Hunting Up.

How much daily exercise (free running) is getting each day? I find with the pures anyway if you don't give them enough they will take it for themselves.

Meeri's absolutely right, in that a saluki that's cream-crackered is a lot more biddable than one that's full of the joys of spring and keen to get off and over. Our last-but-one acquisition is (judging by his lines and bones and bit and bobs) a good chunk of Arab dog with a healthy dash of Beddie thrown in. Combine the tempraments and you can imagine that recall wasn't his easiest lesson to learn... But a combination of (1) running him absolutely ragged on the lead (and my own 10k race time came down no end as a result as well!) before doing any actual training, (2) starting over massively short distances, adn never ever moving on until that was more-than-secure, and (3) every time he came back, praising him to billy-o, but then sending him away until he was virtually begging to be allowed back at my heel

And no, it hasn't been 100% successful (he's still got his saluki blood and he's still got his Beddie temprament), but he's a world better than he was.

And three cheers for the "I'm not gettign rid of him just because he's not easy" attitude - if there were more people like you, there'd be less need for multiple rescuers like me :)

Great advice guys, thanks alot.

This is his exercise schedule. Mornings is a brisk on lead walk, after i give him 15mins to do his business i bring him to heel and we walk non stop for about an hour round our village. This doesn't effect him in the slightest and he's ready to go again when we get home. Me on the other hand, i'm knackered!

He gets his off lead walks in the afternoons, If we're just conditoning we're just down the kids palying feild and he free runs for about 30mins to an hour. We do distant recall training here and play retrieve games etc to tire him out. He gets pretty tired from this but by the time we've walked home he's fully recovered.

What else could i do to tire him? I've tried biking with him but that was just an accident waiting to happen.

Clip

Throw in my tuppence here, in my humble opinion the dog can't be broke from this, the paradox is that it is a game streak. Had a dog like this, a few years ago minute he lost his tail, he trailed country looking it or others. The dog inevitably became lost, three weeks in a row we scoured the country for him always finding miles from where fact that the dog has had success in this technique, reinforces the instinct. Your best bet is to give him no liberty until your quarry is pushed and hope he ends the course quickly. All the best

My bitch has alot of saluk in her, training was no prob, comes to heel every time. She is still only a wee pup still( 11months). Distance calling is also no prob.

Lets hope she stays that way. ;);)

Careful, Irish Lurcher - there's nothing worse than premature congratulation - lol :laugh:

Hope she stays that way.

[Long blether about salukis, wonderful or damned irritating deleted on reflection, as I remembered i'd said it a thousand times before at a dozen different shows :clapper: ]

Good hunting, insh' Allah

WELL LADS ,

I HAVE HAD SALUKI LURCHER TYPES FOR AROUND 20 YRS NOW , RAN THE FENS WITH LADS OF THE SAME MIND , LAMPED THEM....... EVEN FERRETED WITH THEM ........... HOWEVER , AS JUVINILES SOME SALUKI BLOODED DOGS GO THROUGH A BLOODY BAD STAGE , AND WILL COMPLETELY DISREGARD ALL COMMANDS......... WHICH HITHER TOO WERE BEING RECOGNISED , MOST WILL GROW THROUGH THIS STAGE , BUT A LOT OF LADS GET RID BEFORE . THATS HOW SO MANY YOUNGSTERS END UP ON THAT MERRY GO ROUND :no:

PERSONALLY AFTER SEEING MANY WITH THE " THROWING A DEAF UN " SYNDROME , .......... I WOULDNT HESITATE TO USE THE COLLAR ON THEM WITH BACK UP WHISTLES :yes:

BUT DONT WORRY ABOUT IT MATE ................ YOU WOULDNT BELIVE HOW MANY TOP CLASS COURSING MEN HAVE TO USE THE COLLAR ON JUVINILES TO GET THEM BACK ON THE SLIP :yes:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)