredom. No one told the kid he had to totally fit his life around the dog at any point.

I think finding dog shit everywhere depends what your feeding .. a raw diet will almost certainly lessen that problem if not eliminate it .. over a processed diet where again depending what type you feed :thumbs:

Fair point, but would you leave your two in the house consistently for 11 hrs a day 5 days a week? And feel it was fair on the mutts.

Well mate the fact of the matter is if i had my kennels full of dogs and my work circumstances changed so that the dogs would be left alot longer i wouldn't feel the need to get rid of them.... :no:

But if i had a job where i was away for long periods of the day then i would think again about getting a dog. I think Aaron has done the perfect thing in taking his time and planning his commitments to work over dogs.

I myself would love a running dog but as i dont have the time then i wont be getting one in the near future.....further down the line, you bet ya!!.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Both very good points. I guess your right. For me it's like aaron said, i wouldn't even entertain getting a dog if i lived a lone and i was going to be at work that much and the dog doing f**k all. 11 hrs a day work in the week, plus sleep, plus any other life you have and any time you need to go away without the dog. Just doesn't seem much point for the dog in existing, it's just cos the person fancies one. Maybe i'm wrong, but like you said, it's a pack, i'm boss, the dogs are lesser pack members, but in order to operate as an efficient pack, we need to be around each other a fair bit consistently. For me it's not babying (although one is asleep on the sofa next to me after a long walk), it's just having dogs. Each to their own tho. :thumbs:

Well mate the fact of the matter is if i had my kennels full of dogs and my work circumstances changed so that the dogs would be left alot longer i wouldn't feel the need to get rid of them.... :no:

But if i had a job where i was away for long periods of the day then i would think again about getting a dog. I think Aaron has done the perfect thing in taking his time and planning his commitments to work over dogs.

I myself would love a running dog but as i dont have the time then i wont be getting one in the near future.....further down the line, you bet ya!!.. :thumbs:

Aye mate, i guess that's the thing, if your really into the dog, you don't really create the situation, but if it happens you put up with it until you can sort something better. But long term, to just have dogs sat in house solo (rather than in kennels with other mutts) for way more time that they will ever be worked or their company enjoyed, is just a wee bit pointless maybe.

So long as the dog is not kenneled each day for very long periods of time, then there shouldn't be a problem.

A dog kenneled all day and everyday for very long periods of time, is a reciepe for disaster for the dogs mind and health.

Yes, sometimes a persons circumstances may change. Do you adapt your ways for the dogs needs?

There are some dreadful dog owners out there. Shocking really.

Whats wrong with them being in a kennel for a long period compared to a house? Peopple have some stupid ideas that a house is a better place for a dog to be left, why is it better do they watch telly or pop on the laptop to check THL. In a kennel or a house a dog for 90% of the time sleeps.

All a dog needs is a warm draught free and safe place to retire and relax to inbetween periods of exercise/training or working, he doesn't care if its in kennel or house.

It's amazing when people say he will be bored on his own, as long as there are excerised and mentally stimulated regulary i.e through work and fed well you will have a happy dog even if they have to spend a long period in the kennel.

4 choices , take the dog to work with you,

get a home near your mums so she can either have the dog for you during the day or nip around and take it out for an hour in the day.

get a dog walker or a mate to take the dog out in the day

get a new bird to move in who only works part time to pay for herself and she can look after your dog when you are not there

cheers

and good luck you sound like your going to do the right thing for you and the dog

i was thinking more along the lines of him throwing himself up the walls with boredom and needing the toilet rather than lack of exercise. as you said he'd still be getting the same amount of exercise as he does now.

In my opinion, 11 hrs is far to long to be leaving a dog on its own, but only YOU know your dogs temperament, will it be throwing itself up the wall with boredom, , well will it, its ok folks saying it will sleep for 90% of the time, but each dog is different, i have 3 dogs 1 will kip all day if i let her, another 1 needs lots of mental stimulation, no way would she cope with 11 hrs on her own, good luck in whatever you decide

As long as they have food and water, leave them for as long as you need to (with in reason)....fannying around dogs leads to needy, nurotic animals.

If more folk treated dogs like dogs and didnt try to humanise them so much you would have a lot more happy animals in the world.

All this must walk at 6 and feed at 8 and wipe its arse every second thursday of the month will have the animal climbing the walls when you cant make the "date" sometime.

Let a dog be a dog, you tell it not the other way round.

:thumbs: fckin hell wilf some of your recent posts have been sesible -- have you banged your head or somthing .. mine used to be let out for a run in the morning around 7 and left till 6 o`clk no problem even now i`m at home more and week ends its the same routine -- once your in a routine stick by it -- other option leave it at your mums go round after work n weekends .. way back when i left home my mum would`nt let me take mine and shes got 1 of my retired bitchs now ...

I am very much boss over my lot...but I PERSONALLY don't think it is humane to leave a dog 11 hours a day....but hey ho what the f**k do I know on this sexist, arm chair hunter site pmsl.

Anyone who knows me respects me fully, even a guy who has bred some very well known dogs has said I am one of the best dog handler/owners he has ever met and respects me fully.....now from a bloke that has been in it since he was 12 that is a serious compliment

how old is he now 13 ... ?

The way im looking at it is - if i already lived on my own and was out the house 11 hours each day I wouldnt even consider getting a dog. but i already have the dog and it'd be going from being on its own for maybe 5 hours a day with the company of 2 other dogs to being totally alone for an extra 6 hours. im not trying to baby it im just trying to work out something sensible. Id quite happily build a nice big kennel and run but i dont think my budget will stretch to a garden big enough. when i got this dog i made a commitment to look after its best interests until it dies so im not going to get shot of it because my circumstances have changed so im guessing im stuck at home for a little while longer which id much rather that than get rid of my mutt!

Just do what you think is right,sounds like you have it sussed anyway.One other solution get your self a van/car and take it with you.

As long as they have food and water, leave them for as long as you need to (with in reason)....fannying around dogs leads to needy, nurotic animals.

If more folk treated dogs like dogs and didnt try to humanise them so much you would have a lot more happy animals in the world.

All this must walk at 6 and feed at 8 and wipe its arse every second thursday of the month will have the animal climbing the walls when you cant make the "date" sometime.

Let a dog be a dog, you tell it not the other way round.

bang on Wilf

my parents treat there dogs like kids nd they are the biggest pain in the arse ever when i have to look after them when they go on hoilday, they're dogs for f88ucks sake