RECALL WHILST COURSING

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd be worried about the commitment of a dog that could be called off mid-course, but some people say they can do it.   Cheers.

I have never seen it done and would question the dogs commitment.I thought dogs that could be called off wile in hot pursuite only exsisted in plummer books.

Let it kill summat and when it’s crouched , put it back on the lead. Repeat . It will soon catch on 

I dont believe it is possible to call a dog off when it is in a full flight, head down, settled and locked on course. The adrenalins up and they dont even hear you, you could be shouting at the top of your lungs through a megafone and they will not take the slightest bit of notice. Mine will obay me if they havent started running yet but have seen the target so long as i have my "gruff" voice on, they realise i mean it and they do "leave it", although i do have to tell them "NO" or LEAVE IT YOU c**t" a few times untill it is out of sight. Once it is out of sight its no longer an issue and we can carry on our walk. Sometimes you have to play clever. Last week i was walking the dogs and noticed a herd of fallow deer in the scrub. There was a road either side of us and if either of my 5 had seen that lot it would of been carnage! What did i do? I whistled so i had the attention of all of them and ran FAST directly away from the deer shouting the dogs names. They thought i was chasing a rabbit and came hurtling along behind me trying to figure out where was the rabbit i had obviously seen! Lol! If they had seen those deer, no amount of shouting would of stopped them, they would of gone in and they wouldnt of stopped till a car hit them. It payes to be on the ball and to think fast.

It's really nice that this time round a load of folk have not come out swearing that it's possible and only good training etc. Aye there are times when it would be handy. . . . but can i feck.

Maybe that's because you can't educate pork .............................Good look with your packs of wild hounds :notworthy:

Good thread this.

Can Lurcher be called off its quarry whilst in hot pursuit; we are all assuming that it can’t be done, but can it be done and would there be a need to have the dog pull up on command.

Prior to the arrival of my latest member, I would have never in a million years thought that the need to have a dog sit on command or return while on the hunt could be beneficial to both of us. But I was proven wrong in the process of training my Springer.

Is this a macho thing among the hunting fraternity? Why cant we call off our dog in the case of a main road, or would we just continue to enjoy the course and then cry after the dog has been injured, thing I know which option I would choose had I the chance, would we the hunter and trainer of the dog be viewed as a failure and our dog called a jibber, think I could be willing to take that criticism on board if it ment my dog was not lying on a vets table.

I was out one evening with the Springer doing some light training, and we came across a injured crow, the pup gave chase and the crow went under a gate along the road side, having never trained a Springer I had always wondered why it was important to train a spring to sit at distance or return on command, I soon found out why. I did manage to sit the Springer at distance before she went under the gate, and guess what?? The crow was splattered on the road, don’t get me wrong here as my own lurchers wont ever look in my direction while on a hunt, but is it something that could be beneficial to both man and dog to go that one step further and train your dog to return on command, if and when possible.

Just food for thought.

• Like 1

It's really nice that this time round a load of folk have not come out swearing that it's possible and only good training etc. Aye there are times when it would be handy. . . . but can i feck.

Maybe that's because you can't educate pork .............................Good look with your packs of wild hounds :notworthy:

So out of twenty replies saying the same thing, i'm the one with the wild hounds?

Maybe one day if i reach the dizzying heights of your dog training standards this will change.

But to be fair, what a stupid comment.

Now be a good wee boy, and go play with traffic. :bye:

• Like 1

Good thread this.

Can Lurcher be called off its quarry whilst in hot pursuit; we are all assuming that it can’t be done, but can it be done and would there be a need to have the dog pull up on command.

Prior to the arrival of my latest member, I would have never in a million years thought that the need to have a dog sit on command or return while on the hunt could be beneficial to both of us. But I was proven wrong in the process of training my Springer.

