can an old dog

just a thought, but am after a lurcher, but not wanting to rush out and take the first one that comes along,

but am torn between either bedlington/whippet cross?

or

saluki cross with ????

we already have a jack russel so will need to get on with her ok,

so my main question;

seems most on here have views on when to train, but if a dog/bitch was found at a rehoming centre, that was prehaps older.. maybe 1yr to 2yrs that had only been kept as a pet, could it be trained for hunting?, or would it have the chase instinct in there and was just waiting for you to let it out...if that makes sense

I have a rehomed bitch and she is fantastic, not a world beater......but a good hunting companion and can get round a bit of tackle as well :yes: ........

She allways gives me 110% and thats all that matters to me..........took a while to get her fit, but then she took to it like a duck to water........took me a little while to find a type I was looking for, one that at least looked as if it had all the tools in the box so to speak......

She has learned me a lot, and I will allways be gratefull to to her for that.........so I would say, take your time, select a beast that at least looks like it may be able to do the business and spend time getting to know the animal and getting it fit..........because when you sign on the dotted line, you have got the dog for life.........a rescue deserves nothing less.

Good luck :victory:

J

By the way Stubby, I got mine from Battersea Dogs Home, they will rehome to working homes......www.dogshome.org

Edited by JOEB

we rehomed a saluki bull whippet from a rescue centre , took him out he done rather well , but be carefull as if you get one from a centre and it doesnt work , what are you going to do , keep it still as a pet? , you dont want it just ending up back there do you , ours got out and even though he was chipped we still havent found him ( he will be with some jippo lol) , nice dog he was aswell , people will have differnt views but i think it would be ok ,

Dale

I think that as long as you take your time picking one,and,you don't expect too much too soon then you should do alright.Do you have any experience of training dogs especially lurcher types,if not please do your homework because the dog deserves it.After all as someone said the last thing the dog needs is to end up back in a rehoming centre.Maybe if you have a friend with a lurcher it would pay to let yours watch them run a few,just so it knows what is expected........Good luck anyway!

Do you have any experience of training dogs especially lurcher types

good point there martin, but that's why I aint rushing out, Im always harping on to people that buy ferrets, and then say.......er how do you look after them, no the reason I asked (joeb hit it on head) is looked on battersea website and they had a couple of nice looking dogs, but they say these dogs have probs because they chase anything that moves, which although sounds good I presume you only want your dog chasing the desired quarry, and not cars/bikes/young kids etc etc

My girl was with the behaviour unit Stubby, the description was:

Cant be near other dogs

Lead jelousy (spel)

Not near children

Cant be let off the lead

Strong on lead

I am lucky in that I have been around dogs of one type or another most of my life, so it took me about a week to put a stop to these issues.

I think they make it out to be much worse than it is in order to put off novice owners and rightly so IMHO........better that than to get the dog back.

I will send you a PM ;)

J

thats the one I was already looking at terrierman

thanks for the pm joeb

I'll give it a few more weeks till were in our new place in grays, then get the ball rolling, at least I now know rehoming a dog is a possibility

hi to all that left advice, have found a dog on a lurcher rehoming site that we like the look off, so can any of you lot tell us what this mix is like, he's around 2yrs 29" deerhound greyhound x deerhound/saluki/greyhound

test5.jpg

hi to all that left advice, have found a dog on a lurcher rehoming site that we like the look off, so can any of you lot tell us what this mix is like, he's around 2yrs 29" deerhound greyhound x deerhound/saluki/greyhound

test5.jpg

Nice dog that stubby good luck if you decide to get him. ;)