Is this a macho thing among the hunting fraternity? Why cant we call off our dog in the case of a main road, or would we just continue to enjoy the course and then cry after the dog has been injured, thing I know which option I would choose had I the chance, would we the hunter and trainer of the dog be viewed as a failure and our dog called a jibber, think I could be willing to take that criticism on board if it ment my dog was not lying on a vets table.

I was out one evening with the Springer doing some light training, and we came across a injured crow, the pup gave chase and the crow went under a gate along the road side, having never trained a Springer I had always wondered why it was important to train a spring to sit at distance or return on command, I soon found out why. I did manage to sit the Springer at distance before she went under the gate, and guess what?? The crow was splattered on the road, don’t get me wrong here as my own lurchers wont ever look in my direction while on a hunt, but is it something that could be beneficial to both man and dog to go that one step further and train your dog to return on command, if and when possible.

Just food for thought.

I know what your saying mate, and with ANY living thing, there will be exceptions, no hard and fast rule. I think there will be some lurchers that you could call off, but i think most of tose would have a healthy dose of herding blood in them, and then i think it would be very situational, rather than a sure thing.

Now spaniels are a million miles away, and like you said it's due to training. The spaniels we have had here, could flush 1000 rabbits, and never take one half inch step forward in their pursuit, once flushed. They hunted with precision, at a set distance in front and to each side, hunted where sent on command, marked and flushed, dropped and froze perfectly to a whistle, and retrieved in all manner of ways.

A spaniel is not a catch dog, and had one of ours grabbed anything other than a runner (bird) they would have been gone before their feet could touch the ground. A lurcher however is a catch dog, conditioned for 1000's of years to strike and catch, the opposite of the spaniel.

Also in training and raising a lurcher, you encourage and develop this habit.

From my experiance of any dog training, consistency and repetition play a big part. The dog knows to chase rabbits, but when it comes to sheep, they are consistently told off, and so learn not to chase, even when a sheep dashes in front of them through the cover, they figure it out and come off. But even them accidents happen, i could take sheep broken lurchers to places where there would be a good chance of them killing a sheep.

When it comes to calling off quarry, i'm not sure how you would train and practice this?

At the end of the day, if my dog is within reaction distance, the distance in which my voice has a 'real' impact on him, them maybe could call him off a rabbit, like i can tell him to 'leave' one the other dog has caught, or a dead one. But mid chase, i don't think he can even hear me, travelling flat out, 200 yards away, on game, i think the dog is so in the zone that even screaming at the top of your lungs barely registers.

Comparing a spaniel to a running dog just isnt going to work, there are so many years of careful breeding there.

• Like 1

Good thread this.

Just food for thought.

I know what your saying mate, and with ANY living thing, there will be exceptions, no hard and fast rule. I think there will be some lurchers that you could call off, but i think most of tose would have a healthy dose of herding blood in them, and then i think it would be very situational, rather than a sure thing.

Now spaniels are a million miles away, and like you said it's due to training. The spaniels we have had here, could flush 1000 rabbits, and never take one half inch step forward in their pursuit, once flushed. They hunted with precision, at a set distance in front and to each side, hunted where sent on command, marked and flushed, dropped and froze perfectly to a whistle, and retrieved in all manner of ways.

A spaniel is not a catch dog, and had one of ours grabbed anything other than a runner (bird) they would have been gone before their feet could touch the ground. A lurcher however is a catch dog, conditioned for 1000's of years to strike and catch, the opposite of the spaniel.

From my experiance of any dog training, consistency and repetition play a big part. The dog knows to chase rabbits, but when it comes to sheep, they are consistently told off, and so learn not to chase, even when a sheep dashes in front of them through the cover, they figure it out and come off. But even them accidents happen, i could take sheep broken lurchers to places where there would be a good chance of them killing a sheep.

When it comes to calling off quarry, i'm not sure how you would train and practice this?

At the end of the day, if my dog is within reaction distance, the distance in which my voice has a 'real' impact on him, them maybe could call him off a rabbit, like i can tell him to 'leave' one the other dog has caught, or a dead one. But mid chase, i don't think he can even hear me, travelling flat out, 200 yards away, on game, i think the dog is so in the zone that even screaming at the top of your lungs barely registers.

Comparing a spaniel to a running dog just isnt going to work, there are so many years of careful breeding there.

Hear what you are saying and I must admit that its so nice to have good intellengent convrstaion for once on this site.

Have you ever trained a lurcher to the whistle?????

Good thread this.

Can Lurcher be called off its quarry whilst in hot pursuit; we are all assuming that it can't be done, but can it be done and would there be a need to have the dog pull up on command.

I was out one evening with the Springer doing some light training, and we came across a injured crow, the pup gave chase and the crow went under a gate along the road side, having never trained a Springer I had always wondered why it was important to train a spring to sit at distance or return on command, I soon found out why. I did manage to sit the Springer at distance before she went under the gate, and guess what?? The crow was splattered on the road, don't get me wrong here as my own lurchers wont ever look in my direction while on a hunt, but is it something that could be beneficial to both man and dog to go that one step further and train your dog to return on command, if and when possible.

Just food for thought.

100 pct spot on.

Good thread this.

Just food for thought.

Hear what you are saying and I must admit that its so nice to have good intellengent convrstaion for once on this site.

Have you ever trained a lurcher to the whistle?????

No problem. :thumbs:

I think a whistle is an essential tool in training / controlling any dog.

I've tried to emulate some of the spaniel stuff with running dog with limited success.

In my opinion the issue is the lack of consistency in commands.

I've no doubt that my old man could have a good try at training a lurcher as a gun dog, but it would never be as steady as a gun dog, and if it was close, it'd be because you had hammered the lurcher out of the dog. If that makes any sense. (just talking about the stopping on quarry).

Think of it like this -

You could take a 100% solid gun dog and ruin it in less than a week. The only way to keep it on track is to NEVER let it chase game EVER, or f**k about with it.

My fathers kennels had locks on to stop be 'borrowing' his dogs when i was too young to get this.

So out of twenty replies saying the same thing, i'm the one with the wild hounds?

Maybe one day if i reach the dizzying heights of your dog training standards this will change.

The second part of my reply wasn't aimed at just you. Just because something is hard it doesn't mean it can't be done. Some dog's can't be trained to the same standard as others no matter what you want to use them for, but doe's that mean we shouldn't bother trying???

The second part of my reply wasn't aimed at just you. Just because something is hard it doesn't mean it can't be done. Some dog's can't be trained to the same standard as others no matter what you want to use them for, but doe's that mean we shouldn't bother trying???

I know what your saying and theoretically speaking you are correct. However, whilst i think it would be possible to train a lurcher to, 'some where near', the standard of a spaniel (or other gundog) for stopping to a command on game, in order to do so with any high level of success, would require a training regime that purposefully dismantled what you are trying to achieve in the dog.

We are not talking about recall.

We are not talking about stock breaking.

We are not talking about shouting a dog thats 20 yrds away from you in, when it's seen a quarry species 100 yards away.

We are talking about calling a dog that is in full pursuit and has 'got up on' its quarry off, mid chase.

Now in my estimation that would be a hard task with most lurchers.

And would be a sign of failure in most spaniels.

I think your last sentence would make more sense if it read "Some dog's can't be trained to the same standard as others DUE TO what you want to use them for, but doe's that mean we shouldn't bother trying???

Thats your call. :thumbs:

iv never had a dog i could call off a chase definately far beyond my training capabilities to say the least although i do not dismiss the idea that it can be done and could prove useful in certain situations.

there is a guy on here who has trained a dog to do this and from reading his posts i would never have any reason to disbelieve him as its pretty obvious he knows his stuff and his knowledge is to be admired,well by me anyway,if its good enough reason for him to think of it being useful and not undermining the worth of the dog in any way then thats good enough for me also :thumbs: